Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pole barn WiFi and security??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Thanks

Pole barn WiFi and security??

I hopefully after all the rain delays am getting my new pole barn started in a couple weeks. It is approximately 150 feet from my house. Wanting to get WiFi out to the shop (got to check the posts here and read them to Johnny!). I am running water and power and thinking I might be smart to run a cat5 out to the barn in the same trench? Then put up a WiFi router? In the barn.
    As far as security,I would like a basic system to let me know via IPhone if anything happens out there. I have simpli safe security at the house but talked to customer service and she told me that the cell service their system uses would most likely not work from inside a metal building. Really appreciated the honesty. She also said that it was too far away just to tie into my existing system. I really dont need the barn to be monitored, just send me a notification on the phone.
    I am not really that technologically astute! As a matter of fact I gave up computers when I retired and work only on IPhone and IPads now so hopefully there is something that can be set up with them. I do have my mac laptop still but almost forgot how to turn it on!!
    Really excited to get this barn going, been waiting a long time because all the builders in the area are booked out forever then we had this Amazonian wet weather all spring! It’s just a 32x30 with 2 overhead doors and one walk in.I will be doing all the inside finish work so will be a while yet till completion.
    Any thoughts on these 2 items would greatly be appreciated and thanks to all that have contributed to all the things I have read and learned about here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I can't answer any of your questions, but I am also wanting to do the same and will be watching this thread.
    Herminator likes this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Thanks
    I'd certainly run some Cat5 or Cat6 in the trench, you can have Ethernet cable runs of 300 feet, but I would definitely run that cable in conduit so at some point you could pull fiberoptic cable in the future.
    mjncad, North585, Tomfive and 3 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 2"receiver hitch drawbar
    Titan 42 inch pallet forks
    Titan Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

mjncad (07-03-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,809 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Two 2” conduits should serve you, one for power and one for low voltage (I also have an air line in with the LV), CAT5 at 150’ is fine, but I’d step up to CAT6 or multimode fiber since it’s readily available-get cable made for outside use.

I have a router/extender in my pole barn (about 80’ away) that’s on the same network as the house so I can walk seamlessly between the two with no interruptions, I appreciate that because I stream XM on my phone all the time.

I also have a SimpliSafe in the barn, it does work for me if I keep the base if front of the window. I would love if they came out with a wired extension for these situations so we could use one base for two buildings.
    North585, Tomfive, raco232 and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Thanks
    When we built this house 30 years ago, networking and internet weren't a consideration. To get wifi out to my heated storage and workshop which is about 85 feet away in a stick-built 20x30 building, I put in a MESH router system about a year ago and that gets good wifi out there. But I agree with KennyD that conduit and CAT6 is the way to go. Likely more secure, but at $125 for 500 feet of CAT6 and Schedule 40 2-inch conduit at about $.80 a foot, that route would be substantially cheaper.

For security, I use Nest cameras which notify me of any visitors and keeps a record, and it works well for me. I don't know anything about SimpliSafe other than that SimpliSafe and Renewal by Andersen together are responsible for about 75% of my email SPAM.
    Tomfive likes this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 2"receiver hitch drawbar
    Titan 42 inch pallet forks
    Titan Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Going from the new garage to the pole barn I have the following run.

2 x 2" conduit. (power and low voltage)
    3 x 3/4" PEX (Air, Water and spare)
    1 loop of 1" Thermo-PEX (future use for heat exchanger off boiler in new garage)

I have a buddy that can terminate fiber so I might do a fiber run out there or CAT6 at a minimum. You can pull premade fiber runs out there but the big problems are you are not going to gain much in terms of speed. It isn't like you are using a ton of bandwidth out there. The switch needed on both ends of that fiber are going to be more expensive and you run the risk of damaging the end if not careful pulling the fiber through 150' of conduit. If it were me and not have a huge tech need, then I would just do CAT6. I will likely do both.

As for the other stuff. I work in IT so to be honest my setup is far from average. I use Ubiquiti equipment for all networking. I used to use Cisco gear but I can buy new Ubiquiti equipment with support and a warranty for what I can buy Cisco gear for. With this I have a controller so that manages all my access points across the property and creates a mesh network so the devices seamlessly hand off from one access point to the next. I am running multiple VLANs (Virtual Networks) for isolation for things like the Kids, Guest Network and IoT stuff that I don't trust.

I hate monthly fees so I avoid the Ring/Nest and other similar service type systems. I have a Synology Diskstation (NAS) with tons of storage. This runs Surveillance Station which is a free app for up to 2 cameras. You can add more cameras but there is a one time licensing fee ($200 for a 4 pack of licenses). It does auto recording and alerting. However a Synology has a fairly steep entry fee for equipment if that is all you are using it for. You would have to do the math to see how much per year you pay now and when they payoff would be. Being I use it for ton of other stuff, it just makes sense. If you want to build your own Blue Iris is another good solution. Right now I am using the free version of the Synology because I only have 2 cameras. That will expand once I get done with construction and at that point in time I will have to decide, do I pay the $200 for another 4 pack of camera licenses or pay $70 I think for Blue Iris? Granted I need hardware for Blue Iris but remember I work in IT so I have all kinds of computers laying around that will run it. I will add a 10 Gigabit NIC to it and use the Synology for storage of the video. Then I can throw all the cameras I want at it and not worry about additional work load on the Synology impacting the other stuff I am doing there and no additional licensing fees.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    I'd certainly run some Cat5 or Cat6 in the trench, you can have Ethernet cable runs of 300 feet, but I would definitely run that cable in conduit so at some point you could pull fiberoptic cable in the future.
    You have to be a bit careful anytime you run copper cabling from one building to another, especially low voltage wiring (i.e. Ethernet) as any nearby lightning strikes can induce a voltage which can damage the equipment at either end. Care should be taken to properly bond the grounds and if possible use Ethernet surge protectors at each end.
    Tomfive likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Thanks
    My father in law has a 8 stall barn sitting 1,000ft away with nearly two dozen wifi cameras that live view and record using an NVR. My IT friend is the one who set it up for him. On the exterior of the house he has a small antenna that sends a line of sight signal to the other antenna (receiver) mounted on the exterior of the barn. He started with 1 camera and then 8 and now they're just like mosquitos on a hot summer night, they're everywhere in and on the barn

I haven't dove in enough to his equipment or the product website to know what he has or what I should add to my own property. I believe he's using the G3 cameras and one dome. Now that they have optical zoom models since he got his he will likely upgrade.

The company name is Ubiquiti and they make some very nice stuff at an affordable price.

https://www.ui.com
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nastorino For This Useful Post:

ga80486 (07-15-2019)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    My father in law has a 8 stall barn sitting 1,000ft away with nearly two dozen wifi cameras that live view and record using an NVR. My IT friend is the one who set it up for him. On the exterior of the house he has a small antenna that sends a line of sight signal to the other antenna (receiver) mounted on the exterior of the barn. He started with 1 camera and then 8 and now they're just like mosquitos on a hot summer night, they're everywhere in and on the barn

I haven't dove in enough to his equipment or the product website to know what he has or what I should add to my own property. I believe he's using the G3 cameras and one dome. Now that they have optical zoom models since he got his he will likely upgrade.

The company name is Ubiquiti and they make some very nice stuff at an affordable price.

https://www.ui.com
    A co-worker is who told me about Ubiquiti and that is what I use as mentioned above. In his case he lives out in the country and at the time there were no internet options other than dial up or sat service. His sister lives in town and can have broadband. They split the cable bill and he set up an antenna on top of her house and one on his. They were sending the signal something like 7.5 miles. It worked great. Last year there was a new service that offered coverage of some sort to him so he now goes with that but he used it for something like 5 years.

Ubiquiti makes good stuff. The only concern I would have is that configuration can be a little tough for a non technical person. Though if you went with the cloudkey for the controller and their full setup with USG, Switches and Wifi it gets a little easier. While cheaper and easier to work with than full on Cisco gear, it is far from being a basic setup like a Linksys or DLink which are pretty much plug in and go.
    Last edited by sennister; 07-03-2019 at 11:16 AM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    Code (NEC) requires at least a foot of soil between your AC power feeder conductors and the low voltage cabling. So to put them in the same trench, you'd likely want your feeders at 3' depth, backfill a foot and then your low voltage at 2'. Otherwise, two separate trenches. This is to minimize the induced voltage from nearby lightening that jgayman spoke of.

I'd definitely utilize a 2" conduit for the low voltage whether utilizing cable rated for direct burial or not. First, I'd suck in a 3/16" nylon pull rope through it, with a shop vac, better than twice the conduit run in length. In this manner, you'd just leave the rope in place and use it to pull in your CAT5/6 and any future additions. With the rope in the conduit, this will prevent future runs from becoming tangled around existing runs. I did this 20+ years ago between the beach house and the main house, about a 100' run. I have padded myself on the back more than once for this foresight! I direct buried everything that was current technology when installed it, telephone & CATV and the conduit was empty. Since then, I've pulled in coax feeds for satellite receivers, a two conductor twisted pair shielded to extend the alarm system, and a CAT 5 run.

As the others somewhat eluded to, I have the "router" configured to disable the router functionality and just utilize it as a wifi access point. So everything works seamlessly with the main house.

While I don't have any experience with them, I'd be inclined to have some IP cameras that I could monitor from my cell phone with some type of motion detection alert. However, you may want to check with your insurance agent in regards to policy discounts. When I built the main home, my insurance carrier offered a monitored alarm system discount that was enough whereas it paid for all the alarm system materials in less than three years and I installed a pretty comprehensive system for the time.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast