• 3 Post By firemachine69
  • 2 Post By Roger47

Thread: Fixing Chinese tires . . .

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks

Fixing Chinese tires . . .

Has anyone had any success in fixing those cheap crap tires that come on things like portable hose reels? Like this one? I was thinking of filling the tires with Stuff (the sealing/insulating foam)? Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Just install a tube?

Or tire slime?
    jgayman and PJR832 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks
    You could add some Slime to them to plug leaks, but it seems that sometimes it does not work all that well.

Or, you could just make them flat proof by filling them with foam. See some examples below.

Dave

JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    I have several things with similar tires - hose reel, muck bucket carts, portable generator, power washer, and the one thing they all have in common is their tire size, 4.10/3.50-4.

And all the tires have inner tubes, which are very easy to replace. No special tools are required.

I order mine from Amazon for around $6.50 each, but I have noticed that they are on the shelves at my local Tractor Supply, Lowes, and Home Depot. The ones I get from Amazon have angled valve stems, making them easier to fill than the ones that come installed with the original tires. Plus, a new tube is a sure fix, and usually costs less than buying a can of fix-a-flat or slime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tube.jpg  
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 08-30-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    wildbranch2007 and PJR832 like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks

LiquiTube

I'd go with LiquiTube over Slime just because it's so hard to get Slime out if you have to change the tire. I put LiquiTube in a dry rotted wheel barrow tire and didn't expect it to work but the tire is still holding air.

Nothing wrong with the foam filled or solid tires either. It may change but it's hard to find many US made tires right now. Most sidewalls say China, Indonesia, Korea etc.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    Just install a tube?
    Tires have tubes already.

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Or, you could just make them flat proof by filling them with foam. See some examples below.

Dave
    Thanks for the videos. Those are perzactly along the lines I was thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    I have several things with similar tires - hose reel, muck bucket carts, portable generator, power washer, and the one thing they all have in common is their tire size, 4.10/3.50-4.

And all the tires have inner tubes, which are very easy to replace. No special tools are required.
    I will look for tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I'd go with LiquiTube over Slime just because it's so hard to get Slime out if you have to change the tire.

Treefarmer
    Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I was going to try the foam, but will first try a tube or two. Two of the four tires still hold air. I took one of the tubes to town and had patched a couple of yrs ago. Not sure if it's one that holds air now. Will check. I have most of the stuff to patch tubes. We had just moved and it was hidden in a box somewhere at the time.
    PJR832 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Never had any luck keeping air in tires like that, even with tubes in them. I don't buy anything that has tires like that on them anymore.
    spferdil, 69project and PJR832 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    I've never had any luck with these things either, and I hate tubes, always had more flats with them than with tubeless.

TSC has flat-free tires in this common size, pretty pricey but show to be on sale this weekend.

Flat-free tires

Harbor Freight has some flat-frees also but haven't seen this size there.
    mjncad, Levi and Roger47 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    Tires have tubes already.

Thanks for the videos. Those are perzactly along the lines I was thinking....

I will look for tubes.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I was going to try the foam, but will first try a tube or two. Two of the four tires still hold air. I took one of the tubes to town and had patched a couple of yrs ago. Not sure if it's one that holds air now. Will check. I have most of the stuff to patch tubes. We had just moved and it was hidden in a box somewhere at the time.

I've noticed many Harbour Freight-like specials often don't have tubes. I gues the $0.08 was too much for them.

I've personally gone completely to flat-free tires, as long as it isn't something I ride.
    mjncad, Levi and Roger47 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

UPDATE - Fixing Chinese tires

Here's an update. Was into the city on Friday and got a couple of tubes at North 40. $4.99 ea. Put one in on Saturday. The angled valve stem did not seem right, but OK.

I have since found all my tire patching stuff except the cement. Was in town today so got some at NAPA. Set out to patch the other tube. Of course, the Aerosol rubber buffer did not spray. My 20/20 hind sight suggests I should have tested it. I guess the Do Not Puncture warning on the can was laying towards the bench. Anyway, I did not see it, so poked two holes in the can and drained it into a jam jar. I had squeezed the can first and it was "obvious by inspection" that there was no pressure. Not that I'd advise that practice, or, in other words, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME.

I patched the tube that I had taken out on Saturday. Its leak was about the same spot as the one I had patched at the tire shop a couple of years ago, right near the valve stem. Then pulled off the other wheel with the flat and put the patched tube in it. This one happened to be the one that was patched at the tire shop. The leak was right at the edge of the patch. I put another patch on so if it works, I now have a spare tube.

Next time, I may try the Stuff and convert these into semi-pneumatic, flat free tires. This hose cart would be a good place to try that, anyway.
    Levi and Treefarmer like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements