Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Re-plumbing the house - Tankless water heater, pex, cpvc, polybutylene

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Re-plumbing the house - Tankless water heater, pex, cpvc, polybutylene

Over the last couple of years we have worked on sealing the house better (new siding with house wrap, new windows / doors, caulk, insulation etc), replaced the 2 HVAC systems with a single variable capacity zoned system, sealed the crawl space and replaced the garage doors with insulated doors. Now on to the plumbing.....

Our split level home was built in two phases, the two story (living quarters above garage) and then the main floor (over crawlspace). There is a mixture of CPVC, PVC and polybutylene. The PVC is holding up well, the poly has a couple of seeping joints and the CPVC is getting brittle. On the main level the genius builder put the water lines in the attic. We currently have two small tankless water heaters located within the living space and vented through the ceiling / attic / roof. Each water heater is only good for running one appliance at a time, they both have standing pilot lights and have no efficiency rating.

I am starting the project with a new water heater, a Rinnai RUR199iP. It is Energy Star qualified with an energy factor of .96. It should save us on propane, not enough to offset the cost but that is not the only reason we went with a new heater. The current heaters require a minimum flow of .5 gpm to activate which makes it hard to get hot water out of a faucet at a low rate. The new heater will activate at .25 gpm. Also, the new heater will direct vent, it vents right out the back wall vs having a vertical vent through the ceiling / roof. This will further our ability to seal up the house.

I am using PEX throughout the house, replacing all the old various pipes. I can't decide whether to have a manifold with all home runs or to run a loop through the house. The water heater has a feature that can be enabled that circulates hot water so you have near on demand hot water. I would imagine this would reduce its energy efficiency though. I need to read up on this.

Anyway, here is the new water heater installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190401_193642.jpg  
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I can't decide whether to have a manifold with all home runs or to run a loop through the house. The water heater has a feature that can be enabled that circulates hot water so you have near on demand hot water. I would imagine this would reduce its energy efficiency though. I need to read up on this.
    One of the main advantages of tankless units is that you don't have to heat water until you need it. Continuously circulating hot water through your pipes will definiely affect energy use, and possibly the shorten water heater's lifespan as well. A small hot water storage tank in the right location(s) may balance efficiency and performance. Take a look at this article (PDF file).

http://www.chandlerdesignbuild.com/f...hbDecJan08.pdf

I'm not a plumber, but I've been looking into this issue for quite a while due to the length of our hot water plumbing runs.
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    i ran a pex hot and cold water oversize mains in my case in a attic area with valves at each appliance drop......oversized the pex due to if you use the brass fittings they restrict flow at each joint to one pipe size smaller

also ran a my hot main as a circulating hot water loop....using a main single tank water heater (propane) i figure it costs me about 5-7 $ a month in propane if i turn on the water circulating loop pump (on a timer) i loop out about 80'
    mjncad, Gizmo2 and goat704! like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    One of the main advantages of tankless units is that you don't have to heat water until you need it. Continuously circulating hot water through your pipes will definiely affect energy use, and possibly the shorten water heater's lifespan as well. A small hot water storage tank in the right location(s) may balance efficiency and performance. Take a look at this article (PDF file).

http://www.chandlerdesignbuild.com/f...hbDecJan08.pdf

I'm not a plumber, but I've been looking into this issue for quite a while due to the length of our hot water plumbing runs.
    Maybe since we have owned tankless heaters for the last 20 years we are accustomed to how they work but we dont have issues with the cold water between showers. Also , we know the limitations of our tankless heaters being small so we dont over tax them and drop the pressure.

That article is 12 years old, I wonder if that installer is doing things differently today with the advancements made in the tankless heater systems. There is no way I would add a tank to a tankless system, I would just install a tank and stay away from tankless before doing that.

Our new heater will deliver near 12 gpm, more than enough for multiple appliances. I am also plumbing it in such a fashion that should we desire a second tankless to the farthest run, a small bathroom, we could just install a small tankless in the crawl space.
    Levi and goat704! like this.
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    i ran a pex hot and cold water oversize mains in my case in a attic area with valves at each appliance drop......oversized the pex due to if you use the brass fittings they restrict flow at each joint to one pipe size smaller

also ran a my hot main as a circulating hot water loop....using a main single tank water heater (propane) i figure it costs me about 5-7 $ a month in propane if i turn on the water circulating loop pump (on a timer) i loop out about 80'
    I'll have to look closer at that. I was doing the mains in 3/4" but may have to go to 1". I just cut into 100 foot rolls of 3/4, yuck
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    I had all the copper plumbing in my house replaced with PEX. I wanted the manifold set up with the pretty red and blue lines. The plumber talked me out of it. He said he would be glad to do it and take my money, but in his opinion it was a waste of $$. So one big loop is what I have.
    I don't circulate the hot water, but it does get to each faucet rather quickly.
    goat704! likes this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    I really like the manifold setups. They work great and the even the water pressure in the entire house. As a retrofit it might not be the easiest thing to do but I really like how it works in my home.

This is a shot of the plumbing instal I did for my in-laws new house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180407_140721_1554209892750.jpg  
    Last edited by CJadamec; 04-02-2019 at 08:09 AM.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    I see no reason no to manifold. It reduces the volume of cold water between the heater and the faucet of choice. Meaning it gets there faster.
    goat704! likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    Phone is fighting me trying to upload a second photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180624_175457_1554210602406.jpg  
    johncanfield likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    I have all of my water going through "manifolds", and I put that in quotes because I don't have true manifolds in place. I split my hot water off in to 3 branches for different zones of the house, that way I can kill just a section for repairs/upgrades. The cold splits from my pressure tank in to 2 branches; raw water and filtered. Raw water goes to my hose bibs, filtered water heads to the softener and filter, that way I'm not wasting salt on outdoor uses. Coming out of the filter, I go to 4 branches, 3 mirror the hot water branches and 1 supplies the hot water heater.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast