• 1 Post By nastorino
  • 3 Post By 56Nine

Thread: A project for a friend....

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks

A project for a friend....

I know this isn't tractor related and most shop projects are metal fabrication, so this is a bit off the beaten path. Here's a piece I finished the other evening, here's a little backstory. A very close friend of mine was recently diagnosed as an alcoholic, he has been through an in-patient treatment and is now participating in an out-patient program, and he's doing remarkably well with his own recovery.

Last spring I started sandblasting glass, anything from pub glasses, to retirement custom gifts and wanted to make him a gift that had meaning for him at this point in his life. He chose the content, and some may recognize it. He's expecting the glass, but not the frame. The wood I built the frame from is native black walnut that grew on his grandfather's farm; the same farm he grew up on. His brother (unbeknownst to my friend) hooked me up with the walnut. It is perhaps the hardest and most beautiful walnut I've ever worked with. I think it will be pretty special when I give it to him with lots of meaningful connections.

The glass is 1/4" thick with the letters sandblasted into to the back side in reverse. The frame is roughly 1.5"x.75" with a surrounding band that's about 3/16"x1". There's a piece of black foam board behind the glass, with a piece of black matte stencil vinyl sandwiched between the glass and foam board to make the letters pop. If he ever chooses a different color, it's easy to swap out.

I was pretty proud of the miters, I used my Kreg precision miter gauge, with a regular carbide blade. The stain is Behlen Solar-Lux, Medium Brown Walnut, with a few drops of dark brown trans-tint added to denatured alcohol. The top coat is semi-gloss Arm-R-Seal. The light glare is way brighter in the picture than in real life.

Part of me thinks it's too shiny, part of me likes it. I think it will be fine, the best part will be giving it to him.

Closeup of the miter

The wall hanging...(sorry for the glare)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180803_160240.jpg   IMG_20180803_161351.jpg  
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Looks NICE! You did a good job on it! I haven't had any alcohol in 32 years now. I love working with Walnut it just cuts so nice on my Robland K26 Cabinet Saw given to me from my Mother in Law. Her husband passed away and she knew I loved his equipment and gave me a bunch of it. Still working on my Wood Shop. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/w...e/DSCF3628.JPG
    I have a bunch of Cherry Wood to last me a lifetime. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/w...e/DSCF3787.JPG
    Last edited by JD4044M; 08-05-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Levi and 7 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    Looks NICE! I love working with Walnut it just cuts so nice on my Robland K26 Cabinet Saw given to me from my Mother in Law. Her husband passed away and she knew I loved his equipment and gave me a bunch of it. Still working on my Wood Shop. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/w...e/DSCF3628.JPG
    I have a bunch of Cherry Wood to last me a lifetime. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/w...e/DSCF3787.JPG
    I too love walnut, it'll test your skills, it burns easily. That's an awesome looking saw! Mine is just a simple little Delta Contractors saw with a full cast iron top (no stamped steel wings).
    mjncad, etcallhome, Levi and 4 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (08-05-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    Wow, beautiful job.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Looks good
    etcallhome, Levi, 56Nine and 4 others like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Very nice work. I'm sure he will appreciate it and the time you spent on it.
    etcallhome, 56Nine and Fozsey like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts
    Great looking gift for your friend.
    56Nine likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    That's awesome work 56nine, I would love to have something awesome made up for my wife for our home.

How'd you get into doing this?
    Fozsey likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    That's awesome work 56nine, I would love to have something awesome made up for my wife for our home.

How'd you get into doing this?
    That's a great question, and as it turns out a series of mashed together interests, spanning generations of wood workers, and self made engineers. I don't have the need to do lots of metal work, so I substitute in woodworking. This past spring I decided I wanted to make a glass etching set up...just because I was looking for an element to complement the woodworking.

Couple the flexibility of creating something no one else is doing, plus the ability to take a plain chunk of glass and turning it into a one of a kind piece of artwork; this satisfies some sort of inner zen quest. I know, it's cheezy...but it does keep me out of trouble!

If you are interested in something, I would most certainly be willing to talk with you. Fire me a PM and let's chat.
    Last edited by 56Nine; 08-12-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    Tomfive, Treefarmer and Fozsey like this.
    Darwin

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements