• 2 Post By sennister
  • 1 Post By sennister

Thread: Built a little Chicken Run

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks

Built a little Chicken Run

Got tired of chickens pooping on the deck and patio but i still wanted them to have more room than the crappy coop i bought from TSC. So i made this run that i can open and close the doors at the coop once they have scratched down to the dirt in one of the runs. tried to make it cheap and maint free, the frame hoops are 1/2 poly pipe for irrigation. PVC on the ends for stiffness. the doors are on a closet door bypass track. So far it working pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicken Run.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	700760
    fdmars, Bubber, rtgt and 14 others like this.
    Tractor (2038R) with stuff.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RacenJason For This Useful Post:

WilliamT. (08-20-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RacenJason View Post
    Got tired of chickens pooping on the deck and patio but i still wanted them to have more room than the crappy coop i bought from TSC. So i made this run that i can open and close the doors at the coop once they have scratched down to the dirt in one of the runs. tried to make it cheap and maint free, the frame hoops are 1/2 poly pipe for irrigation. PVC on the ends for stiffness. the doors are on a closet door bypass track. So far it working pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicken Run.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	700760
    I’ve got some ancient chicken coops on my property from before I was born. The problem(s) are the dog and wild predators. This might work well for me. Thanks for the idea.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and RacenJason like this.
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54” deck 47” snowblower

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Thanks
    That is neat. Climbing on the car to peck off the dead bugs is also a highlight of loose chicken time. And of course they need to leave a present.
    BigJim55, keane, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    now that is thinking outside the box very well indeed. isn't fresh eggs every day such a treat
    PJR832 and RacenJason like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Thanks
    I lost 40 chickens to predators and if I ever get a few chickens that looks like the ideal setup to ward off predators. I noticed you said "little chicken" run so would this design also work for big chickens?
    PJR832 and RacenJason like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    I lost 40 chickens to predators and if I ever get a few chickens that looks like the ideal setup to ward off predators. I noticed you said "little chicken" run so would this design also work for big chickens?
    I wouldnt call it predator proof at all, part of the reason for having the doors, i can lock them in at night. The netting is just plastic and the polypipe just sits on the ground. The design would work for big chicken, you just need to make the hoops taller, hahaha
    pappa and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    No need to worry about big chickens. They are normally called dinner around here.
    pappa and RacenJason like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    No need to worry about big chickens. They are normally called dinner around here.
    Those are laying chickens, you wouldnt want to eat them. Be like eating boot leather. Where did you do you EIB??? Got mine in Korea

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RacenJason View Post
    Those are laying chickens, you wouldnt want to eat them. Be like eating boot leather. Where did you do you EIB??? Got mine in Korea
    Ahh. Chicken soup. Maybe dice them up and make some Chicken Ala King and it would bring back memories of MREs

Got mine in Hohenfels Germany. That would have been about the spring of 1997 I think. True Blue but somehow managed to break both my feet on the 12 miler. At least I was able to make it across the line on my heels. It took me 45 min to get to the 6 mile turn around point where I could hear and sure felt my right foot snap and two steps later my left. The guy I was jogging with even heard them snap. 2 more hrs to get back to the finish line giving me 15 min to complete the M16 part. During train up I had been jogging the entire 12 miles in 1.5 to 1.75 hrs. That was back when I was in pretty good shape. Extended scale on the 17-22 age group for PT Test even though I was older than that. I was laid for a bit afterwards but as you know, once you get it, never have to do it again. It also helps in the promotion side of things as well. I think it was the afternoon of the 3rd day that I finally got to and then passed the grenade station on first shot that I was pretty darn sure I had it in the bag. All it would take is one bad bounce at that station and you were recycled. That always seemed to wash out a lot of guys.

Pretty much all my time was spent in 3rd Inf Regiment and 4th Inf Regiment. My crest below my name was 3rd Inf Reg where I maintained my regimental affiliation.
    Last edited by sennister; 08-29-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    RacenJason likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements