Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mini deck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

Mini deck

Just finished my summer long project. We just built this house last year and I got the walkout basement I always wanted. We quickly realized that we could not deal without the ability to go out the back door. With requirements to have a patio at ground level, the ability to grill at the 1st floor level and stairs to connect the two levels we went through several different design concepts. Most of our ideas were cost prohibitive. The deck is only 7X10. Just big enough for the grill and a landing for the top of the steps. For such a small project, it managed to drag out all summer long. Here is a few pictures of final project. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3609.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	588.7 KB 
ID:	11216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3612.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	604.4 KB 
ID:	11217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg 
Size:	629.3 KB 
ID:	11218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3623.jpg 
Size:	646.5 KB 
ID:	11219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3627.jpg 
Size:	618.2 KB 
ID:	11220
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    WOW that looks awesome! What material did you use for decking and railings?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Kenny. The decking is a capstock composite made by Fiberon Products - Composite Decking - Horizon Decking | Composite Decking, Fencing, Deck Railing Products - Fiberon The railings are pressure treated 2X4s, 3/4" aluminum balusters, and then capped with a deck board. There was so many opportunities to make the project more expensive. We wanted to avoid splinters/maintenance as much as possible but could not go 100% composite. I am happy with the compromise.

Lee

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-11-2015 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Very nice job...
    2012 1026R, 60D Auto-Connect MMM with mechanical lift, H120 FEL, Frontier RC2048 Rotary Cutter and my trusty Stihl FS55 grass and weed pulverizer.

7. Top | #5
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    It really pains me to say this....your deck is bigger than mine.
    That looks great! I can tell there was alot of work in that . I really like the balusters....that was a lot of mortises!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    lreagan12 likes this.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,055 Times in 2,999 Posts
    For such a small project
    Really? That looks to me like a summer long project, especially with all the detail. I like the handrail returns.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Very nice work.

I put a ton of time into designing my pool deck so that it provided the function I needed at a cost I could live with. I wanted composite until I realized that it's a very poor choice for a pool deck (darker colors get very hot in the sun, and it's very slippery when it's wet). So, I went all pressure treated and used deck boards for the decking itself. My deck was pretty straight-forward (two wedge-shaped pieces to keep with the shape of the round pool and a staircase) and it took me all of last summer and a bit of this one (and, technically, it isn't done yet).

One thing I will caution you about - grilling on the deck. You have two major things to be concerned about.

1) Spills. Get a grilling mat to put underneath so that nothing that spills from the grill will end up on the deck. This will prevent staining and could also prevent more significant materials damage.

2) Fire/Heat plus vinyl siding = Melt. Be very careful about how the grill is situated in relation to the house so that heat and/or fire will never catch the house on fire or melt the siding (it happened to a very good friend of mine, and it took exactly 30 seconds to occur). Also, you may want to consider some sort of fireproof material between the grill and railings to ensure those are not damaged.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    Very nice work.

I put a ton of time into designing my pool deck so that it provided the function I needed at a cost I could live with. I wanted composite until I realized that it's a very poor choice for a pool deck (darker colors get very hot in the sun, and it's very slippery when it's wet). So, I went all pressure treated and used deck boards for the decking itself. My deck was pretty straight-forward (two wedge-shaped pieces to keep with the shape of the round pool and a staircase) and it took me all of last summer and a bit of this one (and, technically, it isn't done yet).

One thing I will caution you about - grilling on the deck. You have two major things to be concerned about.

1) Spills. Get a grilling mat to put underneath so that nothing that spills from the grill will end up on the deck. This will prevent staining and could also prevent more significant materials damage.

2) Fire/Heat plus vinyl siding = Melt. Be very careful about how the grill is situated in relation to the house so that heat and/or fire will never catch the house on fire or melt the siding (it happened to a very good friend of mine, and it took exactly 30 seconds to occur). Also, you may want to consider some sort of fireproof material between the grill and railings to ensure those are not damaged.
    I have the grill spaced away from the house, but your concern about the railing is on my radar. With that top cap being made from the composite decking, I don't want to cook it.

As for stains, this was something that gave me a lot of challenge in my shopping for composite. Many of the "first generation" composite deck materials have a terrible reputation for staining. In addition to food stains, they have had huge issues with mold spots. There is a class action suit againts Trex for this very issue. I was looking at 100% PVC options but they only come in a solid color and are quite pricey. The one we settled on is capped with a recycled composite core. The claim (and initial impression) is that this coating will be very stain resistant. But, as you mention for your pool deck, it is also slick when it is wet. I spent so much time on this project trying to weigh the various options. For the price of the upper grade composites, you can also go with one of the exotic hardwoods (like Ipe) and since the deck is small (I only used 190 sf of decking for the deck, landing, steps, railing caps, and even trim around the decks) I even considered that option. Ask me in a few years if I made the right choice!

Lee
    Last edited by ljnelson109; 09-06-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Noticed a couple typos

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Very nice. With my carpentry skills, that would be a 5 to 10 year project.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Lee,

That came out great! As others said, it may be a "small" project in the footprint it has, but it certainly took a lot of hours to complete, and it shows in the final product. I like how it turned out. The multiple levels make it more interesting to my eye.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast