Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Need Advice re Oscillating Tool

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks

Need Advice re Oscillating Tool

Have two or three projects where an oscillating tool would work really well. Have almost settled on the DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR described here DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR Lithium-Ion Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit - Power Oscillating Tools - Amazon.com. I'm already committed to the DeWalt 20v batteries so that helped guide my selection of this kit.

It's kinda pricey though and I wonder if long-term it would be worth the over $200 price for the kit.

Need some guidance from those of you who routinely use an oscillating tool. Don't expect to justify it but would appreciate any advice you can offer.
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    I regularly use a Fein MultiMaster, the original "oscillating" tool, I bought it before the patent ran out so they where the only ones available. I have used a the 20v Dewalt, and if I needed one today I would not hesitate to buy it since I also have the batteries. My neighbor has a Dremel version, and it's weak and under powered compared to the Fein and Dewalt.

ETA: I used some new Bosch Carbide blades this past weekend to cut some nails, holy cow they are awesome!
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphtt View Post
    Have two or three projects where an oscillating tool would work really well. Have almost settled on the DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR described here DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR Lithium-Ion Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit - Power Oscillating Tools - Amazon.com. I'm already committed to the DeWalt 20v batteries so that helped guide my selection of this kit.

It's kinda pricey though and I wonder if long-term it would be worth the over $200 price for the kit.

Need some guidance from those of you who routinely use an oscillating tool. Don't expect to justify it but would appreciate any advice you can offer.
    My buddy bought one a year ago. After using it while helping him on a home improvement project, I also bought one. Pricey for sure, but worth every penny. We both bought the exact same DeWalt kit you linked in your post. I also bought mine on Amazon and had it in 2 days.
    BTW if you already have the batteries, they do sell just the tool for around $100. No kit though.

Get it, I promise you won’t regret it
    Last edited by WifeSaidOK; 11-07-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:16 AM
    Thanks
    I have the Ridgid multi tool, and I absolutely love it. I don't want to try to change your mind on your decision, but the Ridgid version has all sorts of head accessories. From a jig saw to reciprocating saw, drywall router, right angle drill. They are well made and everytime I use it, I appreciate it more.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys. you're about to solidify my thinking. Considered the 'tool only' deal but the kit includes a five blade set that sells for $33. With the other kit items the kit price seems reasonable.

No hurry so may look for a Black Friday sale before purchase. Also, I get a discount at Lowe's that brings the kit price down to about $208. That may be worth checking out . . .
    Superglidesport and OxPath like this.
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    P.S. If this is your first oscillating tool...
    Be sure to move the blade back and forth slightly when cutting to keep individual teeth from overheating. If you hold it still, blade life will be very short.

For certain jobs, there's absolutely nothing better than one of these tools!
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Don't have Dewalt in vib saws but Rockwell corded instead. As these die, we will be replacing with yellow 20s since we already own a bazillion batteries.
    Superglidesport likes this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    I don't use mine a ton but use the better Harbor Freight one with the adjustable speeds, works for my uses.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    2017 2038R, 72" MMM, 220R Loader, 60" Frontier Box Blade, Land pride Rotary Spreader, 59" JD Snowblower, 60" KK Tiller, 60" KK rotary cutter, Artillian Forks, KK Carry All.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    I use a low-grade Mastercraft 20V cordless version. Already killed one within about twenty or so hours of use. On my second one, which seems to be holding up much better. Great for quick, not quite perfect cuts/sanding/etc. Definitely not suited for extended jobs.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    Just FYI - if any of you guys are looking for tool "sets", check out Home Depot right now. Some pretty nice "Buy a Set, get some free stuff" offers.

Holiday Combo Kit Offers

I'm kind of locked into Rigid right now. 3 weeks ago I bought a combo 1/2" hammer drill, 1/4" driver set, 2 batteries for $199. Now the special is buy that kit and get a free tool or free battery. Stopped by HD the other day and the manager told me I could just bring in my receipt and get the free tool.

The offer includes Dewalt, Ryobi, Rigid and other brands.
    North585 likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast