Old storm window removal Q

Thread: Old storm window removal Q

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks

Old storm window removal Q

I've got 6 old fashioned ranch style awning swing out windows that have a plain piece of glass set into the outside for "double glazing". Twist over screen door type retainers were supposed to hold the glass into the varnished wood frames. The PO completely painted over the edges of the glass and I've lost one already trying to free it up. (DAN-GER-OUS!) I'd rather go into the next 4 with an idea of how to break the edges of the glass free without losing the glass again.

I'd really like to leave the main windows in place while doing this job so I can wash them, they're about
    8' above the ground. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    Uh, that sounds fun...

A picture might help us with ideas.

All I can think about is trying to cut the paint holding it in place with a knife prior to tryin to remove it.

Brian

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The storm glass sits in a recess in the wood frame. This is where the paint is keeping the glass from coming out. I attemped to pry it gently out and the corner broke off. Maybe this pic will help. Removing the window entirely to lay it flat is pretty much out of the question, they weigh a ton with both pieces of glass in them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails window close.jpg  

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Lacquer thinner and Goof Off are two things that will soften latex paint, WD40 will also,after a bit of soaking, Heat from a hair dryer,etc.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post
    Lacquer thinner and Goof Off are two things that will soften latex paint, WD40 will also,after a bit of soaking, Heat from a hair dryer,etc.
    I was thinking along the same lines, but I would use a commercial paint remover. I think there are some "gel" types that would stick better to vertical surfaces. I'd try "painting" the remover over the edges of the glass, where the paint is, to soften it up. Paint remover should also soften oil based paints too. Let the remover soak in and do its thing, scrape off the surface paint as much as possible, and try. If they're still stuck, apply another coat of remover.

I wouldn't try heat such as a heat gun, it may crack the glass. Not sure about a hair dryer, it's not as hot, may be safer on the glass, but may not be as effective.

BTW, you may have to replace the glazing of the inside glass after doing this. Good Luck.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 10:28 PM
    Thanks
    I think one of my first suggestions would be to get a good pair of suction cups and glass handler gloves/sleeves. Give you an easier time handling the glass. Also keep you safe in case of breakage.
    2019 1025R with 54" MMM, front end loader and backhoe. Just starting out with this machine looking forward to alot of years and many many projects.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for those ideas!!! I can get the windows to open almost flat out so paint remover/solvent sounds like where I'll be going. I'm pretty sure it's latex paint even though it's waay old. Not sure what we're doing with this house yet so new windows are still up in the air. I really do want to be able to clean the inside glass, it's really bad dirty.

BTW, there's no glazing compound/putty of any kind in the bed of the outside glass, just the groove all the way around where the glass fits in and secures with swivel/screw retainers. Back when these windows (Anderson) were made insulation/sealing was not too important with heating oil at $.12 a gallon.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements