New Garage Build - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: New Garage Build

1. Top | #71
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    We have 60 squares of shingles going up today. Ran into a couple issues which will push us to tomorrow but they are working on it.

First issue was as they were ripping off the shingles, they discovered a few soft spots, also they said the decking was only 3/8 so not code anyhow. They started making runs to the lumber yard and picked up new decking for the house and the detached garage that is also getting a roof. They said they will submit it as a suplimentary claim to insurance. He said that USAA is good about covering this so we should be fine.

Then when the truck showed up to deliver the shingles, they didn't have a boom truck. It was a semi with one of those forklifts on the back. So they dropped all the shingles on the ground and couldn't put them up on the roof. They are going to have to carry 60 squares up by hand. Glad it isn't my back.

They were saying because they had to hand carry the bundles it will carry over to tomorrow.

I will post some photos later but they were not happy about me snapping a couple photos...
    Gizmo2 and Toughsox like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #72
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thought I would update things again.

Since this is a John Deere site you can just make out my X585 in the garage. I was in there leveling things off a bit.

Back side of the garage. There will be a patio poured here and the large opening will have a patio door with a small deck leading down to the cement pad.

This is inside what is remaining of the old porch. Where I am standing will be the laundry room. Where I am facing will on the other side will be the mud room.

We have been in a holding pattern lately. The weather has been good which is bad for us because we need to get the cement work done inside the garage next. That means get the cement guy here to get the ground in the garage to grade. Then they can get the insulation down floor drains and in floor heat and get him back to pour. He will come back later and do the apron, driveway and patio. He said it was too much work to try and do it all in one shot.

The good news is the cement guy should be here today or tomorrow to get us to grade. What sucks is I am out of town much of next week as my son is at Boy Scout Camp and they want several of us 1st year Dads to be there so there are familiar faces. I already committed to Tuesday-Thursday. So, I will be at camp in the middle of WI with odds are no cell coverage at a stage where it is a little critical. However I don't want to tell them to delay and push the project further out.
    Gizmo2, Levi, keane and 1 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

4. Top | #73
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hmm, haven't done an update for a while.

Unfortunately that is because not a lot has been done. Since the last report we have gotten the floor leveled. I spoke with the cement guy about the floor drains and he didn't like my idea of a trench drain in the back corner that would tie into the one in the middle. He said I can't get the slope I would need unless I ran it really shallow and that would just result in broken cement. We looked at options and he talked me into hand digging a new pipe to the house and tie into the septic system. That is the right way of doing it anyhow. It is going to be for a sink out there. So I grabbed my heavy duty shovel with a metal handle since I will be digging in dirt that has been undisturbed since at least the 60s. About my 3rd scoop I got zapped pretty hard. What the heck was that... I get a 2x4 and knock the shovel out of the ground and grab my probe for detecting hot wires. Nothing. If you remember back to post 12 when the excavator was scraping back some of the top soil in this area we lost power to half the basement. I still haven't had time to figure that out. Partly because all the stuff that was in the detached garage was moved to the basement/tuck under garage because we gutted that building. Well there has to be something in this area and I better figure it out now. Down to the basement. After moving a bunch of stuff around I found this sideways photo of an electrical box that is in the area of where I am digging. There is a conduit running into it but nothing out. I pull the cover and see this.

A black wire with a wire nut that has wire going through the foundation wall and white wire. The other wire nut fell out when I opened the cover. The best I can figure, this hole goes right out to where I was digging and there were wires at one time that went through the foundation to something. This would have been below our deck that we ripped off last summer. So, it couldn't have gone to a GFCI outlet. It would have been underground. However only about 2" down. The wires couldn't have been direct burial wires either. So, at some point, maybe when the porch was installed in the 90s and they built the deck they cut these wires off at the outside of the foundation and never disconnected them in the house. They have been hot out there all this time. Well that has been corrected. I went back to digging my drain line.

Hole through foundation.

Drain line.

Then I was off to Boy Scout Summer Camp with my son.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #74
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I got back from summer camp and they had installed the insulation board, the trench drain and the PEX for the in-floor heat.

Gizmo2 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

7. Top | #75
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Now we have been waiting for cement which has been frustrating. We had the 4th of July when the cement guy was out of town. Then the weeks he has been working, we have had good weather so he is busy knocking out driveways and patios because they can't be poured in the rain where my garage floor can be. We can't do anymore work without the cement so we have been at a stand still. They claim I will have cement by the end of the week but they said that last week as well.

As a side note I figured now was a good time to call the insurance company and make an adjustment to my homeowners insurance. We did a full review increasing the coverage on the house by $130K and the accessory buildings by another $100k as well as liability and personal items. He calculated the new bill. It went up about $8/mo. I think I can deal with that.
    Gizmo2 and SulleyBear like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

8. Top | #76
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,313 Posts
    I didn't notice this until today, Nice project, hope your cement guy shows up soon..................

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8