My "other" (non tractor) shop - any others out there?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My "other" (non tractor) shop - any others out there?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 06:02 PM
    Thanks

My "other" (non tractor) shop - any others out there?

I was thinking about the pictures of Randym's shop, the kennyd projects, and Steve (jenkinsph) "home brew" implements and was feeling a little inadequate. So like any other red blooded tractor lover, it's time to compensate.

Here's two shots of my electronics "shop".

Top shelf, right to left:
    "junk" generator, 50Khz to 1GHz on top of line voltage variac (auto transformer).
    100 KHz sine/square generator (And old Heathkit I built in 1969)
    Black box above that is a waveform generator I built from scratch.
    0-50V 1.5A power supply, another Heathkit
    1-20V 20A HP power supply
    Another Heathkit, an old 0-15V, .5A adjustable

Middle Shelf:
    HP 10 KHz to 1GHz Rf generator, on top of that is 0 to 5 MHz programmable waveform generator.
    10 to 100KHz FFT audio waveform analyzer.
    10 KHz to 1.8GHz spectrum analyzer with tracking generator, on top of that is 400 MHz dual channel digital scope, 1K sample memory (circa 1995)
    16 channel logic analyzer, 1K sample memory (circa 1998), on top of that is 6 1/2 digit multi-meter, measures down to the microvolt level, on top of that is a frequency counter.
    Bench power supply, 0-6V at 5A, +- 0-25V, 1A

Bottom:
    Another bench power supply.
    Hi-Pot tester, goes up to 5KV AC, 7.5KV DC
    2008 300 MHz 4 channel analog and 16 channel digital MSO scope, big screen, 2 giga-samples/sec, 8 mega samples, with various protocol analyzers. It doesn't get better than this!

Bench is 4' x 8', shelves are 2' deep so can stack up the equipment and still have work space. It's U shapped, have 2 mores sides with more computers and stuff. Also have 2 more workbenches, shelves and shelves of parts, another big closet with parts and then there's the basement with more older equipment and more parts and some metal working stuff. Shop is 1500 sq feet, has a small kitchen, 3 ton heat pump.

Next shot is main computer area (have another by the workbench, and another to the right of this picture). Apple MAC with 6 screens, two of them are the 32" 2500 pixel ones. Security camera TV, right most display is also a TV. This "desk" is two 4x8 area with the corner, so equipment does not eat up depth of the desk. No front legs so you can take the chair around to any point. Building your own desks and workbenches is important since what's available commercially is just not big enough. There is room to get around to the back of the desk and the workbenches for getting at cables. No such thing as too much horse power, no such thing as too much screen area.

Yep, I'm bragging (hopefully amongst friends) and I feel better now.

Anyone else got space for their non-tractor passions they want to share?

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small_work_bench.jpg   small_computer.jpg  
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,148 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Here is some of my pictures I took today with my phone. They show two major areas in my basement, one is the woodshop, and the other is the metalshop.

Things look a little cluttered in the woodshop now, I have two projects going on-first is a entertainment center I started a long time ago, but have since lots motivation to complete-but I just bought a new Samsung 55" LED TV so my motivation is returning. The second is the build of a 24"x48" sandblast cabinet using most free acquired materials.

Highlights in the woodshop:
    -10" Grizzly table saw
    -14" Grizzly band saw
    -Large Grizzly drill press with custom table, two fences, and a X-Y vice I can put in place of the table. It also has a laser guide.
    -Dust collection cyclone system with 6" S&D pipe
    -Homebuilt router table
    -Miter saw station with extensions and dust shroud
    -Homebuilt air filtration hanging on the ceiling

Highlights in the metalshop:
    -Grizzly Mill/Drill, I hate this thing! But I get by with it for now
    -10" Clausing lathe (Under the blanket) Beter pictures in my Picasa album
    -Shelving with bins for bolts/hardware, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" is well stocked as well as plenty of screws.
    -Countertop/cabinets...I do everything there including some electronics work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0646.jpg   IMG_0647.jpg   IMG_0648.jpg   IMG_0649.jpg   IMG_0650.jpg  

IMG_0651.jpg   IMG_0652.jpg   IMG_0653.jpg   IMG_0654.jpg  
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    -Grizzly Mill/Drill, I hate this thing! But I get by with it for now
    Care to explain...I've got a JET Drill Press in my basement, but thinkin ahead, I've been eying this one to go in the future garage/shop...
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0463

I'll post pics of my current basement shop shortly...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    Pete,
    Very nice collection of test equipment, I very well remember when a simple scope needed a utility cart to move around. Most of your equipment is much better than anything I had available to use. Guess I am old school in this area I hate to say, I am ignorant of alot of the new stuff today. When I was a kid though I was very interested in electronics, got my FCC radiotelephone 1st class license in the summer before my junior year in high school.

As a hobby I would like to get back into acoustics and audio. Speaker cabinets is the how and why I got into cabinetry in the first place. I still have some JBL Pro audio, Crown electronics that I would like to pull out and play with. Some of it is still in the box (NOS). When I was younger I used to eat and breath this stuff. Now I would like to build up some cabinets for my own use, nothing for commercial interests. I would be interested in a good audio spectrum analyzer for acoustic design, and would question what that would cost today?

When I get the new shop I will be able to set up some of my cabinetry equipment and I have an unused sliding table scoring saw, two 3 hp shapers, long bed jointer, biscuit joiner, pocket hole cutter, 20" drill press and lots of other hand tools. Really am looking forward to having some organization to all of my tools.

From the looks of your setup though I know who I am going to contact when I need help.
    Steve,

4520, 110tlb, 820, X749
    Enough attachments. Why don't I realize this?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    Care to explain...I've got a JET Drill Press in my basement, but thinkin ahead, I've been eying this one to go in the future garage/shop...
    Happy to explain...

Any round column mill looses it center anytime you have to you have to raise or lower it. Say you are drilling a big hole and you start with a small bit as a pilot, then when you change the bit to a larger one it won't fit so you have to raise the head-you have just lost the center of the hole. Add to that, it's not as rigid as a dovetail column mill like the one you linked. Mine was well used when I got it and there is plenty of slop in the table slides also-AKA backlash.

The one you linked is fine since it's a dovetail unit, but I think it's pretty small-don't underestimate what you need.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Kenny, what a great setup you have! No wonder you just keep cranking out cool projects .

Steve, sounds like you can't get that new building up fast enough! I spent 2.5 years in high end audio electronics design. I loved the work but hated audiophiles. The stubbornness and inflexibility of the audiophiles blend perfectly with the insane management and the company went under.

The audio analyzer was around $7K. Without a tracking generator, it's about $1500 less. There is a price premium paid for having a stand along unit, but having the analyzer separate from the 'scope is a win. There's a whole new class of test equipment that connects to your PC via USB bus that's a cheaper way to go. If I was doing basic test equipment for audio today, I'd look at buying cheap PCs and these sorts of boxes. When you get to a point where you want to play, we can work on finding some good equipment. I've got a $12K analyzer in the basement I don't use, it's a "connect to the PC" and the software is out of date (so there is a down side to the PC approach). Also have an old HP RF spectrum analyzer and a Tektronics 96 channel logic analyzer that I don't use much since the days of looking at the address and data bus of a processor are gone. Some guys have old tractors and attachments lying around, I've got old test equipment. I guess the good news is that it takes less space to store the electronics stuff.

There's just not enough resources (a.k.a. time & money) in life...

Here's a shot of my metal working area. The only stuff I tend to do is simple chassis for electronic enclosures. The break and shear is the most used piece of equipment, then the drill press. Kenny, that's great organization you have on your stuff. I'm good on electronics parts, but not on nuts and bolts. You can also see why I'm on the edge with a welder. So close, but it would just suck time out of me I don't have...

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_metal_working.jpg  
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I would love to have that brake shear! What kind of mill is that on the right?
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Fun Story: I got all this back in 1994. The project I was working on was on a tight schedule and I had to do a "risk production" on a chassis. That means that the chassis drawings I made went right to production with no samples or prototypes! The company I was working with at the time want to stay on schedule, so I had them buy me all this stuff for about $4K or so. Chassis came in with one hole off by about .020, and another by about .025. Had a weld shop make up a jig to hold the chassis, milled 'em, project was on time (and even with this equipment, below budget - that's how you keep getting work).

When I stopped working with the company, they wanted all the equipment they sent or I bought sent back. Asked how big their shipping dock was, got ???? back, and when we talked it out they realized they had no use for this stuff and said "keep it." On time and below budget = good relationship.

Anyway, this is all from Enco. The Brake/sheer was about $600? or so, and the table was about $125 (in 1994). The milling machine is a Taiwan knock off of a Bridgeport, a part per part copy (didn't know that when I got it, didn't like it when I found out). Remember I said I used this for chassis work? That means that an end accuracy of even as bad as .005" is fine for anything I do. Making chassis, not building engines. Milling machine is probably good to a 1 mil.

The shear is good for up to .064 aluminum, and .050 steel. A combination tool (shear, brake, and round former) has the usual jack of all trade trades off. If I were buying today, I'd want a shear good for up to .090 aluminum. I have to cut that with a scroll saw and then smooth with the milling machine so it takes a lot of time. Most of my raw "stock" is leftover chassis from many projects I've done over the years.

So, for chassis work this was a great setup at great price (for the company, for me it was a fantastic price).

Pete
    Volunteer Firefighter.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Thanks
    I'm too embarrassed to post pictures of my pig sty shop.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    A clean desk is a sign of an empty mind.

Waste is the byproduct of productivity.

Pete
    Volunteer Firefighter.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast