Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Mailbox grate.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks

Mailbox grate.

Just a simple project and a simple less than a minute YouBoob video I finished off.

Mailbox Grate - YouTube
    Gizmo2, Bubber, Levi and 8 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks
    How is your mail getting wet inside the mailbox??
    mjncad and Levi like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Several weeks ago it rained 10”. I remember getting the mail and it being completely dry. I guess all mailboxes are not created equally waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Same here - never wet mail. And my mailbox takes a beating as it is along a state paved road - the plow trucks are pretty wound up when they go by.
    bhill and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Same here - never wet mail. And my mailbox takes a beating as it is along a state paved road - the plow trucks are pretty wound up when they go by.
    Same here. Ive got an old Rubbermaid box thats been put back together too many times, but unless the door is left open, it stays dry inside.
    Those plow trucks do their best, it seems sometimes, to find a way in the Winter to either destroy it or pack it with snow, but its still plugging along!
    Levi likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    I have not had problems with wet mail either. But if you are, that looks like a nice solution using parts on hand. Why buy a new mailbox if you don't have to?
    mjncad and OxPath like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Just a simple project and a simple less than a minute YouBoob video I finished off.

Mailbox Grate - YouTube
    Good idea, someone else must have a mailbox like mine. The heavy steel one I put up years ago to thwart the mailbox-baseball players had one drawback, the door is so heavy it's just flat and does not seal well. To make things worse, the box faces north, which is the wind direction for most of the bad weather. But the mail doesn't get nearly as wet as when the boxes were torn up and laying on the ground.

But anymore we get very little non-junk mail anyway and one of us is usually here to pick it up before it stays in there very long. And the would-be sluggers leave it alone.
    mjncad and OxPath like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    Our mailbox faces north, and the wind drives water inside since it's just a sheet metal Home Cheapot special. The raised ribs on the bottom aren't raised enough to do any good at circulating air beneath the mail.

Also, our mail service is so spotty that we never know when the mail carrier will show up; so it's not uncommon for mail to sit in the box a couple of days since I'm not going out to check a second time unless I know for certain the carrier has delivered that day.
    OxPath, spferdil and Oscar Leroy like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Our mailbox faces north, and the wind drives water inside since it's just a sheet metal Home Cheapot special. The raised ribs on the bottom aren't raised enough to do any good at circulating air beneath the mail.

Also, our mail service is so spotty that we never know when the mail carrier will show up; so it's not uncommon for mail to sit in the box a couple of days since I'm not going out to check a second time unless I know for certain the carrier has delivered that day.
    Maybe one of these would help - a mailbox alert flag. When you close the mailbox you set the flag down. When the box is opened by the mail carrier it pops up and tells you that it has been opened. I would have one but I can’t see our mailbox from the house - have to walk half way to it before I can see it. I’m already dressed to be outside by then so I just finish the hike.

Amazon.com: Mail Time! Yellow Mailbox Alert Signal Flag for Long Driveways: Home Improvement

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FB9241C-F042-4304-9C1D-33BF55ACAE49.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	656872
    mjncad, Kennyd, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

mjncad (11-16-2018)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Thanks
    Pony express only delivers to the post office miles away. No mail delivery out here in the wilds so no problem. I do have a mailbox to install someday if civilization shows up.
    mjncad and Oscar Leroy like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast