• 6 Post By Titleist1
  • 1 Post By Titleist1

Thread: Replacement Guts for the Tork Mechanical TImer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks

Replacement Guts for the Tork Mechanical TImer

A recent timer replacement thread on another forum i frequent inspired me to finally fix the Tork mechanical timer that was supposed to be used with our stream pump. I've been meaning to get to it for at least 5 years now! Me being cheap, I hated to spend the $ for another mechanical timer and it wasn't too inconvenient to manually turn the pump on to circulate the water since I am outside often anyway. It just doesn't happen regularly so the water in the pondless reservoir can get a little stagnant.

I wanted a bit more functionality than the simple solid state relay chosen for the other application. I wanted a manual override switch on the unit so the pump could be turned on outside the programmed daily time slot. There are quite a few varieties of relays to choose from. The price was right and I didn't have to wait a month for it to ship from the far east so I picked this one:

DIN Rail Time Relay Switch AC 110V Digital LCD Power Programmable Timer - - Amazon.com

It got here yesterday, only took 3 days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190411_144941.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	680988

The instructions are in chinglish so you need to be fluent or get a translator or go with trial and error. Last night I wired it up on the bench with a meter to get an understanding of how to program it and make sure it worked like I thought it would. I went with the trial and error programming method and got the hang of it after about 1/2 hour.

I found my box of scrap DIN rail this morning and got to work on it.

Out with the old...

Name:	20190412_095849.jpg 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	680990

In with the new...

Name:	20190412_095411.jpg 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	680992

Controls the pump for this....

Name:	20190412_095316.jpg 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	680994

Unlike what usually happens, it even fit in the Tork box depth-wise so the door can close!

I think I have it programmed to come on at 2300 and go off at 2345 on M,W,F,Sa so the water in the pondless reservoir gets circulated periodically. I will check tonight to see if I got it right. The manual button can be turned on/off through the day if SWMBO wants the water feature effect while outside gardening. Or if I need the water hazard activated for a putting green event!
    Kennyd, Tomfive, Bubber and 3 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    After a week of running, it seems to work as advertised. I had messed up the programming a little bit but got that corrected. It helps to choose the same 'Day' schedule for both the ON and OFF times when programming it.

If the pump is turned on manually it will even return to its programmed on/off schedule the next time that program slot rolls around. Since it can have 16 different programs, I programmed an OFF at 10pm every day so just in case we forget to turn the thing off it won't run all night....(not that that ever happened )

I think I am done buying the mechanical timer's for anything and will use these instead as replacements are needed.
    Kennyd likes this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements