Cutting shadow / reveal lines in suspended ceiling tiles using router and table saw.
Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By ultra7350
  • 2 Post By grandpajay
  • 1 Post By tj1

Thread: Cutting shadow / reveal lines in suspended ceiling tiles using router and table saw.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks

Cutting shadow / reveal lines in suspended ceiling tiles using router and table saw.

I'm just posting this because I didn't find anything by using Google search. Using a router to cut shadow lines in ceiling tile. I'm no pro at using a utility knife to cut the recessed lines in the tiles like the pros. I even tried Toolpro shadowline cutter TP05110 with no luck. I have the thicker tiles for sound transfer. So the set guide depth on the tool was not right for my tiles. So I will be returning the Toolpro with extra blades.
    So I decided to use my table saw to cut all the partial ceilings tiles around walls. Using a router table to cut the shadow lines works great for nice clean cuts. Yes it is going to create a lot of dust so you will want to do it outside. Safety glasses and dust mask will be a must. I learned to install the cut edges against the wall so I don't have to paint to match the tile. This is for my basement ceiling. I also have a walk out basement. So I don't need to go up/down stairs to make cuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181104_140324949.jpg  
    Last edited by ultra7350; 11-04-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Kennyd, keane, tj1 and 5 others like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ultra7350 For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (11-04-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    I'll offer the suggestion to make a "sled" to protect the tile face. Not an issue if you are painting the tiles, anyway.
    keane and Fozsey like this.
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

5. Top | #3
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    I'm just posting this because I didn't find anything by using Google search. Using a router to cut shadow lines in ceiling tile. I'm no pro at using a utility knife to cut the recessed lines in the tiles like the pros. I even tried Toolpro shadowline cutter TP05110 with no luck. I have the thicker tiles for sound transfer. So the set guide depth on the tool was not right for my tiles. So I will be returning the Toolpro with extra blades.
    So I decided to use my table saw to cut all the partial ceilings tiles around walls. Using a router table to cut the shadow lines works great for nice clean cuts. Yes it is going to create a lot of dust so you will want to do it outside. Safety glasses and dust mask will be a must. I learned to install the cut edges against the wall so I don't have to paint to match the tile. This is for my basement ceiling. I also have a walk out basement. So I don't need to go up/down stairs to make cuts.
    We used to use a good stackable dado blade to get what you are doing on ceiling tiles,, and wore masks, hearing and eye protection and a hat, lots of dust those tiles make... Careful with one of those adjustable dado blades they may tear up the clean edge of the tile on ya.... A good router table works too with a shop vac attached and hold down attachments... If you have a feed attachment that is also a great tool for cutting shadow lines. Right speed and nice clean cuts.
    Fozsey likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements