Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Garage Lighting

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks

Garage Lighting

I thought I would start a separate thread from my garage build. That is over here.

New Garage Build

Anyhow, we are getting ready to start the electrical and have some decisions. Mainly we are looking at lighting. I was originally thinking LED lights like I installed in my shop/polebarn. Overall I am happy with the light output but my biggest concern with an LED fixture is what to do long term when one fails. If it is just one light, no big deal swap it out with a new one. However if I have 10 or 15 of them, are they still available or what issues will I have. For instance the ones in the shop are all linked together. Are the replacements compatible?

This has me thinking that I might want to go a different route.

Right now I am leaning toward going with florescent fixtures, probably a double bulb T8. Then install the LED replacement bulbs. I haven't ever used these before. What are the thoughts on this? I still need to come up with a number of fixtures but I am thinking I will do two banks as I am a little concerned about the difference between general lighting for just going out to the vehicle and wanting more light for working on something out there. Because of this I am thinking half the lights on a 4 way switch to cover all points of entry and the other half on a 3 way to cover the door going into the house and one closer to where I would envision working on things on the other end of the garage.

The other thing is exterior lighting. We have three exterior doors with the project (2 access doors and a patio door) and three garage doors (2- 9x9 and 1- 10x9). The roofline is so there is a soffit directly over all these doors with the exception of one of the access doors. We do have a large Metal Halide yard light not far that will cover all access locations (other than the patio door) so actual light isn't needed that much. It is more to satisfy the code requirement than anything.

Since there are soffits there we are leaning toward a cleaner look and go with soffit lights. I am thinking something like a 4" gimbal mount can with an LED bulb. I know I need to find one that is IC rated but something like this might work.

4 LED Gimbal Recessed Lighting New Consturction Renovation

The one thing I would like to do with the soffit light is to illuminate the posts that divide the single garage doors. That is why I am looking at the gimbal style so the light can be directed back at the divider. Thinking this will illuminate it better when backing into a garage stall where you are using your mirrors. I guess the biggest concern is if these will provide enough useful light. The contractor mentioned they are more accent light than usable light. I explained we are going to have other light in the area with the dusk to dawn yard light.

Here is a shot of the garage where you can see all the openings other than the patio door which is around the back side which will be coming out of the mud room to the patio that will be poured behind the garage.

mjncad, JKR and JD4044M like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 2,786 Posts
    Dusk-to-Dawn, Motion sensor controlled...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0106_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	689586

Note: Lights in garage door openers give off quite a bit of light.
    rtgt, ctrider and JD4044M like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 AM
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if the appearance would be acceptable to you, but these are really bright and easy to install in a standard keyless fixture.

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...7834580445.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dusk-to-Dawn, Motion sensor controlled...

Name:	IMG_0106_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	689586

Note: Lights in garage door openers give off quite a bit of light.
    We may not have garage door opener lighting. We are going with Liftmaster 8500W jackshaft openers. These do come with a LED cloud light that you would install somewhere on the ceiling but unless they make me put them up (code) I probably won't. I will be looking at motion activation for one of the banks of lights.

With your lights are those LED or incandescent? I am thinking about spacing them on the dividers rather than in the middle like what you have. Though I suspect your position will illuminate the opening like I am looking for. Do the cans have a light sensor for the dusk/dawn or do you have a sensor somewhere else for that? Ultimately that might not matter much as I am looking at running Home Assistant/Google Home/ZWave stuff for home automation out there. So I can trigger Dusk/Dawn based on that but it will work off sunset/sunrise time which should be fine.

I can't find a picture of exactly what I am thinking but this is close.

http://weddingsarees.co/wp-content/u...chen-light.jpg
    mjncad, Gizmo2 and JD4044M like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MN3046 View Post
    I'm not sure if the appearance would be acceptable to you, but these are really bright and easy to install in a standard keyless fixture.

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...7834580445.htm
    Would something like that go in a regular bulb type fixture? I am not sure I will have any of those in the build.
    JD4044M likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Would something like that go in a regular bulb type fixture? I am not sure I will have any of those in the build.
    They do. Screw into a regular bulb socket.
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MN3046 View Post
    They do. Screw into a regular bulb socket.
    Ok.

For main fixtures I am thinking of something like this.

Maxlite LSS2XT8USE4803 75303 2 Lamp T8 LED Tube Ready 4 ft Linear Utility Strip Light Fixture Pre-Wired

Then load them up with T8 LED bulbs.

https://greenlightdepot.com/collecti...ant=3706824836

EDIT:

I guess my point on these is I have no experience with them. The one concern I have is that in the shop/pole barn there is a similar light to this. The difference is that they are fixtures rather than a bulb. I say similar because the fixture has a strip of LED lights and a frosted diffuser like what the bulbs have. What I noticed coming from Florescent tube lights is that they seem to be a little more directional. They cast light straight down meaning the further off to the side you get from them you have less light and more shadows. I suspect these will be the same. To counter this I am thinking about adding more lights. The drawback is too much light which is why I would like to do the 2 banks so I can use only 1/2 lighting when I just need to see to navigate around vehicles and such but yet also be able to crank up the light if I am working out there. While I will still have the shop/pole barn, I envision working out here on winter projects a little more and may heat the pole barn less. Though if a bigger job (need more space) or messy I would be out in the pole barn. For instance in the winter I could see moving the motorcycle lift to the 3rd bay and doing more extensive rebuild projects during non riding months.
    Last edited by sennister; 06-05-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    mjncad and JD4044M like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Lithonia strip from Menards $79

I've installed a bunch of these fixtures both at home and at work and haven't had any problems with them. They are very low profile and mount very solid, you're not going to knock a bulb out. You can get volume pricing or catch them on sale usually about 10 bucks less.

In my 32x36 garage at home I have 8' T8 fixtures with four 4' bulbs and I installed LED bulbs. The T8 don't seem quite as bright and the cost is not much cheaper to go this route. I've had several ballast failures in the T8 and 6 fixtures hold about $150 worth of bulbs. I used drop in LED bulbs, you could go with line voltage bulbs that have their own on board electronics to do away with the ballasts, but you'd have to rewire each fixture and those bulbs are more expensive. My favorite part of the LED strips is how small and compact they are.

After recommending the LED strips to a friend for his new garage, he likes them a lot and purchased more for another shed. He only installed four in his 28x32, with white walls it's very bright.

You can also get these same fixtures in 2' and 4' fixtures, with single or double row LED's
    Last edited by iamrfixit; 06-05-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    mjncad and sennister like this.
    2008 John Deere 2305, 200CX loader, 60" mower deck, 647 Tiller
    2005 John Deere X495, 62C mower deck and 54" snow blade
    1977 John Deere 300 garden tractor with 48" deck, 31 tiller and home built hydraulic blade

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    I did my farm pole barn in flourecent, twin 4' tubes, about 5 years before LEDs came down in price. I have too much invested in fixtures and bulbs to change now I paid more per fixture than you can buy a 4' LED for now

At the house pole barn (wired about 20+ years ago) I went with single bulb fixtures and used 65W flood light bulbs. Over the work benches I had two single 500W halogen lights. I have recently swapped the flood lights to LEDs flood light bulbs. The first ones I bought were "warm" and the light was too yellow. I switched to "daylight" for whiter light.
    I took down the two 500W halogen lights and put up four 4' LED lights to replace them. Over a different bench I had a twin 150W halogen light, I replaced it with a 4' LED light.
    mjncad and sennister like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 2,786 Posts
    sennister:
    "With your lights are those LED or incandescent?" → Incandescent (small flood)
    "Do the cans have a light sensor for the dusk/dawn or do you have a sensor somewhere else for that?" ↓↓↓

Name:	Sensor.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	380.9 KB 
ID:	689594
    sennister likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast