Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree438Likes

Thread: New Garage Build

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeagerHair View Post
    Your ground hog is off further than Phil was. Hopefully the weather gets back on track so your weather can. The spouse was still in WI last year when they had there April storm. In the end they had dead Robbins everywhere.
    Yeah it was April 15th when we got dumped on last year. The amount of snow was about the same but it was warmer this year so most of it melted. Not sure it was a good thing. The big problem last year with that is the snow stuck around for a while and it really messed with construction projects. Even with this, it is really soft out there so not sure how much it needs to dry up before they can dig.
    Levi, BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It was a busy day today. I got the call lastnight that we were digging today.

Contractor showed up a little after 8:30 and we got started. It was around 9 when the excavator operator got there and he started by pulling the stumps.

Once that was done he asked what I wanted to do with the dirt. I explained that the top soil and sod can just get piled up, I will be by and move it to the compost pile or at least a little closer. He stripped off the top soil and we had the first strike which I expected. He hit the conduit that had the internet, some abandoned coax cable from when we had DirecTV and the water line to the shop. I knew these were not very deep so no shock. He then started digging the footings.

At some point he scraped some of the top soil that used to be under the deck away and I hadn't realized it at the point but he must have hit an unknown power line. I discovered later on that we lost power to half the outlets in the basement where my office is. This took out power to the surveillance camera that I was using for one of the time lapse videos, as well as the network switches and Synology Disk Station that was recording the video. So I only have footage of the first few minutes of digging. I will have to go back and try and figure out what is going on with those outlets.

They are digging down 52" for the footings.

Once the excavator operator was done, he asked if there was anything else I wanted dug up. Any stumps or anything. We had been chatting all day. I said I had a few stumps but hadn't done locates for this dig as no utilities were anywhere near where we were digging. That isn't the case with the location of these other stumps. I mentioned that they were already flush cut so no need. Then I remembered a rock I had been noticing. Last year we had a bobcat with pallet forks and tried to pop it out but couldn't budge it. We could only see about 6" of it so I mentioned that there was this rock that we could try and pop out if he was up for it. So we went down there. He got it out but it was quite a bit bigger than I thought. We have a nice landscape boulder now...

As far as digging the only surprise was whatever cut power to the basement. Still not sure what is going on with that. As expected we cut power, water and internet to the pole barn, small garage (that powers the septic lift pump). There were some other circuits that were cut between the house and pole barn which I knew would go. We were able to avoid the gas line.

So over all a good day. I really didn't do much but I am beat.

They will be back tomorrow with the inspector probably in the morning at some point. Then the cement truck should be here at 2pm.

The forecast is calling for rain on and off all day Wednesday and into Thursday. But then it looks nice through the weekend. Probably start laying block early next week.

I spend quite a bit of time with the X585 moving the top soil.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 6 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Lookin good. At least the excavator could handle the rock. I had a neighbor in WA do an addition and they hit a rock. It was a granite erratic 1/2 the size of the house with just a little bit above ground. They brought a big rock saw in and cut it at the level of the living room Floo. They Polished it up and it became part of the house. It was kind of cool.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 5 others like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeagerHair View Post
    Lookin good. At least the excavator could handle the rock. I had a neighbor in WA do an addition and they hit a rock. It was a granite erratic 1/2 the size of the house with just a little bit above ground. They brought a big rock saw in and cut it at the level of the living room Floo. They Polished it up and it became part of the house. It was kind of cool.
    Yeah, it was great it could handle it but it wasn't actually on the build site. When he was done with his work he kept asking if I had any other stumps or anything to tear out. The only thing I could think of is this rock but I didn't know how big it was. So it was more him having fun and I got a cool rock out of the deal. I tossed him a few Yuengling Lagers. He had made a comment that he didn't know anything about that brewery and he has a beer can collection. We can't get it in this part of the country.

JD X585, 54C deck,

7. Top | #15
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,872 Posts
    Very nice sennister.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #16

Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you severed one of the legs coming into your house.
    Take cover off your panel and check voltage on each buss bar. (if you are comfortable and capable)
    Kennyd, Levi, Jim Timber and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Levi likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #18
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Maphesto View Post
    Sounds like you severed one of the legs coming into your house.
    Take cover off your panel and check voltage on each buss bar. (if you are comfortable and capable)
    No, not one of the legs. As far as service we have above ground service on the side of the house not the back where we were digging. The two breakers that tripped are two single 110v breakers next to each other (9 & 11) so they would be on separate legs.
    JD4044M likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

11. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Made some good progress today. I will apologize for the photos. Some are rotated right on my computer but when I uploaded them they must have been routed through Australia on me. I tried to edit them but that just lets me change the name. Odd

I left work at noon today to see the progress. The cement truck was scheduled for 2pm but I was home around 1 and they already poured it and were breaking down the forms.

They then snapped chalk lines on the footings and laid the corner blocks double checking that everything was square.

They then worked pretty quick as setting up the foundation on what will be the back wall.

The basement window will be removed and filled in with block. Also down on the inside of the wall near the footings I will punch a hole through to the basement so I can bring in water to the garage. We will insulate the inside of the block wall so we should be good from worrying about the line freezing. It will be at least 48" down and be pretty well protected from the frost. Where it gets closer to the ground level, it will be under the heated slab .

Gizmo2, OxPath, keane and 6 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well the rain shut us down yesterday but they are back to laying block again. They have been at it all morning. I am thinking they will finish it up today or tomorrow at the latest.
    Gizmo2, keane, Jim Timber and 3 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast