• 1 Post By keane
  • 3 Post By ChrisR

Thread: John Deere Gator Power Wheels Solar Panel

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks

John Deere Gator Power Wheels Solar Panel

We have a John Deere Gator power wheels that my son loves riding around the yard, but the battery just doesn’t last very long and my son has a problem leaving it where it dies, not completely his fault, he’s 3. Solar panels and electronics are not my strong suit and I would like to mount a panel on the hood or in the bed and when he leaves it the next day it’s ready to go again. It has a 12v 12ah battery. How much of a solar panel would I need and do I need a solar panel controller?
    John Deere 2032R
    60D MMM
    220R Loader
    Artillian 42” Forks
    King Kutter Professional 5 ft Tiller
    King Kutter Subsoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Thanks
    I went to the Amazon search engine and typed in "solar battery charger". You will get an amazing array of choices. The higher the wattage, the faster the charge (and the more you'll pay). But higher wattage also equates to a larger panel. There seem to be many with built-in controllers. You'll need to figure out how much space you have for mounting, then decide if that much wattage will get the job done. Check the wattage on the charger that came with the toy. How long does it take to fully charge at that wattage? Generally, a charger with half the wattage will take twice as long to charge the battery. Compare the included charger with the wattage on the biggest solar panel you can mount. Now you'll know how long it will take to charge with the solar panel. Are there that many hours of sun in a day? You're ready to go.

Once you get this installed, the gator will consistently run out of juice when it's under a big shade tree.
    Herminator likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Our Grand kids had 2 Battery powered tractors & a battery powered gator. The batteries were always running down. OEM replacements were expensive. I ended up replacing the original batteries with 12ah wheelchair scooter batteries that I got off Ebay. The batteries cost about $25 each and would last for days. The only downside to the replacement batteries is that you have to change the wiring to connect the new battery. It was simple to do. I cut off the OEM battery connector & added longer wires with a spade connector on it. I used a Schumacher battery charger/tender to charge them.
    mark02tj, Cutty72 and Toughsox like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements