• 3 Post By jgayman
  • 4 Post By TruckFarmer55

Thread: Brown outs and panel boxes

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

Brown outs and panel boxes

Would a brown out cause a breaker box to heat up? 94° here and had some wind. Noticed we weren't running in full power so I threw the main breaker off but noticed everything was quite warm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    Would a brown out cause a breaker box to heat up? 94° here and had some wind. Noticed we weren't running in full power so I threw the main breaker off but noticed everything was quite warm.

low voltage will force motors to draw more amps to compensate to do the same work.....and higher amps can heat things up

i have a incoming voltage meter on my computer UPS that is convienent to view regularly......i have noticed the last couple of days our normal 123v is now 119v .....if it gets down below 110 i will turn some things off to lessen/limit any possible damage to devices
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, sennister and 2 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-25-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you. Electrical isn't my strong suit.
    Herminator likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    Thank you. Electrical isn't my strong suit.

i would think unless your running things in the "shop" the only motor load in the house would be the ac compressor ...if your concerned i would probably use a heat gun and just monitor the temps on that breaker in the box .....if the main breaker is getting hot i would certainly reduce load throughout the house...

im not a electition maybe one will expound more on here....would be good info to know
    rtgt and Herminator like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    low voltage will force motors to draw more amps to compensate to do the same work.....and higher amps can heat things up

i have a incoming voltage meter on my computer UPS that is convienent to view regularly......i have noticed the last couple of days our normal 123v is now 119v .....if it gets down below 110 i will turn some things off to lessen/limit any possible damage to devices
    Doesn't your UPS automatically adjust the incoming voltage? My APC UPS will "boost" and "trim" (also known as Buck and Boost) to keep the incoming AC within an acceptable range without switching over to battery power.
    rtgt, Herminator and kylew like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Doesn't your UPS automatically adjust the incoming voltage? My APC UPS will "boost" and "trim" (also known as Buck and Boost) to keep the incoming AC within an acceptable range without switching over to battery power.
    Mine does that. In addition to that it is a sine wave UPS so it cleans up the erratic cycles to provide a much cleaner power to the computer and NAS. Almost all of them will make up for voltage swings, however not all of them will output sine wave power or just do a simulated wave. It doesn't cost a lot more for one that can produce a sine wave output but they are better for computers.

The one I have is $50 more than the one that does a "Simulated Sine Waveform"

Sine Wave
    https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP.../dp/B00429N19W

Simulated Sine Wave
    https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP.../dp/B000FBK3QK

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We have been running fans but we don't have AC. Just a fridge and freezer. Turns out the cause of our power outage was the cheap neighbor that wouldn't have a big dead ash cut down in the last four years. We got lucky, only house in the area with no power.🙄

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

yes that is how i understand that it works....it has a led display on the frount though that i can scroll thru and see input voltage...output voltage .. hertz....plus a host of other info ...such as event information.....i have had it for years but i remember selecting the voltage range from a menu when setting it up..

fwiw ....i scrolled it and the last event on it was a low voltage 101v event
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-21-2019 at 12:07 AM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    Ah, brownouts. I prefer a clean loss of power.

I was looking to buy a house in south Mississippi once many years ago (mid 70's) and noticed the lights going very dim or very bright from time to time. I checked the voltage and it ranged from about 80v to 140v. I called the power company, they came out and determinied the neutral in the step down transformer was bad. And they had no plans to fix it as all the houses on that transformer had power. Another reason not to get that house. That would make for a short life for most everything pluged in, especially the motors.

As the neighbor loads changed, mainly the big a/c compressors, the voltage varied. Such a swing was quite a surprise though.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Finally got power on today. The neighbors negligence also cost us one of our pets. Linemen found one of our cats under the wire. Hes getting the bill from the three times the fire department had to come out and from the tree service company that took the tree off the wire. At least it's something.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements