Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Outdoor Frost-Free Hot and Cold Water Spigot

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks

Outdoor Frost-Free Hot and Cold Water Spigot

I have been toying with the idea of installing this (or one like this one) hot & cold water spigot near my driveway and gravel parking area. Amazon.com : ARROWHEAD CHAMPION 496-12LF Hot/Cold Hydrant, Pack of 1 : Garden Outdoor

It works like any other frost-free water spigot but you can mix hot and cold water to obtain the water temperature of your choice without worrying about frozen pipes splitting open, etc.... Has anyone else installed one of these? What is your experience with it so far? Recommended or not?

This seems like a no-brainer answer to my adult life-long desire to have hot water available for outdoor washing of man-toys.....lol...

Appreciate any feedback you may have.

Sincerely
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Xmission Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket, Tooth Bar, Single Point Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, WR Long 3rd Function Hyd, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger with Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Thanks
    You could accomplish the same thing with separate outdoor faucets and then a "Y" hose (originally for washing machines), which can be found at most hardware stores. I have a hot and cold hose spigot/valve on my workshop washtub, in addition to a tall kitchen sink spray wand faucet. I also have hot & cold spigots next to the hose reel in the beach house garage. I have a Y hose at each one.

You'll have no issue leaving the Y hose on in the winter, as long as you don't leave a hose connected to it and it can drain. The plus side of the Y hose is it will allow to utilize conventional frost free faucets, which are less money, or you can get them in longer lengths if you penetrating a thick wall, such as concrete block.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    We picked up our 8 week old puppy Golden Retriever in Sept. This was in CT. With cold weather coming and a puppy that loved to play in the mud, I thought a hot/cold outdoor faucet would be real handy. I installed the Woodford brand and it was the best upgrade ever! The dog would get in the snow/mud and I had a small coil type hose inside that I would grab and he would get the hose. Man, warm water outside in January was the best ever!

When we moved here to PA, it was near the top of the list things to do and again hosing off the dog in the winter with warm water is great.

My boss added one and when they have small kids over they used the warm water to fill a small pool, so much better than the cold well water!

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mud.JPG   IMG_0298 (Medium).JPG  
    Last edited by TractorDude; 06-26-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Tomfive, grnspot110 and Ripsaw like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TractorDude View Post
    ... I installed the Woodford brand and it was the best upgrade ever!
    IMHO there is no better outdoor faucet, hands down.
    Tomfive likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks
    I've got This one, installed 14 years ago, and love it. Used it for everything from the dog to hot pressure washing (we have an on-demand water heater, so I get hot water all day if we don't run out of propane or well water).

We put it in the outside wall by the bathtub, so there are both hot and cold water lines within about 2 feet.

Consider the PEX version of it for ease of repair when you forget to remove the hose in the winter and it freezes. And don't forget the separate shut off valves inside so you can turn it off while you're getting and installing the replacement without leaving all the water in the house off.
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    Put it up high enough that it is easy to attach the hoses. I have mine about 16 inches off the floor. My daughter's are 4 feet off the floor. Much easier to use.
    Kennyd and Tomfive like this.
    1025R
    JD 647 Tiller
    JD 120R front end loader
    Heavy Hitch Super Duty single weight rack with cart
    8 JD suitcase weights (42 lbs)
    Heavy Hitch bucket tooth bar
    Ken's hooks, 2' receiver, seat springs, chain shortener and new handle for using the left loader mast to mount up
    Mirror on right loader mast
    RB 2060 rear blade
    54" front quick mount snow blower

9. The Following User Says Thank You to robwheeler For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (06-26-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We picked up our 8 week old puppy Golden Retriever in Sept. This was in CT. With cold weather coming and a puppy that loved to play in the mud, I thought a hot/cold outdoor faucet would be real handy. I installed the Woodford brand and it was the best upgrade ever! The dog would get in the snow/mud and I had a small coil type hose inside that I would grab and he would get the hose. Man, warm water outside in January was the best ever!

When we moved here to PA, it was near the top of the list things to do and again hosing off the dog in the winter with warm water is great.

My boss added one and when they have small kids over they used the warm water to fill a small pool, so much better than the cold well water!

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    IMHO there is no better outdoor faucet, hands down.
    All my outdoor cold water spigots at the Homestead are Woodford Brand. Didn't even look to see if they made the hot/cold spigots. I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?

Thanks

Sincerely
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 06-27-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Xmission Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket, Tooth Bar, Single Point Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, WR Long 3rd Function Hyd, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger with Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    All my outdoor cold water spigots at the Homestead are Woodford Brand. Didn't even look to see if they made the hot/col spigots. I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?

Thanks

Sincerely
    I only have the standard frost-free cold ones myself, we have a laundry tub in our heated garage with hot/cold water so I never needed one.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?
    This could depend on your current plumbing. Copper, PEX or ?

My last house was copper so I got the copper sweat connection. This house is PEX type A but because of where it comes though the wall I needed to add a 90 fitting to point the PEX up toward the ceiling so I got the 1/2" NPT end, screwed a NPT 90 on it and than a NPT to PEX adapter.

Kevin

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?
    This could depend on your current plumbing. Copper, PEX or ?

My last house was copper so I got the copper sweat connection. This house is PEX type A but because of where it comes though the wall I needed to add a 90 fitting to point the PEX up toward the ceiling so I got the 1/2" NPT end, screwed a NPT 90 on it and than a NPT to PEX adapter.

Kevin
    What I meant was horizontal vs vertical configuration. I get the rest about the connections, etc....

Thanks again

Sincerely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 383DC1A1-7122-44D4-8459-DCFBD42325D8_1561670767767.png   BC880705-2C24-4C37-8C6B-AB0528B98E6E_1561670782765.png  
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 06-27-2019 at 04:26 PM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast