• 3 Post By JD4044M
  • 2 Post By jdforever

Thread: Fan motor for dehumidifier

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks

Fan motor for dehumidifier

I need to replace the fan motor on an old dehumidifier. I have a multispeed motor that I salvaged from another dehumidifier that I would like to use. The old dehumidifier is a single speed, so my problem is figuring out how to wire the replacement motor to run on high speed.

By looking at the attached picture, can anyone instruct me on which wires to use for the hot and neutral.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190302_210727.jpg  
    JD4044M likes this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    By looking at the attached picture, can anyone instruct me on which wires to use for the hot and neutral.
    Hot to Black. Neutral to White. That's "assuming" H M L represents the 3 speeds. Hi Med Low.
    2032R classic, H130 Loader, 46 Backhoe, 54" Snowblower,
    214 (1978), 46 mower with powerflow bagger, 31 tiller, 37A snow thrower
    some other stuff

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    Ditto
    jdforever likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    I need to replace the fan motor on an old dehumidifier. I have a multispeed motor that I salvaged from another dehumidifier that I would like to use. The old dehumidifier is a single speed, so my problem is figuring out how to wire the replacement motor to run on high speed.

Be sure to add in the Motors Capacitor to those 2 colored wires(RD Red & BN Brown) on the motor. Just use the "WH" Common(White/Neutral) and the High Speed wire(Black/Hot wire) to hook to the 120 Volts

Cap off the other 2 wires Low & Med wires.

Note I think your missing the Capacitor to hook the Red and Brown Wire too. It may be still attached to the other Dehumidifier you got the motor out of. It would have been connected to the Red and Brown wire and hoping it is not part of a circuit board? You could always buy one it is a 5 uf Capacitor with a 250 volt rating. Could be a little blue or silver tubular shaped can the 2 wires hooked to at one end. It needs one to spin right on a Capacitor start motor.

The Green Wire is the Ground Wire.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 03-03-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    jdforever and Roger47 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    Be sure to add in the Motors Capacitor to those 2 colored wires(RD Red & BN Brown) on the motor. Just use the "WH" Common(White/Neutral) and the High Speed wire(Black/Hot wire) to hook to the 120 Volts

Cap off the other 2 wires Low & Med wires.

Note I think your missing the Capacitor to hook the Red and Brown Wire too. It may be still attached to the other Dehumidifier you got the motor out of. It would have been connected to the Red and Brown wire and hoping it is not part of a circuit board? You could always buy one it is a 5 uf Capacitor with a 250 volt rating. Could be a little blue or silver tubular shaped can the 2 wires hooked to at one end. It needs one to spin right on a Capacitor start motor.

The Green Wire is the Ground Wire.
    JD4044M,

Attached is a better picture of the motor. Yes I am missing the capacitor. I disconnected all the wiring, keeping only the motor as you see it. I will pm you shortly with additional information.

Thanks, Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190303_200604.jpg  
    Greg

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Here is one pretty cheap but there are others.https://www.supplyhouse.com/Titan-Pr...saAqziEALw_wcB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cap 5uf.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	674750

Here are a bunch of different types but the 5ufs will work even if they look different. Square, plastic, metal spade lugs wires. Does not matter what 2 wire connection is used on them going to the red and brown wires to work.https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...motor&_sacat=0

Here is another type of one you could use;Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	674752

Can a fan run without capacitor?
    In Ceiling Fans We use Capacitor start capacitor Run Induction motor. Without external force and without capacitor it will not run. ... Single phase induction motor is not self started due to the absence of starting torque. For resulting torque in fan motor and for rotation of fan, we have to use a capacitor.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 03-03-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    jdforever, Marlin and Roger47 like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JD4044M For This Useful Post:

jdforever (03-03-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Situation resolved.

A big "Thanks" to JD4044M for helping me to correctly wire this motor and explaining to me what a capacitor is and why it's needed.
    Marlin and JD4044M like this.
    Greg

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements