Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Soffit Lighting

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks

Soffit Lighting

Quick question I had for people here that might know. We are building a new attached garage as documented here.

We are working out the details on the exterior lighting. What we want to do is on each corner of the garage doors and the access door is have a can installed in the Soffit. I think the code states that it needs to be an airtight IC rated can. I get that some areas have different codes for this but I think that is what I need to look for right?

Thinking something along the lines of this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-6PK/202256649

We do still need to sort out what we are doing for a light but it will most likely be LED and something along the lines of this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-LT-...-304216252-_-N

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks
    in our area ...the only code issues are #1 it has to be a exterior ul rated fixture...and #2 cant bleed light over a property line

that being said we have to give heavy consideration to bugs..wasps...condensation...air filtration.. when choosing a fixture
    sennister likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    On an exterior fixture you will need an exterior rated fixture. Or at the very least one that is rated for damp locations.

Are you looking for the recessed can look so you don't see the fixture or just looking for lights in the corners and seeing the fixture isn't a big deal.

Here are a couple flush mount exterior led down lights.
    13W Ultra Thin LED Downlight - TCP DDR40150 | 1000Bulbs.com

2.25 aspectLED
    Gizmo2, sennister and kylew like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    in our area ...the only code issues are #1 it has to be a exterior ul rated fixture...and #2 cant bleed light over a property line

that being said we have to give heavy consideration to bugs..wasps...condensation...air filtration.. when choosing a fixture
    We have a large metal halide light not too far from where these soffit lights are going. Really that will be providing 90% of the light in the area. I might even tie the soffit lights to the garage door opener that they are closest to or via motion. The idea is to illuminate the walls on either side of the opening to aid in backing into a garage stall. As far as the one above the access door, it is a code requirement. Even though there is plenty of light from the fixture on the other building, it doesn't count.
    mjncad and DeereBoots like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    On an exterior fixture you will need an exterior rated fixture. Or at the very least one that is rated for damp locations.

Are you looking for the recessed can look so you don't see the fixture or just looking for lights in the corners and seeing the fixture isn't a big deal.

Here are a couple flush mount exterior led down lights.
    13W Ultra Thin LED Downlight - TCP DDR40150 | 1000Bulbs.com

2.25 aspectLED
    We are looking for the recessed can look. That is why I was thinking I would be fine with a IC rated can and a water tite LED "bulb" basically looking at what would be acceptable for a shower. What throws me off is I think code in most areas calls a soffit a "damp area" and I am not sure if IC meets the requirements for that.

JD X585, 54C deck,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    They have covers for Recessed Can Lights the say right on the back and meet code suitable for wet locations. Required over a bath tub and shower. They are gasketed and fit good to the sheet rock. New code may require screws and no glass they keep changing things over the years. Wet and Damp are to different conditions of water. Water splashed up against the cover is what they are stopping not just being in a damp location. Like Rain Proof, Water Proof, Weather Proof. Submergible and how deep, Explosion Proof, Vapor Proof the list is long and each has a different code requirement for use.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 07-23-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    mjncad, sennister and kylew like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    They have covers for Recessed Can Lights the say right on the back and meet code suitable for wet locations. Required over a bath tub and shower. They are gasketed and fit good to the sheet rock. New code may require screws and no glass they keep changing things over the years. Wet and Damp are to different conditions of water. Water splashed up against the cover is what they are stopping not just being in a damp location. Like Rain Proof, Water Proof, Weather Proof. Submergible and how deep, Explosion Proof, Vapor Proof the list is long and each has a different code requirement for use.
    Yeah the bulbs I listed before:

state the following:

• Wet rated, can be used outdoors or as a shower light

Which is why I think I am fine that route but I am not sure about the can.
    JD4044M likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Quick question I had for people here that might know. We are building a new attached garage as documented here.

We are working out the details on the exterior lighting. What we want to do is on each corner of the garage doors and the access door is have a can installed in the Soffit. I think the code states that it needs to be an airtight IC rated can. I get that some areas have different codes for this but I think that is what I need to look for right?

Thinking something along the lines of this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-6PK/202256649

We do still need to sort out what we are doing for a light but it will most likely be LED and something along the lines of this.

The can light trim would need to be damp location. The can itself doesn't matter. IC rating is for Insulation Contact rated. So if there is insulation that is being blown over it or batt insulation in direct contact with the can then you need a IC rated can. If I remember correctly ( been a long time since I look at the code for this)if the insulation is more than 3" away from the can it doesn't need an IC rating.
    kylew and JD4044M like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    The can light trim would need to be damp location. The can itself doesn't matter. IC rating is for Insulation Contact rated. So if there is insulation that is being blown over it or batt insulation in direct contact with the can then you need a IC rated can. If I remember correctly ( been a long time since I look at the code for this)if the insulation is more than 3" away from the can it doesn't need an IC rating.
    You are correct Big. Non-IC, insulation no closer than 3", including a wiring compartment that is part of the fixture. IC can have direct contact with insulation.

And yes Sennister, a soffit is typically considered a damp location, not wet, as normally it's not subjected to saturation with water or liquids.
    JD4044M likes this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    The bug issue mentioned above should be a big consideration, the "damp location" covers on a regular can will just hold them in over time.

If it was me, I'd look at some sort of flush mount LED like these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...6-HD/301757625
    mjncad, Gizmo2 and JD4044M like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast