Any advice running water, electrical, and possibly gas from my house to my pool?
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Littlegreenmachine
  • 4 Post By rwmeyer
  • 4 Post By CJadamec
  • 3 Post By kylew
  • 1 Post By Littlegreenmachine
  • 1 Post By keane

Thread: Any advice running water, electrical, and possibly gas from my house to my pool?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks

Any advice running water, electrical, and possibly gas from my house to my pool?

I may have some free time from work soon. If I do and my yard dries up I want to get electrical and water out to my pool for future use when I build the deck.

The electrical and water will need to go roughly 80-90í.

Electrical
    When I built my house I had the electrician put two dedicated circuits on the back where my kitchen is. Both wires are in 1 box right Now. 1 wire is capped off. I put a gfi on the other wire. The only thing plugged in right now is a touch faucet for my sink. My plan is to leave the one gfi and also run that one wire to the pool for future led lights and tv, etc. The other wire will run straight to the pump.
    I donít know electrical at all. I do have a buddy that does electrical so hopefully Iím fine.

Water
    When I built my house I had the plumber put me hot and cold spigots by my outdoor kitchen. It also needs to run the 80í or so. How would you guys go about running Water lines off the hot and cold water spigots? Right now I just have a T on each the hot and cold and running 3í water hoses to my sink. My plan is to keep hot and cold to the sink and run hot and cold out to the pool.

Gas
    I had the plumber put a high and low output which is right next to the water. Right now I have it hooked to a boiling pot and a bbq pit. Iím not sure Iíll ever use it on the deck and whether itís worth it. It would be best to just do it now so I donít have to tear the yard back up at a later date. So Iím still undecided on it.

In the picture below
    Red- screened in porch with a tv. 9í x 30í
    Blue- open kitchen with cover. 9í X 12í
    Both the red and blue are on a slab with a cover over the entire 9í x 42

Purple- 33í x 54Ē above ground pool
    Yellow- utility sink
    Green - electrical box by sink that I want to go out to the pool.
    Orange- water spigots.

So. Any advice, doís, dontís, etc? Preferred size pipes for water and electrical etc? Any I wish I did this or that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EC0D38FB-7638-4868-9B1A-472D03283235.jpeg
    mark02tj likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    LGM, My first question would be, "Are you going to do this legally with inspections & permits, or just do it?" Local codes may tell you some things you MUST do.

Assuming your just gonna do it:

Electrical: How much electrical power do you NEED for your pool pump? This may require a separate line from your main panel. As far as wire, you can use direct burial cable...but I wouldn't (I just don't like it)! I'd lay PVC conduit in a trench and pull wires through. A lightening strike could (??) hit your pump and fry buried cables. With PVC conduit, disconnect each end of wire and pull new, NOT dig up yard again! Start with electrical power needs and we'll go from there!

Water: I'd first put a ball valve as close to the spigot as possible. From that, 1" poly flexible well pipe...also with a valve at the pool end! For hot water, I'd look into an "on-demand hot water heater" located at the pool. This could be electrical or gas powered. You'll use a LOT of water emptying 80-90 feet of cold water in a separate hot water feed!

Gas: Again, start with a shut-off valve at the house. Not knowing your soil conditions, I'd lay poly well pipe in your trench and then snake flexible copper tubing through that.

Just my first thoughts, Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    Electrical around pools has some very different rules to follow compared to standard residential wiring. Section 680 of the NEC covers electrical installations in and around pools.

Is your pool already installed?
    Is the deck going to mate up to the pool for swimming access in and out?
    What is the planned use for the electrical power run out to the deck. Is it for lighting or just to have the convenience of having an outlet out there.
    The wire going out there should be run in conduit if it goes anywhere near the pool. In general direct burial cable is not acceptable for use around pools.

How much power is available at your pool equipment pad? There should be 2 20amp circuits run out there, one for the pump and one for an outlet. If all you need power for is some lights you might be able to get power from the outlet circuit.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    As for the electrical, get your buddy over there before your start and go over your plan. Pools can be tricky animals to do right. This is one of those articles in the National Electrical Code where they don't play around and things are pretty strict. PVC pipe should be fine, unless your area dictates that it's not. Your friend should be able to shed some light on that, along with what size conductors are needed, so you can size the pipe accordingly. Water and electricity don't mix and chlorine and copper don't play well together either. Get your friend involved and keep him/her in the loop. Sorry, but that's my best suggestion when doing wiring for a pool.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    LGM, My first question would be, "Are you going to do this legally with inspections & permits, or just do it?" Local codes may tell you some things you MUST do.

Water: I'd first put a ball valve as close to the spigot as possible. From that, 1" poly flexible well pipe...also with a valve at the pool end! For hot water, I'd look into an "on-demand hot water heater" located at the pool. This could be electrical or gas powered. You'll use a LOT of water emptying 80-90 feet of cold water in a separate hot water feed!

Gas: Again, start with a shut-off valve at the house. Not knowing your soil conditions, I'd lay poly well pipe in your trench and then snake flexible copper tubing through that.

I agree but add power or gas needs for hot water to your calculations.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post

Assuming your just gonna do it:

Electrical: How much electrical power do you NEED for your pool pump? This may require a separate line from your main panel. As far as wire, you can use direct burial cable...but I wouldn't (I just don't like it)! I'd lay PVC conduit in a trench and pull wires through. A lightening strike could (??) hit your pump and fry buried cables. With PVC conduit, disconnect each end of wire and pull new, NOT dig up yard again! Start with electrical power needs and we'll go from there!

Electrical- Just doing it. Iím pretty good around here unless you start building a shop or something bigger. My buddy works on commercial electrical. We will be putting it in 1Ē pipe. He will be providing that for free. Maybe even wire.
    The 2 electrical lines i have now are on separate 20amp breakers in the garage and ran to the back corner of my house awaiting me to get it from there to the pool. 1 for the pump only and the other one will be for future stuff like lights and tv.

Water- hmmm. Thatís something to look into and think about with the water heater. The hot spigot coming out of the house now is from a recirculating tankless hot water heater now. Maybe itís a good idea to run a smaller waterline for the hot since it will end up being used for a shower and maybe sink. Probably not much more. The cold would be shower, sink, and fill the pool when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Electrical around pools has some very different rules to follow compared to standard residential wiring. Section 680 of the NEC covers electrical installations in and around pools.

Is your pool already installed?
    Is the deck going to mate up to the pool for swimming access in and out?
    What is the planned use for the electrical power run out to the deck. Is it for lighting or just to have the convenience of having an outlet out there.
    The wire going out there should be run in conduit if it goes anywhere near the pool. In general direct burial cable is not acceptable for use around pools.

How much power is available at your pool equipment pad? There should be 2 20amp circuits run out there, one for the pump and one for an outlet. If all you need power for is some lights you might be able to get power from the outlet circuit.
    Thanks. I just read over section 680 and will also have my buddy which knows the codes.
    -pool is installed
    -deck will start at the kitchen and work itself up and towards the pool with a bar. It will then go around the pool.
    -power to deck is lights and tv and probably a convenient outlet.
    -buddy has me using 1Ē pipe so far for the electrical
    -read above about the 2 separate breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    As for the electrical, get your buddy over there before your start and go over your plan. Pools can be tricky animals to do right. This is one of those articles in the National Electrical Code where they don't play around and things are pretty strict. PVC pipe should be fine, unless your area dictates that it's not. Your friend should be able to shed some light on that, along with what size conductors are needed, so you can size the pipe accordingly. Water and electricity don't mix and chlorine and copper don't play well together either. Get your friend involved and keep him/her in the loop. Sorry, but that's my best suggestion when doing wiring for a pool.
    Thanks. I hate electrical. He will definitely be here helping once I get everything dug up.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Electrical-
    That electrical box is on my back porch/outdoor kitchen now. My electrician has 2 wires running into that box now from the electrical panel. 2 separate 20 amp breakers. About a year ago I put a gfi outlet on one of the wires so I could use it for my kitchen. The other wire is still in it. I plan to run the wires down inside of conduit. In the ground and to the pool.
    Right now it will have to go down a foot or so to the concrete and go to the right about 5í and then in the ground.

Water-
    Left is hot water spigot and the right is cold water. Green hoses now are going to a sink. I want to come off of those and run the hot and cold to the sink and then the pool. Clean it up and remove the hoses except for a hose that i will use there for stuff like cleaning and watering plants.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7CC8373C-06AC-4118-89BC-060212984CD5.jpeg 4C293DDC-7057-4CF5-9C7E-05DAF4AAA1EA.jpeg
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks
    When laying in utilities for home amenities, also consider lines for:

internet
    phone
    security
    home automation
    sound/music
    intercom

When we built our home, I added about 800 feet of conduit connecting various parts of the home (basement, attics, wall boxes in key areas). This has given me the ability to add new (or old) technology without opening walls. You might want to bury a spare conduit for some future enhancement.
    Last edited by keane; 08-30-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added
    TheOtherChris likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements