Making a rotary phase converter?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Making a rotary phase converter?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-17-2019 @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks

I have several 3HP 3 phase motors I have collected over the years. Can I just drive one of them with a single phase 220 volt controller? Then use the generated 3 phase current to run any three phase equipment I want to?

I remember a local guy had one he had made. If I remember right he had a blue controller similar to https://www.valinonline.com/products/esv222n02yxb . Could even be the exact one.

I am thinking to just wall mount this unit and run some wiring and plugs through the shop to anything that is 3 phase.

So tell how crazy I am. LOL

I'm basically trying to validate my path.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lukebarber View Post
    I have several 3HP 3 phase motors I have collected over the years. Can I just drive one of them with a single phase 220 volt controller? Then use the generated 3 phase current to run any three phase equipment I want to?

I remember a local guy had one he had made. If I remember right he had a blue controller similar to https://www.valinonline.com/products/esv222n02yxb . Could even be the exact one.

I am thinking to just wall mount this unit and run some wiring and plugs through the shop to anything that is 3 phase.

The link is a VFD. That is a great way to run small 3 phase motors on single phase. I’m confused by this statement: “Then use the generated 3 phase current to run any three phase equipment I want to?”. Could you clarify?
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-17-2019 @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    Going to run a lathe and someday, hopefully, a mill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lukebarber View Post

You can and it will be a rotary phase converter. You would need to add capacitors and a contactor to start it and I think to keep the voltages regular. A three phase motor will run on 2 phase but it won’t start. I have heard you can hook it to 2 phase and pull start it and then use it as a converter but I have never tried that and don’t know if it is true. I am sure you can search the Internet and find instructions in how to do it.

I have a 5hp and a 20hp from here.Rotary, Static Electrical Supply - North America Phase Converter Company Yeah I know that’s cheating but it works great.
    arlen and JD4044M like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:02 PM
    Thanks
    I think the OP might be talking about 2 things...a rotary phase converter and a VFD. Are you thinking that you need both? Or are you wondering which one would be best? I prefer VFDs for things in the 3hp or less range. They produce a better sine wave and are more efficient, and you get the variable speed functionality.
    Last edited by arlen; 01-17-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    JD4044M likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts
    You don’t actually have 2 phases unless you have a very rare and old electrical installation in some cities. I’ve only seen it once and the system was very weird and had some peculiarities that I haven’t quite wrapped my head around. They require a special transformer and I would assume a large capacitor bank to get three phase equipment to work.

Anyway, you can get a 3 phase motor to run on single phase and then use the unused 3rd leg of the motor to power downstream 3 phase motors. It’s very crude and inefficient at best. Due to the sine waves not being 120 apart, the timing of the motor is off. This creates a lot of imbalance and heat. Because if this, you want a very robust motor to use for your rotary converter. If you want to use a 5 hp motor in your lathe, you need at least a 7.5, preferably a 10hp motor. The current will be less and the bigger motor will handle the heat generated by the phase shift and inefficiencies of this method.

Basically put, you wire in leg A to T1 of your motor, leg B to T2, and then T1, T2, & T3 now become your “hot leads” for anything downstream. As mentioned, it won’t self start. I’ve seen an old brake rotor used as a flywheel and was handy to “kickstart” the motor. Lots of groaning and a slow start will result. Gobs of current will be used as this happens. So you’ll need a larger breaker than normal and larger wire to boot. Go at least 2 sizes larger.

The better method is getting a rotary converter panel that will provide starting capacitors and a running capacitor. It will have a start/stop buttons on the front and make wiring/installation easier and more engineered. It will also start the motor quicker with much less current draw and provide a lot better 3 phase output. It’s not perfect, but light years ahead of the crude setup I described previously.

The best method is a VFD or a soft start capable of single phase to 3 phase operation.

You’ll be much much further ahead to use a VFD. So much more efficient, quieter, and no idling motor laying around in the shop. Yes, more bucks up front, but well worth it. Plus you’ll have the ability to change the speed of your motor.
    Kennyd, PaDave, pappa and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    You don’t actually have 2 phases unless you have a very rare and old electrical installation in some cities.
    Thank you sir. Not sure what I was typing. Meant single phase 220v. Thought 2 hots, typed 2 phase. I am too proud to go back and edit it. You know the French yogurt and all.
    dieselshadow and pappa like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts

Its a common mistake, but worth correcting in a conversation like this one. Not trying to be the “Correction Police.”
    Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 08:28 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Variable Frequency Drive that powers a Delta Radial Arm Saw with a 3 phase motor. It has soft start and I believe braking plus speed control. It works beautifully and doesn't need the 3 phase motor controller. It's just wired direct to the switch on the saw. Cost was less than 200 bucks and is good for 3 hp or below.

Ron
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    VFD's for anything under a 3hp motor is the way to go, they are simple, cost effective, and offer variable speed and reversing. I have three in my shop, on the lathe, mill and belt grinder.
    arlen, PaDave, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast