Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Soliciting Input . . . Hauling A 200# 50gal Propane Tank

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks

Soliciting Input . . . Hauling A 200# 50gal Propane Tank

I picked up a new Worthington Cylinder Propane Tank. Fifty gallon, 200 lbs size. It weighs about 140 lbs empty and is 40" tall x 24" in diameter. Propane weighs 4 lbs per gallon, a 50 gallon tank will hold just under 50 gallons, 200 lbs for the sake of this question. So the weight of a filled tank will be just short of 350 lbs.

It seems it would be fine to haul it to a dealer in my trailer for filling . . . But will I have issues with lifting the filled tank off the trailer, which will be just a foot or so off the ground? And setting it on this pad?

My Deere is a 2013 1026R

I've been lifting 500-600# pallets of cattle feed with forks. This will be 5/16" chain to the hooks on my loader bucket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	172871_700x700.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	309305
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3552.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	309313

Marlin
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Marlin,
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as your trailer isn't too high and you can hook your chain short. Lifting height would be the biggest concern, not the weight.

Of course and on the other hand, how will you be moving the tank on the trailer to get it to the edge where you can reach it, or are you planning on driving your tractor up into the trailer, lifting the tank and then back off the trailer carrying the tank?

Maybe you can do a dry run before filling it to make sure you can find a procedure that works before filling the tank?

Another thing you might want to verify is, are the lifting lugs on the tank designed to handle the weight of the empty tank, or are they designed to handle the tank weight plus the contents!!! Big difference in weight. I know, large propane tank lifting lugs are designed for the weight of the empty tank, not when it is filled. It is pretty much assumed, the tank will be set and filled once it is in position.

BE SAFE!!
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 1 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,910 Posts
    Marlin, Do you need any kind of permit to haul this full over the road?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Marlin,
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as your trailer isn't too high and you can hook your chain short. Lifting height would be the biggest concern, not the weight.

Of course and on the other hand, how will you be moving the tank on the trailer to get it to the edge where you can reach it, or are you planning on driving your tractor up into the trailer, lifting the tank and then back off the trailer carrying the tank?

Maybe you can do a dry run before filling it to make sure you can find a procedure that works before filling the tank?

Another thing you might want to verify is, are the lifting lugs on the tank designed to handle the weight of the empty tank, or are they designed to handle the tank weight plus the contents!!! Big difference in weight. I know, large propane tank lifting lugs are designed for the weight of the empty tank, not when it is filled. It is pretty much assumed, the tank will be set and filled once it is in position.

BE SAFE!!

Thanks . . .

Trailer will be a foot or so off the ground. I suspect the lift to be close to five feet or so for the loader. I see setting the tank at the rear, strapped in the center. I'd get the trailer close to the pad, then lift and set in place . . . hmm, not sure setting the tank to the rear of the trailer in the center is a good idea.

The tongue weight would possibly be too light. Centered over the axle would be best but can I reach and lift it off? Dry run sounds like a plan. The loops welded to the tank for lifting are 1/2-5/8" steel and should carry the 350 lbs easily I suspect.

Marlin

Hmm . . . permit.
    Last edited by Marlin; 02-05-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    What would the propane company charge to come fill it? Might be worth considering......

Most everything older around here is fuel oil but anything built in the past 15 years or so has been propane. Even here in the boonies I see a propane delivery truck go by the house a couple times a week.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks
    Stan's suggestion is excellent if your local company will accommodate you. At least in these parts, the propane company will supply the tank at no cost and refill it on site. We have a 125 gallon tank.

Otherwise, Ken's Oblong RingSlings might be helpful in lifting it. I love mine.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 3 others like this.
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2007 850D Deere Gator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    What about putting the tank on a pallet and leaving it there?
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 4 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I had envisioned taking a pallet and cutting a circle in the top boards for the tank to set down into - of course reenforcing the slats adjacent to the cuts. Then crank the tank down to the pallet with ratchet straps.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    What would the propane company charge to come fill it? Might be worth considering......
    Yea that's my problem, I haven't found anyone willing to return a phone call, let alone come fill a tank. Still working it though, maybe I'll get lucky . . . All are sooo busy with their existing customers due to the cold weather we've been have since December.

Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Hey I like that. It's on a pallet now. I could take it off the pallet later after x number of gallons were used.

Delivered cost is going to be $3+/gal and I can get it at Coastal Farm for less the $2 with my military discount . . . saving me $50.

Marlin
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Yea that's my problem, I haven't found anyone willing to return a phone call, let alone come fill a tank. Still working it though, maybe I'll get lucky . . . All are sooo busy with their existing customers due to the cold weather we've been have since December.

Hey I like that. It's on a pallet now. I could take it off the pallet later after x number of gallons were used.

Delivered cost is going to be $3+/gal and I can get it at Coastal Farm for less the $2 with my military discount . . . saving me $50.

Marlin
    Is that the bulk rate? Around here a tank that size would qualify for the bulk rate.
    DRobinson, pcabe5, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast