Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: The chickens need a home

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks

The chickens need a home

The wife and I decided to jump feet first into rasing some backyard chickens this year. So naturally we got some cute little baby chic's about 5 weeks ago. Thinking I had plenty of time to get the coup built before they really needed to be evicted from their cozy basement temporary home.

I was wrong those chickens need to get out before I lose all my tools under the dust.

There is hope on the horizon, my shed kit got dropped off this morning and I was able to find enough hours without rain to get my concrete footings poured.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190422_103905.jpg   IMG_20190422_104101.jpg  
    Gizmo2, ChrisR, arlen and 17 others like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-18-2019 @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    The wife and I decided to jump feet first into rasing some backyard chickens this year. So naturally we got some cute little baby chic's about 5 weeks ago. Thinking I had plenty of time to get the coup built before they really needed to be evicted from their cozy basement temporary home.

I was wrong those chickens need to get out before I lose all my tools under the dust.

There is hope on the horizon, my shed kit got dropped off this morning and I was able to find enough hours without rain to get my concrete footings poured.
    BigJim55, tj1, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    Based on the footers, that's going to be a heck of a chicken coop!!

A buddy of mine used to keep chickens. To say that when he does something, it's usually a bit over the top is an understatement. When he was done with his chicken coop/pen, his wife referred to it as "The Chicken Hilton".
    BigJim55, tj1, Jeff B and 6 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,029 Posts
    tj1, Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Wow that looks like it has the potential to be something. I have hillbilly birds. I made a coop out of wood I had laying around the farm. They didn't seem to care. I eventually gave them an area in the corner of the barn. It made it easier to give them water.
    pappa, tj1, Herminator and 4 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Not to ruin the suprise but its really just a 6x8 shed. The outdoor run is going to be extensive. It's going to go behind the large rock and fill the flat area thats bare earth downhill of the rock. I too have problems with going above and beyond what is needed. I really don't like to build things twice or have to repair them once I'm done.

I went with footings because the area it's in has been filled and and excavated a number of times in the last five years. The top soil is anything but stable. There is also a decent slope,over 6 inches difference in height on the footings. Setting level footings with my laser level is a piece of cake. Also being in a hurricane zone the footings are a good ground anchor. With the amount of rock I have in the soil those screw in anchors are useless.

The shed is a matching style to the much bigger shed already there. It's post and beam construction with solid pine board and batten siding. Both buildings were made be the some company, so all the siding and hardware is going to match. The wife likes matching things.
    Bubber, MDrew, mark02tj and 4 others like this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Not to ruin the suprise but its really just a 6x8 shed. The outdoor run is going to be extensive. It's going to go behind the large rock and fill the flat area thats bare earth downhill of the rock. I too have problems with going above and beyond what is needed. I really don't like to build things twice or have to repair them once I'm done.

I went with footings because the area it's in has been filled and and excavated a number of times in the last five years. The top soil is anything but stable. There is also a decent slope,over 6 inches difference in height on the footings. Setting level footings with my laser level is a piece of cake. Also being in a hurricane zone the footings are a good ground anchor. With the amount of rock I have in the soil those screw in anchors are useless.

The shed is a matching style to the much bigger shed already there. It's post and beam construction with solid pine board and batten siding. Both buildings were made be the some company, so all the siding and hardware is going to match. The wife likes matching things.
    Watch the racoons and coyotes. Sly little buggers and that's why we don't have anymore chickens! They sell those coops with runs made out of chicken wire and the coons will pull the feet right off the poor chickens, then instead of eggs you get,, well,, chicken piccata.. Good luck with your project. Looks like one big pile of lumber though for a 6X8 chicken coop, maybe a chicken 40B project?
    Bubber, Herminator, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    None of this is a premade chicken anything. The coop is going to be a full on hurricane hardened 6x8 building that chickens happen to live in. The run will be all homemade and should be safe.

I looked at those premade coops and thought yo myself if I was a chicken I would not want to live there.
    Bubber, MDrew, tj1 and 4 others like this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

11. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    None of this is a premade chicken anything. The coop is going to be a full on hurricane hardened 6x8 building that chickens happen to live in. The run will be all homemade and should be safe.

I looked at those premade coops and thought to myself if I was a chicken I would not want to live there.
    Nor pop out an egg either! Gotta hurt... Those pre made coops are for city slickers that want to be make believe farmers! We have a neighbor that bought one of those and she told me about the feet being pulled off. Our chickens we had years ago were free range (they eat ticks and such) and they slept in the shed at night. the Coyotes get my wifes Ruger 22 mag for dinner.

I like the fact your coop with be hurricane hardened! Your chickens will too... Have fun.
    MDrew, JD4044M and CJadamec like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Finally got a couple small steps done and making forward progress. The weather here has been rain, with a chance of rain followed by more rain.

Started to break down the pallet of parts and set up the runners and floor joists.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190428_153222.jpg   IMG_20190428_153200.jpg  
    Tomfive, ChrisR, Bubber and 6 others like this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast