New Umbrella for the Deck - need recommendations

Thread: New Umbrella for the Deck - need recommendations

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks

New Umbrella for the Deck - need recommendations

Our deck umbrella needs replaced. Since we've lived here, we've had the kind that you mount in a base under the patio table and it sticks up through a hole in the table top. They have been OK, but if you need to move the table for whatever reason, it's a pain to get under the table, remove the umbrella, etc.

I've been thinking about one of the cantilevered / offset umbrellas - like this one at Menards. Do any of you have one of these types of umbrellas? Do you love it? Hate it?

One thing I don't like is the big heavy base. It takes up a lot of room and would be hard to move. I'd like to mount it along the edge of the deck. I downloaded the assembly instructions and found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umbrella_Mounting_Base.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	682890

"C" is what the actual umbrella assembly slides over top of. From a stress standpoint, does it matter if this thing is screwed into a solid piece of wood on the deck instead of the X-shaped frame made up of "A" and "B"? I called the customer service number in the instructions and was able to talk to an English speaking person. While she was nice enough, she had no clue if this would work. She said "I guess you can do that. I don't see why not." I did find an Australian company that offers a mounting base designed to be screwed into the deck frame. I also found a few YouTube videos where people rigged up their own.

I'm in the process of finishing redoing my deck boards, so if I'm going to go this route, I want to do it quickly so I can put some sort of mounting base into the frame members while some of the framing is still exposed.

So, I'm looking for any experience with these offset umbrellas and would also be open to any specific brand recommendations. I'm not opposed to spending a few extra bucks on a quality umbrella.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks
    Had one pretty much identical to the mount you show on the deck on our pool. You have to screw down those "X" base pieces (the "A" and "B" in your diagram). They won't keep an open umbrella upright if left free-standing.

Our's lasted several years (7 or 8) and worked well. I mounted it differently though. I mounted a piece of 2x6 PT to the bottom side of the handrail on the deck and another below that screwed to the deck itself. I drilled a hole in the upper piece and screwed a rubber roller I had laying around to the bottom piece. The pole for the umbrella slid through the upper hole and slid over the top of the rubber roller resting on the bottom board. (I'd take pics but I tore the pool and deck down last fall!) The rubber roller piece just kept the bottom of the pole from kicking out to the side. You could probably do the same thing using a dowel.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (04-24-2019)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements