Green Tractor Talk banner

Hanging a garage propane heater

12K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  North Country 
#1 ·
Finally installing my insulation in my garage and am adding a Sterling propane heater. Think I am going to get carpal tunnel stapler symdrome :laugh:
The heater will be hung from the ceiling. My garage is 30' wide and 32' long. I wanted to hang the heater in one corner and blow heated air diagonally across to the other corner.

No where in the instructions do they mention installing in a corner or if I can exit my heater with a 45 deg. adapter then straight to the outside wall.
It might be easier to just install a straight pipe out of the heater and straight to the outside wall and forget the 45 deg. adapter

Does it matter where I direct the warmed air?
Does anybody have any experience with these hanging propane heaters especially the sterling which looks very similar to a Modine "Hot Dawg"

#2 · (Edited)
I've hung a bunch of'em. First, its usually best to bathe the area of heat loss with the air... towards a garage door,windows,or outside wall for example.You can split it up (balance the airflow) after installation to achieve a more uniform area temperature.Does this one have directional louvers ? Some are just up/down,while others have both. You can direct the air how you want,as long as you dont choke it down,too much. If you do,it has built in safeties(more than one) that will let you know you screwed up. I usually hang them with allthread as most have 3/8" screw bosses in the top. Be sure to leave a minimum of 18" on return air side of heater to wall.
edit to add...also , be sure to double nut the althread,as they can vibrate loose.

#3 ·
Thanks RGD yes going to hang with 3/8" threaded rod with double nuts and washers on each end of the rods. Might even add a small drilled hole in the rod to install a cotter pin.

I am going to install perferated angle iron screwed down to the top side of my trusses and hang my 3/8" rod from there. Heater will be down from finished ceiling about 10" to 12" from a 10 foot ceiling.

So I guess I would not be wrong if I simplify the install by aming the heater straight toward and angled the louvers slightly downward toward the front of the garage at one of the two front doors.

Also thinking about using "B" type double wall pipe to get me through the outside wall and thimble then change back to single wall inside.

#4 ·
You should not have any issues with direction. I have natural gas furnases, they are mounted in the air as well. The one is mounted on top of the office and the other is on a suspended platform from the ceiling. Here are a pic of each. Also, there is no additional ducting. One is heating and cooling a 40 x 50 area and the other is heating a 50 x 64. It all works well for me.

Attachments

#9 ·
Yup, Randy sure has a nice "shop" and so clean!

I've only got a 24x24 garage, but my good friend and neighbor has a 48x100 with 20 foot ceilings. Just loaded with gear too, and I can use it anytime I want. Milling machines, lathes, Hypertherm 1200 plasma cutter, and everything in between. He and his son own a forestry company and need the space (and tools) for skidder, excavation equipment, etc. I'm quite lucky to have the use of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.