• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By Boonie

Thread: Close quarters oil funnel

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks

Close quarters oil funnel

Our standby generator has a sound enclosure that makes filling the oil without spillage almost impossible. I tried every technique I knew last year and still made a real mess. Then, I read that PVC can be bent using a heat gun or blow dryer. With my new custom funnel and a bungee cord, changing oil is a breeze. I know folks sell specialty funnels, but I can't imagine anything that would be better or cheaper than this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180803_095545.jpg   20180803_095736.jpg  
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Great solution! Will keep this in mind - might need to do this to something in the future.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Looks good!! I use one of these when filling the transaxle on my X500 but I don't think it would bend at a sharp enough angle at the end to work for you.

I'm always puzzled when manufacturers design something like this. I mean, how did they think folks would maintain it? Especially something as routine as an oil change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails funnel.jpg  
    Levi likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    Yikes! That is a crazy difficult location for the fill on that thing-makes you wonder why the top lid doesn’t come off?!??!??
    Levi likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Looks good!! I use one of these when filling the transaxle on my X500 but I don't think it would bend at a sharp enough angle at the end to work for you.
    Yep -- I tried one of those last year. I couldn't get it bent to vertical, and didn't have enough hands to stabilize it while pouring anyway...
    Levi likes this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    Yep -- I tried one of those last year. I couldn't get it bent to vertical, and didn't have enough hands to stabilize it while pouring anyway...
    I know what you mean. I use some mechanics wire to hold it in place while I am pouring.
    Levi likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm always puzzled when manufacturers design something like this. I mean, how did they think folks would maintain it? Especially something as routine as an oil change.
    I've found myself several times thinking I had plenty of gas in the tank as I was heading home. Only to see the gas gauge lower than I expected as I reached the gate of my property. Next thing I find, is how in the heck am I going to get the large filler spout on my military gas cans in that tiny unleaded baffle. I have one of them snakey spout funnels!! Grandpas. About 50yrs old, with no stand at attention left in it. Trying to hold that floppy thing upright...left knee pushing on the fuel door to hold the funnel, while trying my best to balance on the right leg, as I stood there shaking, as it took all I could muster to hold the full 5gal can..trying to regulate the flow from the large filler neck to the small necked funnel....where I was eventually covered in gas. That funnel was limper than my
    johnH123 likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements