Like Tree5Likes

Thread: UV water filter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks

UV water filter

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have a UV water filter and what some of the pros and cons are of it.

I have very good "city" water delivered by truck into 2 large cisterns, but I am thinking of adding a UV filter to be safe. I am thinking of hauling my own water too, instead of having it delivered, so just want to hopefully prevent any problems if I don't keep my tank and/or hose perfectly clean, or if I don't use it for a couple of months and "stuff" grows in the tank or something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    There are not really any cons other than the bulb needs to be changed at certain intervals. My friend works in waste water treatment and has stated in the past that UV lights are used as part of the disinfectant process for converting river water to potable water.

I would get the opinion of someone with a water treatment license on this but I bet there is enough chlorine added in the initial water treatment process to keep algae and bacteria from growing in the cistern.

My thoughts would be to install a whole home water filter and call it done. Periodic water testing to keep your mind at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mjncad likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    In my experience UV lights are used to treat water for hiking/backpacking (Steri Pen) But I have yet to see any device for that purpose or for the home that will FILTER water with UV light.

UV light is just that, light-it is used to kill microorganisms and things like certain bacteria, it leaves them in the water however because these lights have no mechanism to do any physical filtering or screening.

Proper water treatment should both kill any unwanted things in the water(chemically, UV, heat, etc.) and filter it to remove those and any other impurities thus purifying it completely.

Any part of the process is good, but it’s not complete with just one type or device.

I’d suggest some type of filter to go along with your UV light-at minimum a fiberglass or better a carbon type that’ll filter down as small as you can get, run your water thru both and you should be all set.
    Last edited by balrog006; 09-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    mjncad likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    In my experience UV lights are used to treat water for hiking/backpacking (Steri Pen) But I have yet to see any device for that purpose or for the home that will FILTER water with UV light.
    I suspect that what the OP is referring to is a home water filtration system that also includes a UV light for purification. A quick Google search turned up lots of them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UV.jpg
    mjncad and wildbranch2007 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I suspect that what the OP is referring to is a home water filtration system that also includes a UV light for purification. A quick Google search turned up lots of them.

That was exactly my point though, there are filters with UV lights built in and UV lights with attached filters but a light cannot filter anything-it’s a light and UV is a light not a filter

The OP may have ‘meant’ a filter with a UV light like you posted, but he said “UV Filter”-I have never seen a UV ‘light’ that has any filtering capability-you have to add a filter to the light to have both.
    Last edited by balrog006; 09-21-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry, with my "newbieness" to this subject (and hence why I am asking these questions) I did call it the wrong name. It is not a "filter" but a "disinfection system" like this https://viqua.com/product/d4-2/?_sft...-tags=for-home one.

I would add a 5 micron filter before the UV disinfection system.

I like the one in the link because it has a UV light sensor to determine that enough UV light is getting into the water. I do not have a water softener, so my understanding is that scale could build up on the quartz sleeve and not enough UV light would be emitted as the scale builds up, so I will have to remove the sleeve and clean it. The hardness is about 12-15 gpg and ideally a UV system needs under 7. I don't know if I would have to clean the sleeve like every week or every 3 months kind of thing

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    I’ll chime in. I installed a rainfresh UV light to my home. Before that I have a 5 micron sediment filter. Just make sure your outside water is before that.

It cost around 400$ CDN to install. That was with lowes contractor discount of 15% at the time. The bulb id say is on a 365 day timer and let’s you know when to change it. The bulbs are about 100$ here.

Every 3 months or so I turn the system off and wipe the crystal tube the bulb sits in as it gets dirty. After having my water tested it no longer showed coliform (animal poop).

I do have a lot of iron and will be adding their backwash air injection system this winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB8BF49D-3424-49B1-B4A9-1A4030F36DE6_1538234983088.jpeg
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    Iíll chime in. I installed a rainfresh UV light to my home. Before that I have a 5 micron sediment filter. Just make sure your outside water is before that.

It cost around 400$ CDN to install. That was with lowes contractor discount of 15% at the time. The bulb id say is on a 365 day timer and letís you know when to change it. The bulbs are about 100$ here.

Every 3 months or so I turn the system off and wipe the crystal tube the bulb sits in as it gets dirty. After having my water tested it no longer showed coliform (animal poop).

I do have a lot of iron and will be adding their backwash air injection system this winter
    Thanks dombougie! Any idea how hard your water is? Also how dirty is the tube after 3 months and do you think you are still getting enough UV penetration at the 3 month mark?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    My water isn’t to hard. Can’t find my last test. It doesn’t get very dirty still plenty of UV light. The manufacturer suggests cleaning the crystal tube the light sits in when the bulb is replaced. I’d recommend doing it sooner.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    My water isnít to hard. Canít find my last test. It doesnít get very dirty still plenty of UV light. The manufacturer suggests cleaning the crystal tube the light sits in when the bulb is replaced. Iíd recommend doing it sooner.
    Understood, thanks!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast