Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: New Garage Build

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks

New Garage Build

I thought I would start a thread on a garage build we are starting. It is somewhat related. Stall #3 will be where the motorcycles will live. It will be mainly for parking our daily drivers but have room to make it a little bit of a shop. Before the make it bigger comments start. We already have a 1500 sqft pole barn which is my shop and will likely remain so. Also another 1000sqft in cold (uninsulated and not heated) storage buildings plus a tuck under garage which will go away at some point. I can see some lighter work like wrenching on a bike in the winter work being done out here but it will shift to tractor parking in the winter for that 3rd stall and most of the motorcycles will go back to the pole barn for winter storage.

Because of existing windows on the house the porch will expand from 12x20 to 12x29. This will mean the west wall will come off, the roof and rafters will come off and the wall will shift over 9 ft to match the back wall on the garage. The garage will be 29x40 and will have a poured patio behind it to make up for the deck that we ripped off last fall. Ceiling will be at least 10' but it will depend as we are going to have two priorities. First match the roof line. Second, we can dig down to get more ceiling height but I don't want the apron sloped toward the garage. We are going with 3 single garage doors and there will be 2 access doors. The porch will eventually be converted to a laundry room and mud room making it so all "living" can take place on the main floor of the house. We are doing in floor heat for the garage with as separate zone to heat what will be the laundry/mud room. I am considering adding one of those Mitsubishi Heat Pumps to possibly do on demand heat and AC in the garage. We are also adding a small utility room in the garage. Power for the house is getting upgraded to 400A Service which is up from 150A. 150A will still go to the house and then 200A to the new garage. I expect to cut the power lines (don't know where they are for sure) to the pole barn and other buildings. So they will all get fed from the new garage. That will also allow me to use more power in the pole barn for welding and such. I only have 60A out there now.

Last fall I bought a Stihl MS 362 R C-M chain saw. I knew I had several trees that needed to come down on the property including 4 on the build site. My small 16" Homelite saw is getting well too old and this was going to be a big project so I went with a Pro saw. The R in the model number means it has a wrap handle. I guess it is a regional thing and isn't available everywhere. By stepping up to the pro line of Stihl got me a few extra features and didn't add a lot more cost over the Farm Boss that I was looking at originally. The one thing I am unsure about is the computer control. But from what I have run through it so far it runs like a champ. 3 pulls every and it fires everytime. I have taken down 7 trees this fall/winter and have another 16 Ash trees which will be deal from the Emerald Ash Borer probably in the next 5 years. I could treat them but it is too expensive because of their size. I would rather spend the thousands of dollars we would spend in treating them on new trees when they die in a few years.

Here is a shot after the three ash trees were taken down. I was cutting up the last one.

Last edited by sennister; 04-11-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 7 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    As winter was passing and days were getting warmer, we stated getting to a point where we had days above freezing and the snow was melting off exposed ground pretty quick. There was a forecast for 6-10" of snow coming but I decided to remove the snow we had in place (about 2') to clear the build site. Even though more snow was coming, moving 2' would be easier than 2.5-3'. I enabled the GPS on my watch and racked up 8.11 miles going back and forth moving snow with the front end loader on my X585.

It ended up being about 6" of additional snow which was quick to clean up.

After a couple weeks it looked like this. Let the thaw begin. The frost is down a couple feet at this point.

Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Last Friday they were out to remove the siding from the back of the house. The windows with wood trim were all ones replaced by Renewal by Andersen last Oct. We just had them seal up all the windows with cedar for now to keep things waterproof. Once the garage build is done, we are residing the entire house with LP Smartside and a new roof on the entire house as well as new gutters. The one window that wasn't replaced and all the windows in what is now the porch are either going away or are being replaced as part of the garage build.

On Saturday the excavator showed up.

The plan was to start digging the footings on Tuesday or at least it was. The forecast was calling for 6-10" of snow on Thursday. Granted the ground won't freeze up that quick but if there are no footings I can clear the snow pretty quick with the tractor. Opted to wait with footings until early next week because of the forecast.
    Last edited by sennister; 04-11-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is a Sketchup of the garage and mudroom.

Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I got home Monday to find that they dropped off more supplies and equipment.

Looks like about 6.5 pallets of block.

Another toy

The forecast is calling for up to a foot of snow through Friday. Too bad they didn't leave me the code to run the Bobcat. It would have move the snow quicker than I can with my Deere but that is fine.
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We just got several inches of snow and I will need to run out and clear the construction site before it switches to rain and everything melts. That is the only work happening over the next few days.

Here is a still from the security camera I installed the other day. The wall with the sliding glass door is the that will shift about 9' closer to the camera so that the porch width will match the 29' depth of the garage. Initially we were thinking of hand framing an extension to the trusses of the porch but then we would need to add a beam where the existing that wall is now to support the old trusses. Since we have to order trusses anyhow it is a wash in terms of cost to just order a few extra trusses for the porch vs paying for labor and materials to add the beam and hand frame. The new garage will extend out 40' from the existing porch toward the pole barn which is the building on the right. This will leave us about 15' of separation between the pole barn and new garage which is enough to get a well truck in. You can see our well poking up out of the snow right by the ":" in the timestamp.

Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This is a cross post from another forum so some of the wording may be off in terms of reference to days.

As we sit now we have about 6" of snow. I just got in from clearing most of the snow because it is switching to rain. It was a lot harder to clear the snow with the FEL being the ground isn't frozen and it was pretty wet from the snow that is melting on it. It was 70 here on Tuesday so it had been warming up. We will see how the melt goes over the weekend to see if we are on for footings early next week.
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Thanks
    Your ground hog is off further than Phil was. Hopefully the weather gets back on track so your weather can. The spouse was still in WI last year when they had there April storm. In the end they had dead Robbins everywhere.
    Levi, BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Thanks
    The code for the bobcat is the last 4 digits of their phone number or the last 4 of their street address or it doesn't have a code. At least that's what they usually are.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    The code for the bobcat is the last 4 digits of their phone number or the last 4 of their street address or it doesn't have a code. At least that's what they usually are.
    No you are trying to get me in trouble. I was debating using the excavator to dig a big hole and then push all the snow into it and fill it in.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast