Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Aluminum Siding

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

Aluminum Siding

The house we recently bought has aluminum Siding. We installed new windows but changed the size. Can we patch in the gaps with pieces of old siding? I don't want to reside the whole house. We plan to repaint the siding when work is complete and I believe that could hide the odd seams around the windows. The contractor thinks it will be time consuming to the point where he could have new vinyl up. I don't particularly like the idea of vinyl when we have nice aluminum through the other 90% of the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190624_202645668_1561424113873.jpg  
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and Toughsox like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    As long as you can find the width, I cant see why not. Most of the siding warehouses around here don't carry aluminum on hand but they will gladly order it if needed.

Compared to vinyl, I know why your contractor wants to use the vinyl.......aluminum can be a real pain to work with compared to the vinyl.
    Last edited by Toughsox; 06-24-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    mjncad and etcallhome like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    As long as you can find the width, I cant see why not. Most of the siding warehouses around here don't carry aluminum on hand but they will gladly order it if needed.

Compared to vinyl, I know why your contractor wants to use the vinyl.......aluminum can be a real pain to work with compared to the vinyl.
    He said he would try to find some. My biggest thing is we still have to buy a new furnace and there's aren't any dents anywhere in the current siding. Is it just that it's hard to cut or is there something I'm missing? The stuff on this house looks like it's tacked on with 1" nails and just slides over the piece under it.
    Toughsox likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    I would consider just putting trim around the windows instead of piecing siding in around them.

Mike
    mjncad, Gizmo2 and Toughsox like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer7896 View Post
    I would consider just putting trim around the windows instead of piecing siding in around them.

Mike
    As in shutters? We wanted to do those anyways.....
    Toughsox likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    In my opinion, if you are doing the work yourself, patch it in. If you are paying someone to do it, have new installed.
    If you patch the aluminum siding in & paint it, it will look awful in a short time, because aluminum siding expands & contracts a lot with temperature changes. When the siding shrinks in cold weather, the siding will shrink exposing the old paint color. When the siding expands in hot weather, it will expand past the new paint line. In the process it will scrape off some of the new paint.
    I have installed a lot of vinyl siding over the years & never had a problem with any of it.
    In the end, it is your house, your money & your decision.
    Toughsox likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    As in shutters? We wanted to do those anyways.....
    I was thinking just some 1x4 trim like a casing around the window.

Mike
    Gizmo2 and Toughsox like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    . Is it just that it's hard to cut or is there something I'm missing? The stuff on this house looks like it's tacked on with 1" nails and just slides over the piece under it.
    Not hard at all....but alot sharper edges. You would be using the same tools regardless of which material you are using, tin snips, utility knives, a 4" cut off tool.
    You do walk away with a bunch of small cuts on your hands with the aluminum that would never happen when working with vinyl.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I might talk at him again tomorrow and see if he'd let me try to patch it in and then put shutters over it. I'm not sure how accurate the calculators are online but they were coming in above 5k to reside the house. We will see what his number is. That would be pretty well out of the question at this point in time.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    In my opinion, if you are doing the work yourself, patch it in. If you are paying someone to do it, have new installed.
    If you patch the aluminum siding in & paint it, it will look awful in a short time, because aluminum siding expands & contracts a lot with temperature changes. When the siding shrinks in cold weather, the siding will shrink exposing the old paint color. When the siding expands in hot weather, it will expand past the new paint line. In the process it will scrape off some of the new paint.
    I have installed a lot of vinyl siding over the years & never had a problem with any of it.
    In the end, it is your house, your money & your decision.
    Have painted a house with Aluminum siding, TWICE!!!

It was covered with the original faded paint at first.
    Scrubbed it with a cleaner and painted it.
    No issues looked great.
    Repainted it about 3 years later, not cause the paint was bad but cause the wife didn't like the color!!

Last time lasted 10 years before we resided the house with vinyl, hate vinyl siding, always moving, coming unsnapped and its a substandard product.
    Toughsox likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast