Pole barn WiFi and security?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pole barn WiFi and security??

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    I used to do network engineering for a living, everything from the cabling infra to the routing/switching fabric and I wouldn't put in ground infrastructure at my home, too much cost for too little value. You'd have more in the cost of external grade cat5 or cat6 and conduit than it would cost with wifi point to point.

If you have direct line of sight I'd buy two of these: Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5: Computers Accessories and a wifi router (turn off routing mode) in my pole barn. Low cost, high value, easy install and you can keep upgrading as you need to...

This is pretty much what I did at my place and I've not wanted for more throughput at the barn.
    johncanfield likes this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    Another vote here to forget about running cable. I have a repeater under the house eave that gives me wifi to the garage and pole barn about 150' away. It supports the IP security cameras and the laptop internet connection when i am in the workshop. There are plenty of inexpensive wireless solutions that are easy to hook up.

Forgot to add.....
    Regarding the cell service....It is easy enough to add a cable and external cell antenna to their cell modem to get it outside the metal building.

Something like this with the correct connector on the cable .... cost about $100
    https://www.tessco.com/product/in-ve...t-mount-371519
    Last edited by Titleist1; 07-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    johncanfield and trboxman like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

4. Top | #13

Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks
    25 years in IT / I vote since you are trenching anyway, get some preterminated fiber from
    Fiberstore.com and a couple cheap switches for each side. Set it and forget it. Don’t have to worry about calling your nerd for wireless config, issues, updates etc. with running cat/copper you have potential for noise, ground offset issues (do you have a transformer at main building supplying 2nd building or 2 separate feeds from your utility service?). Wireless is great until you have issues. If you are a nerd or have a nerd friend who loves beer then maybe not an issue . For what’s its worth I have purchased millions of dollars of networking equipment over the years including ubiquiti (which I use and like as well, great bang for the buck). But my first choice is always fiber if the opportunity is there and the cost makes sense
    Kennyd, johncanfield and trboxman like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    A co-worker is who told me about Ubiquiti and that is what I use as mentioned above. In his case he lives out in the country and at the time there were no internet options other than dial up or sat service. His sister lives in town and can have broadband. They split the cable bill and he set up an antenna on top of her house and one on his. They were sending the signal something like 7.5 miles. It worked great. Last year there was a new service that offered coverage of some sort to him so he now goes with that but he used it for something like 5 years.

Ubiquiti makes good stuff. The only concern I would have is that configuration can be a little tough for a non technical person. Though if you went with the cloudkey for the controller and their full setup with USG, Switches and Wifi it gets a little easier. While cheaper and easier to work with than full on Cisco gear, it is far from being a basic setup like a Linksys or DLink which are pretty much plug in and go.
    Indeed, good stuff. I use Ubiquiti products all over my house and outbuildings. My house, barn, pump house are all networked wirelessly; my shop has my Internet point of presence and UniFi managed switches and a UniFi Security Gateway (USG) for the main router. I have 12 UniFi (Ubiquiti) cameras recording to a UniFi network video recorder in the house. I just bought the new Gen 2 UniFi CloudKey and integrated NVR, I’ll play with that soon.

However I’m a retired IT professional, UniFi products and networking in general would require a very steep learning curve for the inexperienced.
    trboxman likes this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

7. Top | #15
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    Run a cat5, buy a router and configure it to work as a WAP(Wireless access point) off your home router. I just bought some POE cameras and one or two will be installed in my shop. Probably 100' away. I'll update how I like them.

This is what I got. Purchased a 5th extra camera.

Amazon.com : Reolink 8CH 5MP PoE Home Security Camera System, 4pcs Wired 5MP Outdoor PoE IP Cameras, 5MP 8-Channel NVR Security System with 2TB HDD for 24/7 Recording, RLK8-420D4-5MP : Camera Photo
    johncanfield likes this.
    -2017 2032R, Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

8. Top | #16

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    You have gotten a lot of good advice. I have over 25 miles of network deployed now covering potentially hundreds of square miles of area, all wireless. I posted about the project in another thread. I would look at Ubiquiti access points and equipment (switches, PoE, cameras, etc) from ubiquiti in general. Very hard to beat the price performance without really knowing what you are doing. I also wouldn't be afraid to run wireless.
    johncanfield and trboxman like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

9. Top | #17

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Thanks
    My pole barn is about 150ft from my shop & about 190ft from my shop office.
    I ran 3 - 2" PVC conduits between the shop & pole barn. One conduit houses the water line, one house the 3 phase electric line, the other carries an air line, Rg6 coax & cat5e cable.
    I have not had a need for wireless in the barn yet. I have a Roku that plugs into ethernet switch. I also plug my laptop into the ethernet switch when I have it in the barn.
    johncanfield likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

10. Top | #18

Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks
    Another option to extend your home network to the new barn is “powerline Ethernet”. Basically plug a device into an electrical socket one on house one in barn. Each device has an Ethernet jack on it / think of it as just a long network cable. Then you can plug a WiFi access point in the barn if you want. I have this to network a detached building on my property and run a couple security cameras over it. Haven’t touched it on the 3 years since I put it in, no issues. If everything is running back to same electrical meter it should work . Kits are $50-$100 ish

11. Top | #19

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks

Wow!

Thanks guys, seems. Have a lot of homework and digesting all the great advice! I repeat I am not computer literate so will look at the simpler solutions pointed out. I will not be doing a lot of internet stuff in the shop (unless I keep getting in trouble around the house lol).
    I really want to have security of some kind in the shop though. Will have my 1025R and implements. Also my boat and a LOT of fishing stuff so security is a priority. Will be wanting a couple cameras and point of entry sensors for sure. Will want a motion sensor inside the building also. Motion sensor outside would be useless I am afraid, lots of deer, coons, skunks etc etc roam all over my place and especially at night.

Thanks again and will do some reading and studying.

12. Top | #20

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t300 View Post
    Another option to extend your home network to the new barn is “powerline Ethernet”. Basically plug a device into an electrical socket one on house one in barn. Each device has an Ethernet jack on it / think of it as just a long network cable. Then you can plug a WiFi access point in the barn if you want. I have this to network a detached building on my property and run a couple security cameras over it. Haven’t touched it on the 3 years since I put it in, no issues. If everything is running back to same electrical meter it should work . Kits are $50-$100 ish
    I saw a you tube video of this and looks good and easy! If I understand correctly, it uses the existing electrical wiring of both house and shop as an antennae? I am coming out of my houses breaker box to the shop where there will be another breaker box. All off the same meter.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast