What to do...what to do.

Thread: What to do...what to do.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 AM
    Thanks

What to do...what to do.

My wife and I own 35-acres about 60-miles drive from our house. We put 27-acres of the land in CRP (Conservation Resource Program) to lower our property taxes. As part of the CRP contract, I have to put 2.7-acres of the land in pollinator crop. OK, here's the rub; the Gummint has a hard-on for me to spray the existing vegetation to kill it for the new stuff to be planted in the fall. Due to the small amount of acreage, liability, and various regulatory BS, I haven't been able to find anyone to spray the land for me. Now if I owned a trailer, I could take my tractor and sprayer to our land and do it my self; but I don't own a trailer, nor do I know anyone to borrow one from, and what few I find to rent are 16' - 18' in length if I'm lucky. Buying a trailer is not in the budget at the moment, and our current HOASS would have a hissy fit if I stored it on our property where people may see it. Besides, if I run out of water, I'm hosed as I don't know my neighbors out there to refill my sprayer if need be. The calculations say I should be able to get two passes out of my 55-gallon sprayer; but I find that hard to believe. Driving my tractor out there is out of the question as that would be a 4 - 5 hour one way drive.

Now what I've been thinking is having someone lightly till, then immediately plant the pollinator seed using a seed drill. This I have a greater chance of hiring out. I'm hoping to do this in the mid September to mid October time frame.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I WISH WE NEVER BOUGHT THE LAND NOW.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,999 Posts
    Tough one. What are the taxes with and without the reduced rate? Owning land is not cheap and if you tell me built up equity is something to look forward to I will say, yeah right. We have two other properties that sometimes I wish we never bought because of taxes.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    Seems the obvious choice to me is getting a trailer, you have the truck to tow it-and the tractor to do the work you need done. I can't believe finding a rental would be that hard? Have you checked: Colorado Equipment and Tool Rental, CO Construction Equipment and Tool Rentals | Sunbelt Rentals

As for water, I think you may want to start door-knocking out there and meet your future neighbors.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    If u have a truck just rent a trailer. It shouldnt be hard to find someone to rent you a trailer.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,999 Posts
    I don't know about other areas but I have rented trailers on numerous occasion, flat beds and horse trailers. I can say I have NEVER rented a trailer that did not have issues such as axle problems, light/electrical problems and it seemed always brake problems. Brake issues are always the most fun especially when you don't find out until fully loaded and traveling down the road.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I don't know about other areas but I have rented trailers on numerous occasion, flat beds and horse trailers. I can say I have NEVER rented a trailer that did not have issues such as axle problems, light/electrical problems and it seemed always brake problems. Brake issues are always the most fun especially when you don't find out until fully loaded and traveling down the road.
    I had to laugh. EVERY time I rent a trailer it seems I get the one that "we didn't know that was wrong with it, we just rented it out last week". Now when I rent one, I plan on spending at least an hour at the rental place to get it in working order. Well, I don't rent them anymore as I just drive to my brother's house and take his, but you get my drift.

I agree with the rental though, as well as getting to know a few neighbors or finding a nearby source of water.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    Our local conservation district is very tough on people if they do not follow directions. Many times we have been "checked up on" when doing chores that ar crp related. We do not get a tax break here, we get a check.

If you have not planted yet, look into round up ready alfalfa. It will save you in the long run as you are not able to cut the ground when wildlife might be nesting. So the only way to keep weeds down is to spray. If it gets too weedy, they will ask you to spray it and start over.

You might have bit off more than you can chew here without a trailer, but a simple craigslist ad to hire someone to do this work might work out well for you.

Brian

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Tough one. What are the taxes with and without the reduced rate? Owning land is not cheap and if you tell me built up equity is something to look forward to I will say, yeah right. We have two other properties that sometimes I wish we never bought because of taxes.
    With an AG rating thanks to CRP, we're looking at $50 or less per year. Without the AG rating the county hits for $1,400.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Our local conservation district is very tough on people if they do not follow directions. Many times we have been "checked up on" when doing chores that ar crp related. We do not get a tax break here, we get a check.

If you have not planted yet, look into round up ready alfalfa. It will save you in the long run as you are not able to cut the ground when wildlife might be nesting. So the only way to keep weeds down is to spray. If it gets too weedy, they will ask you to spray it and start over.

You might have bit off more than you can chew here without a trailer, but a simple craigslist ad to hire someone to do this work might work out well for you.
    The tax break would come from the county. A check will come from the Feds in our case.

About the only wildlife I see out there are the occasional antelope, and that's it. I know there are mice; but that's a given. Planting alfalfa or sorghum is not viable as it's dryland farm country, and our well is not in yet. Besides our well permit is only for domestic use only.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Seems the obvious choice to me is getting a trailer, you have the truck to tow it-and the tractor to do the work you need done. I can't believe finding a rental would be that hard? Have you checked: Colorado Equipment and Tool Rental, CO Construction Equipment and Tool Rentals | Sunbelt Rentals

As for water, I think you may want to start door-knocking out there and meet your future neighbors.
    Yeah, I'd like a trailer; but the budget doesn't allow for it. Besides owning a trailer would open up another can of worms with our HOASS, and I'd have to pay to store it off-site to keep it out of sight. So far my calls inquiring about rentals has resulted in 16' maybe 18' trailers at best. Sunbelt is on my short list of trailer rentals with their 16' equipment trailer.

You guys on the east coast and Midwest have such an advantage over us Colorado people when it comes to used equipment and rental variety.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Anyone want to buy some plains land with utilities?
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements