Baseboard before or after carpet?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Baseboard before or after carpet?

1. Top | #1
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Thanks

Baseboard before or after carpet?

I'm finally getting around to finishing my downstairs/basement. Drywall is complete and they are painting Monday. Carpet is already ordered, just need to give them a firm date for install.

So do I wait for carpet to be installed or do I install the baseboard trim first? The concrete floors are somewhat even but are not perfect. Also would you snap a chalk line for level or use a shim off the floor?

Thanks for your input as this is the first time I've ever ventured into trim work
    jdforever and Herminator like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Install your baseboard before having the carpeting done. If you don't they'll carpet right up to your walls and then your baseboard will sit on top of the carpet. If you ever need to take up the carpet, you'd need to remove all the baseboards to do it.

Back in the day we used a chalk line. Nowadays most guys use a laser level instead.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Big (11-02-2019), ChrisR (11-03-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I'm finally getting around to finishing my downstairs/basement. Drywall is complete and they are painting Monday. Carpet is already ordered, just need to give them a firm date for install.

So do I wait for carpet to be installed or do I install the baseboard trim first? The concrete floors are somewhat even but are not perfect. Also would you snap a chalk line for level or use a shim off the floor?

Thanks for your input as this is the first time I've ever ventured into trim work
    Years ago when I finished my basement, I used construction glue to secure the tack strips to the concrete. Trying to nail them makes a mess of the concrete. I just pulled the nails out of the tack strips before glueing. And yes, install your baseboard first. Use 1/4" to 1/2" shims to keep the baseboard off the floor, depending on the type of padding and carpeting you are having installed. Ask your carpet installer how much room to leave between the baseboard and tack strip. Hopefully LGM will see this post and chime in. He's our resident master finish carpenter.

Edit: When I said years ago, that was about 25 years ago. The tack strips are still holding very tightly.
    Last edited by jdforever; 11-02-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    mjncad, Herminator, Big and 1 others like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdforever For This Useful Post:

Big (11-02-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,583 Posts
    Before, and spaced 1/2" up, use scraps of sheetrock as spacers.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Big (11-02-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Carpet company will be installing the tack strips. I'll call them Monday and see how much space they need btwn the floor and baseboard
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    Have you tried floor leveller? It's a thin concrete mix that you pour over your floor and it fills in the low spots and levels the floor area. After it dries you can put your hardwood, tile, whatever, on a perfectly level substrate. I've used it on plywood and concrete floors. Good luck.
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 11-02-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Big and 1 others like this.
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,
    1999 +/- Craftsman lawn tractor, 46" mower deck.

12. Top | #7
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    Have you tried floor leveller? It's a thin concrete mix that you pour over your floor and it fills in the low spots and levels the floor area. After it dries you can put your hardwood, tile, whatever, on a perfectly level substrate. I've used it on plywood and concrete floors. Good luck.
    It's nothing fancy. Painted "regular" baseboard. The floor is not bad, probably won't notice over the span. If I needed to pour it out onto the floor, I'd need a tanker truck. Two bedrooms, full bath, and a huge living area. Roughly 1800-2000 sq ft.
    jdforever likes this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,640 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    I don't think that it matters does it? I've put trim in after carpet, and had carpet replaced without replacing trim. If it's particularly nice baseboards (oak, or other nice hardwood,) though I'd put the carpet down first so that the baseboards don't get damaged during carpet installation.
    .................................................. ............

Agree can be done before or after carpet is installed.

Either way works , the upstairs carpet I installed after the carper was installed. Glad I did because molding was painted and it would have been all scraped up.

When carpet was installed downstairs I put the molding down first .. had a few scrapes on molding.

As Kenny d posted leave molding up a 1/2" off floor. , thinking of one time where 1/2" maybe to much if carpet has no pad, say a low pile kitchen type carpet.
    mjncad and Big like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    It's nothing fancy. Painted "regular" baseboard. The floor is not bad, probably won't notice over the span. If I needed to pour it out onto the floor, I'd need a tanker truck. Two bedrooms, full bath, and a huge living area. Roughly 1800-2000 sq ft.
    There are gypcrete contractors that will pour it for you. I would definitely throw down extra padding under that carpet
    1025R, 120R FEL, 60D MMM, Frontier 2060L, Bunch of homemade stuff

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Before, and spaced 1/2" up, use scraps of sheetrock as spacers.

do this......if you need a followup trim you use whats called a base shoe at the bottom of the baseboard....its like a 1/4 round trim that is taller than its thickness (every lumber yard will know what base shoe is) b
    Last edited by ttazzman; 11-02-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    mjncad and Bleb like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast