Like Tree28Likes

Thread: How to make old oil based paint dry

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks

How to make old oil based paint dry

Hi all,
    I have been doing painting around the house. Ran out of the new oil based paint I had purchased recently and remembered I had an old can of Sherwin Williams of the same color. Can is most likely 18 years old. Used a mixer on the electric drill as everything had settled out. Seemed to mix up just fine. Painted the inside of the garage exterior door with it. Seemed a little thick, but spread ok. Have been waiting days now for it to dry out and it is still tacky. It is green....(hunter green) Just not JD green, although the wife was thinking I was going to paint it that. Any suggestions?
    Bill
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 10-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    BigJim55, Robnik and Herminator like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,082 Posts
    too bad u didn't mix in a bit of thinner, while stirring it up. might of then dried fasterother than that--i have the faintest idea to help ya.
    Robnik and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Years ago I brought home some OLD paints. Quality stuff, and never opened. Some of it dated back over 50 years, but it mixed up well and spread fine.
    I also come to the same situation as you are now, several times. Some dried, but it took longer than you would expect, some didn't, and it had to be scraped off and wiped down to get it off.
    Heat and air circulation is your best friend. Actually your last resort before things get real messy. Meaning clean it all off, or toss the door and get another one.
    Last edited by Boonie; 10-29-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    Hi all,
    I have been doing painting around the house. Ran out of the new oil based paint I had purchased recently and remembered I had an old can of Sherwin Williams of the same color. Can is most likely 18 years old. Used a mixer on the electric drill as everything had settled out. Seemed to mix up just fine. Painted the inside of the garage exterior door with it. Seemed a little thick, but spread ok. Have been waiting days now for it to dry out and it is still tacky. It is green....(hunter green) Just not JD green, although the wife was thinking I was going to paint it that. Any suggestions?
    Bill
    I have never had that issue using old paint but maybe some heat will help you out? If it's been cold in your area and maybe it has or humid/damp, that may be why it's taking so long to dry? If you have a portable heater like a kerosine torpedo heater run it for a bit and see what happens... At this point you have nothing to lose! If all else fails wash it down with thinner and start over with new paint? Sorry, that's the best I can offer.. You didn't paint with oil over latex did you? That's a no-no.. I have seen that occur and take forever to dry and really just peeled off.. Last resort, call Sherwin Williams rep at your nearest paint store and ask them what can be done. Good luck..
    mjncad, Robnik and Herminator like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Are you sure that the paint while in storage did not fully or partially freeze. I would call S-W's help line & ask them. But since you already used it, I don't see much you can do about it but given enough time it will probably dry. The question is will it hold up or fail & under what conditions.
    Robnik likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Oil paints (aka alkyd enamels) do not "dry" per se, they cure.

Two steps - solvent evaporation and then polymerization. Modern alkyds use synthetic resins to speed up the cure. The older natural resins cured by oxidation, for which you need heat and oxygen. The curing process produces some of its own heat (this is why you have to be careful about disposing of linseed and oil paint soaked rags lest they spontaneously combust).

Point a salamander at it for 8 hours and see if that advances things along.

Al
    mjncad, Treefarmer and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Are you sure that the paint while in storage did not fully or partially freeze. I would call S-W's help line & ask them. But since you already used it, I don't see much you can do about it but given enough time it will probably dry. The question is will it hold up or fail & under what conditions.
    The freezing point of old school oil paint, i.e. linseed oil based, is -4F, which is damn cold for the inside of even an unheated structure. Regardless, freezing these types of paints will slow oxidation and thus actually help preserve them.

Al
    Herminator likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys. Will try the suggestions. I think it was to thick. May have to scrape some areas. Some have almost dried. Oh well. Live and learn. Should not have frozen where it was.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Take the door on a vacation to Arizona for a week?
    mjncad, Kennyd, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    In the distant past, my own observation has been that when paint freezes & then thaws & you have it sitting around a while & you go to mix-stir it before use, it has lumps in it like that of cottage cheese & those lumps will not break down & mix smoothly. Just my experience with it many many years ago.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast