Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Cottage Stone Fire Pit Circle

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Cottage Stone Fire Pit Circle

Back before the 4th of July, my son helped me clean-out the old fire pit we've been using the past 23 years. When that was finished, a better, more convenient spot was chosen off the back of our covered concrete patio. I laid out small Cottage Stone Landscape Blocks to form a natural ring, based on the size of the blocks, marked the circumference, and we began removing the sod. The soil and sod went to the previously cleaned out fire pit to put it back to a grass area. Once this was done, we laid out the Cottage Stone Blocks to form the new pit. It worked great for the 4th of July gathering.

This is what I had laid out for the time being.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firepit_4ft.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	639756

Name:	20180630_130036.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	639758

A few days ago I was browsing OfferUp, and I found my holy grail. The ideal solution. A section of 5/16" wall x 36" diameter x 20" tall, Stainless Steel pipe that was already cut perfectly for a fire pit ring.
    The seller (metal scrap guy) had it listed for $300 OBO. It was a 2-1/2 hour drive one way to get there, so I offered the seller $200. He accepted, I drove to get it. Some of you may think I'm nuts for driving such a long distance for a piece of pipe. Good assumption. Because finding something like what I got could easily sell for a grand. Finding a piece of stainless like what I got, is rare in my parts.

Anyway, here she be for the time being. It's off my truck. It's time for a beer.

Name:	20180722_124522.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	639760

Now I'll be figuring dimensions for the concrete slab/sitting area around the ring, and a concrete pathway adjoining from our patio to the fire pit.
    Plans are to have a stainless grill attached to a stainless rod, so it will rotate around over the fire for cooking.
    mjncad, Bubber, Levi and 15 others like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Little update. The stainless ring is in place. I stoked it with a small amount of cardboard and dry wood. After the initial burn of the cardboard dissipated, the heat that was emitted from the ring was real nice and radiant to a moderate distance. Then comes the stainless grill. 2ft x 2ft expanded metal, and 3/8" stainless rod. That will be held to the side of the fire pit ring so it rotates on a 1" stainless shaft. I still need to make the two pieces that will allow rotation, and a stop-collar for height on the 1" shaft. All said and done, the grill will have a 90 degree upwards lip around the perimeter, to keep hotdogs and sausages from rolling off into the coals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180723_123557.jpg   Grille.jpg  
    Last edited by Boonie; 07-26-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    mjncad, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-28-2019 @ 05:08 PM
    Thanks
    You did good finding that stainless!
    mjncad, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 1023E with front loader and 54" deck
    John Deere ballast box....JD 647 tiller....County Line 5' rear blade....Howse 4' rotary cutter.
    All the following are homemade....Brush guard/front weight bar with weights....boom pole....middle buster....front hoe bucket....pallet forks....bed for hauling tools....rear weight bar/hitch....snow plow.... box blade....and anti scalp roller on the deck as seen on TTWT
    Modified ROP....LED lights on the ROP and ammo boxes for tools.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickin_killa For This Useful Post:

Boonie (08-03-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickin_killa View Post
    You did good finding that stainless!
    These stainless rings put out a type of heat that I really can't describe. In otherwords, the heat is transferred by the ring. Not like open fire, or blaring hot coals that burn your skin. It's really awesome.
    A day ago I went to the local recyclers in search of stainless bits & pieces. I found the 1" rod for the post and was about to walk away. Then I spotted two other "hard to finds" Commercial size washer and dryer tubs. Also stainless. They're approx 1/8" wall. The dryer tub is 34" diameter, the washer tub us is 36" diameter. Both about 30" in height. I grabbed them as well....for close friends (after they experience my fire pit) if they are wanting to build one for themselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180724_105100.jpg  
    Last edited by Boonie; 07-26-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    mjncad, bhill, Levi and 4 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We made a grill out of stainless at work on one job we were on......it holds the heat big time and will last forever!
    mjncad, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere ballast box....JD 647 tiller....County Line 5' rear blade....Howse 4' rotary cutter.
    All the following are homemade....Brush guard/front weight bar with weights....boom pole....middle buster....front hoe bucket....pallet forks....bed for hauling tools....rear weight bar/hitch....snow plow.... box blade....and anti scalp roller on the deck as seen on TTWT

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Given your Avatar, I'd think you could come up with something comparable to mine, eh?

My efforts to get the grill done for this weekend (to slide over/rotate on the post) wasn't doable today. So I improvised.
    I cut a piece of fence "T" post and notched it for the grill frame, so the grill stays put.
    Just temporary. We got dogs and sausages to cook. And whiskey to drink whilst we relax around the fire this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grille_Temp.jpg   Grill_Temp1.jpg  
    mjncad, Levi, flyweight and 5 others like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thats nice! The radiant heat from the pipe should be really nice in the fall months. Have you considered re-doing the stones so that they hug the pipe?
    Levi and Herminator like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Thats nice! The radiant heat from the pipe should be really nice in the fall months. Have you considered re-doing the stones so that they hug the pipe?
    The Cottage Stones are definitely not staying. I'm still pondering aesthetics and what's available for brick or stone. The interior base currently has the Cottage Stone. That will be changed out to fire brick for longevity and ease of cleaning out the ash. Around the exterior radius (the air space), I'm considering leaving that gap. I may bore 6-8.. 1" holes spaced evenly in radius of the ring, about 10" up from the bottom. For draft. Then line the outer most radius of the gap with "thin" rolled stainless flashing....then fill the gap with Lava Rock for a natural low draw of air. This is just one of my ideas.
    Last edited by Boonie; 07-27-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55, johnH123 and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The fire ring I made I used my plasma cutter and cut out leaf shapes. It works good for letting the fire breath and it looks neat at night I would love to get my paws on that stainless pipe you have LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attach0 (15).jpg   Attach0 (18).jpg  
    mjncad, Levi, keane and 2 others like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Last night was the official christening...Ode To the Pit. The grill worked excellently after the Luminescence Seasoning. Stainless sure is pretty.
    There was just one Brat committed to the coal bed the whole evening. Plenty of reminiscing around the ring as well.
    mjncad, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast