Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: 125 Amp overkill?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

125 Amp overkill?

I've started thinking about bringing power into my year old barn which has been all DIY. I was planning on a 100 Amp sub panel with a main breaker to disconnect from the line coming over from the house. Now I'm considering possibly going to a 125 amp panel because there really isn't that much cost difference between buying a 100 amp or a 125 amp main breaker panel.

The question is will it be overkill. I will have in the barn, three or four lighting circuits, four or five 120V outlets, a 230v/30 line for the air compressor & possibly another 230v line for a heater & one dedicated 20 amp line for a Lincoln Mig 140 welder. I don't think the air compressor will ever be on at the same time as the heater, but even if they were I think I'm still ok. But in any case, is going to a 125 way over my needs. I highly doubt I will ever have more in this barn then what I have stated. I'm not so sure if more is better in my case. Any opinions? Thanks.
    rydplrs and JD4044M like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks
    There really isn't any such thing as "overkill" when it comes to this sort of thing. The cost difference is just a few dollars and the extra 25 amp capacity is there if you ever need it. There is really no downside to this other than the possibility that you'd want a larger wire to feed the panel if you want to use it for it's full 125 amp capacity. But you can always install the 125 amp panel and feed it from a 100 amp breaker.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Maddog (04-20-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    Will the 125A box give you more circuits? That would be the only reason I would go bigger than 100A.

Code here is 6 circuits or less in a sub panel you do not need a main breaker, but I think 6 circuits is too few.
    Maddog, rtgt, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    More circuits is good and if your starting fresh and the heavier wire is good as well. I have a 100amp breaker feeding my shed and a 200amp panel in the shed with wire rated for 200. It keeps down the voltage drop and I don’t have to hear my wife complain about the welder or compressor dimming the lights.
    mjncad, Zebrafive, Maddog and 4 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    As I recall the code when I put my subpanels in a number of years ago; the subpanel could be 80% of the feeding panel's capacity (e.g. a 150A subpanel fed from a 200A main panel). 150A panels are available; but I've never seen one in the big box stores; so I went with 125A subpanels.

Go with as big a subpanel as you can as it will cost more in the future to redo it.

If I recall correctly, a subpanel didn't need a main breaker if it was next to or within a few feet of the feeding panel; but a subpanel that is remote and out of sight from the feeding panel requires a main breaker in the subpanel and an equivalent breaker in the feeding panel.

Panels are also called load-centers.

Hopefully, GTT's electricians will see this thread and tell me I'm right or full of it.
    Maddog, rtgt, Herminator and 3 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Yes the sub panel itself is similar in price. It's the wire that costs a lot when you have to go a size or two up in gauge to handle the extra current. Also it can increase cost a good bit if you have go up a size in conduit.

Cost for adding the extra amperage is mostly dependant on how long the wire run is.

If your wire is sized properly to limit voltage drop for the amperage of your feeder breaker you won't really notice the difference between 100 and 125.
    mjncad, Zebrafive, Maddog and 3 others like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Code here is 6 circuits or less in a sub panel you do not need a main breaker
    Personally, I wouldn't have a subpanel without a main, even if it was just 5" from the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Yes the sub panel itself is similar in price. It's the wire that costs a lot when you have to go a size or two up in gauge to handle the extra current. Also it can increase cost a good bit if you have go up a size in conduit.

Cost for adding the extra amperage is mostly dependant on how long the wire run is.
    Wire is cheap w.r.t. labor & time at install vs replacing it later. No need then to worry about:
    I don't think the air compressor will ever be on at the same time as the heater, but even if they were I think I'm still ok.
    mjncad, ChrisR, pappa and 4 others like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't have a subpanel without a main, even if it was just 5" from the primary.

Wire is cheap w.r.t. labor & time at install vs replacing it later. No need then to worry about:
    I agree!

When my Mom's detached garage was wired it only had three circuits, opener, lights, outlets. So the sub panel had no main breaker. A big difference, to her in panel costs, and it met code. It probably could have been run off three breakers from the main panel in her basement?
    mjncad, rtgt, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    OK. I want to use a 125 amp main breaker subpanel. From the house to the service entrance at my barn is about 75 feet.

This is all new work. I have a 2 inch underground conduit. I will probably run aluminum wire from the house panel to the barn. Originally I was going to use a 100 amp panel but now I'm strongly considering the 125 amp. setup. The question I now have is what size conductor do I use from the house over to the barn. I'm thinking that a #2 size will work for either 100 or 125 amp & at a distance of 75 feet away, my line voltage drop should be no more than 2%. I tried looking it up on a National electrical code chart, but frankly I'm not knowledgeable enough to under stand all the notes, etc. found on the charts I looked at.

I should ad that maybe I should not concern myself with this part of the job because I will be asking my electrician to bring the power over from the house to the barn. But I like to have an understanding as to what materials are involved. I will be doing all the work in the barn except for the final power hook up. I think for me that is the most dangerous part of the job & I want to leave that to a pro.
    mjncad and rtgt like this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    OK. I want to use a 125 amp main breaker subpanel. From the house to the service entrance at my barn is about 75 feet.

This is all new work. I have a 2 inch underground conduit. I will probably run aluminum wire from the house panel to the barn. Originally I was going to use a 100 amp panel but now I'm strongly considering the 125 amp. setup. The question I now have is what size conductor do I use from the house over to the barn. I'm thinking that a #2 size will work for either 100 or 125 amp & at a distance of 75 feet away, my line voltage drop should be no more than 2%. I tried looking it up on a National electrical code chart, but frankly I'm not knowledgeable enough to under stand all the notes, etc. found on the charts I looked at.

I should ad that maybe I should not concern myself with this part of the job because I will be asking my electrician to bring the power over from the house to the barn. But I like to have an understanding as to what materials are involved. I will be doing all the work in the barn except for the final power hook up. I think for me that is the most dangerous part of the job & I want to leave that to a pro.

You'd need 2/0 (aka "00") aluminum wire, not #2. 2 Gauge is only rated for 90 amps. 2/0 is rated for 130 amps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire-size-chart.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	682196
    mjncad, Maddog, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Maddog (04-21-2019)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast