Selecting a flooring contractor - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Selecting a flooring contractor

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,504 Posts
    My best friend owns about 125 rentals and also mobile home parks. He owns about half of the trailers in the mobile home parks he owns and rents the homes out. He gave up on the idea of selling or lease to own due to government regulations on the lending / finance portion of the deal and the reality that he ended up with 80% of the rent to own or financed homes back in his ownership eventually, for a number of reasons.

He uses the flooring which is shown in a couple of the pictures above in all of his rentals. Its very easy to install and very durable. In fact, when he orders new mobile homes he orders them without any carpet and installs the "floating hardwood" himself. He buys it at Lumber Liquidators and he buys a lot of it, pallets at a time.

The flooring is easy to install as his crew aren't "precision craftsman" and the general result of their installs is the floor looks good and it wears well. Now, when his tenants change, he doesn't have to deal with carpet cleaning and spots and damage. He has had a couple of pieces of the snap together flooring damaged when someone drags an appliance across it, or something similar, but normal use doesn't seem to negatively impact it at all.

By the way, the 60 minutes story in March of 2015 concerning Lumber Liquidators and their flooring products having dangerous levels of formaldehyde in the product largely turned out to be much ado about nothing. As is often the case, the company paid a "settlement" which was in the $35 million dollar range, plus fines and penalties to the government. It made a big splash in the news at the time and killed their stock price.

Since my friend has used so much of the flooring in a number of his homes, he hired a company to come in and test the formaldehyde levels in 50 of his homes which had the flooring installed. He had just gotten 6 new mobile homes in that same month and I suggested he not only test the 50 homes which had flooring installed which could have possibly had the "affected flooring" installed, but also, as an interesting "bench mark", the 6 new homes which didn't have ANY FLOORING installed (as that is how he has the new homes delivered and they install the Lumber Liquidators flooring themselves). We also added 10% of the total homes being tested by adding in older homes which didn't have any Lumber Liquidators products in them.

In Summary, the three groups of tested homes were;

1. 50 homes which had previously had Lumber Liquidators products installed in them. These homes were occupied at the time of testing.

2. 6 brand new homes which had just been delivered within the previous 30 days and had not yet had any flooring installed and had not yet been "lived in".

3. 6 existing homes, which were occupied by tenants and which had carpet and did not have any Lumber Liquidators products in them.

Here were the test results summarized.

Group 1 homes tested on average at roughly 30% of the maximum allowable limits. The homes with the Lumber Liquidators flooring which tested the highest were still well within 50% of the allowable limits.

Group 2 homes tested at or slightly exceeding the recommended levels of formaldehyde for safe occupancy. The new homes without any flooring were all at 88% to 103% of the suggested safe limit levels.

Group 3 homes tested very close to the group 2 homes.

He went ahead and installed the lumber liquidators flooring in the 6 new homes in Group 2 and had them tested again for their levels of formaldehyde. Putting the Lumber Liquidators flooring over the new homes sub floors, etc. caused the test kit numbers to be lower. The test kits were placed in the exact same locations in the 6 new homes, before the flooring was installed and after the flooring was installed.

In the end, the homes with the Lumber Liquidators hard wood flooring tested lower in formaldehyde than any of the homes which either had carpeting installed or that were newly constructed. I made spread sheet and graph of all the details at the time, which if I can find it, I will post. It's been a few years so I will have to look around for the data. But clearly, the Lumber Liquidators products he had been using certainly didn't seem to produce any levels of formaldehyde which were of concern. In fact, they tested much better than the homes which used carpeting or were full of new building materials.

Based upon the test results and findings in his homes, he chose not to join the class action lawsuit which was filed by those who had bought the product. We talked about this extensively and felt like the entire matter was unjustified based upon the actual findings in his 60 plus homes which were tested, which make up a pretty good test group. Morally, he felt the lawsuit was unjustified and unfair and he wanted no part of it and I agree..........
    mark02tj likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist1 View Post
    Good thread....I'll especially be watching for installation updates and pics if you DIY. The spousal unit has been indicating a new kitchen floor is on the horizon by silently leaving laminate samples on the counter. I hope I can put it right over the vinyl thats there but I am wondering how I will make that work without putting the new flooring under all the base cabinets?
    If the vinyl is in good shape you could go over the top. If you have wood trim at the bottom of the base units pry it off ever so carefully, number them and nail them back down in order when the laminate is done.

Sam's club has some nice stuff pretty cheap, if the colors meet her standards.
    ttazzman likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Good thread....I'll especially be watching for installation updates and pics if you DIY. The spousal unit has been indicating a new kitchen floor is on the horizon by silently leaving laminate samples on the counter. I hope I can put it right over the vinyl thats there but I am wondering how I will make that work without putting the new flooring under all the base cabinets?
    Same situation here - reading and learning as I will be attempting my first ever floor this coming winter.

Will also be going over what is there - no way I am attempting to remove the old (deleted out to avoid the code police...)

My biggest issue is I canít be on my knees. Should be interesting to figure out how this will be possible.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    If the vinyl is in good shape you could go over the top. If you have wood trim at the bottom of the base units pry it off ever so carefully, number them and nail them back down in order when the laminate is done.

Sam's club has some nice stuff pretty cheap, if the colors meet her standards.
    The vinyl is in good shape as far as being flat and no bubbles, it is just beat looking after being there for 25 years. I thought with an undercounter dishwasher I'd run into clearance issues replacing it if i didn't have the base cabinets sitting on the laminate?

I am not on the decorating committee and I don't get trapped into giving opinions on how something looks. I only care that she buys it in DE so there's no sales tax. I think she'll end up getting it at Air Base Carpet & Tile, that's usually the best prices around for flooring because they'll haggle and she is very good at that.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:06 PM
    Thanks
    The vinyl is in good shape as far as being flat and no bubbles, it is just beat looking after being there for 25 years. I thought with an undercounter dishwasher I'd run into clearance issues replacing it if i didn't have the base cabinets sitting on the laminate?

I am not on the decorating committee and I don't get trapped into giving opinions on how something looks. I only care that she buys it in DE so there's no sales tax. I think she'll end up getting it at Air Base Carpet & Tile, that's usually the best prices around for flooring because they'll haggle and she is very good at that.
    It depends on
    1) how much clearance you currently have with the dishwasher
    2) how thick your new flooring is
    3) if you plan on putting the new flooring under the dishwasher or not.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    I can also strongly recommend doing this job yourself, its very easy.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

9. Top | #17

Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    As others said call your local flooring will usually come measure for free also.
    If you tackle it yourself have a few sharp razor blades for the carpet. Best thing to do is rip done the carpet in 3-4í lengths. So much easier to throw out the window or go up/down the stairs.

I agree with the vinyl for wet area and pets. It is pretty simple to install flooring. Especially if itís more open. If you have a lot of angles and door way it may be best to let someone else do it if youíve never done it before. You really just need a rubber hammer and a beating block.
    Vinyl is not the best if you have a lot of holes and dips in your floor. Be mindful of that as you may need to repair those.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2