Today I began cleaning the MM251's MiG gun's liner. I pulled out the liner and managed to shoot enough mineral spirits down the liner with a spritzer bottle adjusted to stream to have it run out the other end a few times... I'm leaving it soak overnight.
Tomorrow I'll run more mineral spirits down the liner and run wire back and forth through it to help loosen up the crud and once more flush it with clean mineral spirits and then run air through it.
While I had the liner out I checked the liner's holes on the end and found they were not perfectly round and the ends were jagged. I should have taken a picture but didn't think about it until after I had already used my scribe and hammer to round the hole and my file to chamfer the ends smooth.
I'm thinking that when they cut the liners to length they come down quick and the heat and downward force of the cutting tool distorts the hole a bit... might only been in my case I don't know for sure, but it couldn't hurt to check your liner's holes for roundness and chamfer the ends smooth to help the wire feed better and when reinstalling the liner.
I let just enough liner stick out of the vice so only the top coil would be forced outwards by the scribe and hammer.
I figured while I had everything taken apart I would make the old nozzle round again too with my long tapered punch... I first lubed the punch so it wouldn't bind in the nozzle and then turned it over and tapped the punch to get the punch free, it worked out nicely.
I measured the hole on a new nozzle and the punched out nozzle and found the punched out nozzle's hole was a 1/16 of an inch larger. Next time I'm going to heat just the damaged part of the nozzle with the torch and see if heat will allow just the damaged area to move outwards. .
8 pictures coming
If any of you think I post to many pictures just say so and I'll stop immediately.... as far as projects pics go I'm laying off so I don't become boring and annoying to anyone.