Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Whirlpool Fridge-Freezer problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Whirlpool Fridge-Freezer problem

My Whirlpool Fridge Freezer has Whirl pooled down the drain. Suddenly the freezer will not stay cold & the Fridge is down also. I checked what I could & the only observation I could make is that the Compressor-Condenser tank (not sure what you call it-but it's the small black tank part) is short cycling for on about a minute & off for about three then back on again, etc. The cooling fan is constantly running I assume due to heat generated.

I see what appears to be a black relay & electrical connection attached to the tank. That's the part that is clicking on & off. At this point I'm thinking either a bad relay, a tank that has lost its Freon or whatever its charged with or some type of thermostat that has failed. Anyone ever have this kind of a failure. I see big bucks ahead. This darn thing is only three years old this March. Is this something I can throw some parts at & get it going or do I need the repair guy. Thanks.

pcabe5 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Check to see if the evaporator core is frozen solid. It's the cold one that feeds the inside with cold air. This will stop the flow of air inside making the food warm. Had a fridge with a similar problem. Every time I thawed it all the visible ice was melted or so I thought. After the repair guy removed the white inner liner I discovered this was not the case. The core was still plenty frozen. A wire pulled off the automatic defrost switch causing the problem. When I sold that house I was going to take the fridge with me. Low and behold it started melting my ice cream again (first sign of the problem) so I left it. lol

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Check to see if the evaporator core is frozen solid. It's the cold one that feeds the inside with cold air. This will stop the flow of air inside making the food warm. Had a fridge with a similar problem. Every time I thawed it all the visible ice was melted or so I thought. After the repair guy removed the white inner liner I discovered this was not the case. The core was still plenty frozen. A wire pulled off the automatic defrost switch causing the problem. When I sold that house I was going to take the fridge with me. Low and behold it started melting my ice cream again (first sign of the problem) so I left it. lol
    Thank you. I will check as much of that line as I can. What gets to me is that the manual for the unit has like zero info in the trouble shooting section. And I also went to Whirlpool on line & had a chat with them but all they offered me was a couple of repair services. I really can't get down on Whirlpool. I've had there stuff for years with no issues. This is the first blow up I have had in over twenty years of Whirlpool appliances. I guess there's a first for everything. And without the right tools & knowing where to look kind of puts me out of luck. Thanks for your advice I will give a look at that line.
    pcabe5 and Drifterbike like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    Check out this site. They have a lot of information on diagnosing appliance problems & the parts to repair them.

Appliance Repair Help, Troubleshooting, and Appliance Parts
    pcabe5, bhill, Maddog and 2 others like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisR For This Useful Post:

Maddog (02-10-2017)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Same thing happened to my lg. I assume it was the condenser that died, but in talking to repair guys they all said they generally only last 2-4 years now days due to energy efficiency ratings.
    I decided to just get anew one with 5 year extended warranty.
    pcabe5, Maddog and Drifterbike like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Thank you. I will check as much of that line as I can. What gets to me is that the manual for the unit has like zero info in the trouble shooting section. And I also went to Whirlpool on line & had a chat with them but all they offered me was a couple of repair services. I really can't get down on Whirlpool. I've had there stuff for years with no issues. This is the first blow up I have had in over twenty years of Whirlpool appliances. I guess there's a first for everything. And without the right tools & knowing where to look kind of puts me out of luck. Thanks for your advice I will give a look at that line.
    I'm not taking about a line. It's a coil with fins just like the one on the back of the refrigerator. Only smaller and inside the cabinet. You will probably have to remove the doors and all the shelves inside before you can get the big plastic tub out. It will be behind that.
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and cowboy bp like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    In the quest for energy savings, the compressors got VERY small,,,
    yes, they do use VERY little electricity,,, but, the shrinkage of components reduced the units life.

Therefore,, we now buy name-brand, small (~16 cu ft) inexpensive refrigerators.

In three households,,, this has worked out well,,,
    yea, no ice crusher,, I will live with that.

I actually measured the electricity consumption,,
    the one we have now uses $42 per year of electricity.

It replaced one that used over $200 per year of electricity,,
    payback in under 4 years.

It may be cheaper to replace,,, than fix.
    pcabe5, PaDave, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

Maddog (02-10-2017)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    In the quest for energy savings, the compressors got VERY small,,,
    yes, they do use VERY little electricity,,, but, the shrinkage of components reduced the units life.

Therefore,, we now buy name-brand, small (~16 cu ft) inexpensive refrigerators.

In three households,,, this has worked out well,,,
    yea, no ice crusher,, I will live with that.

I actually measured the electricity consumption,,
    the one we have now uses $42 per year of electricity.

It replaced one that used over $200 per year of electricity,,
    payback in under 4 years.

It may be cheaper to replace,,, than fix.
    I have been doing the same with both large and small appliances.

Our kitchen range went out a couple years ago @10 years. The only thing wrong was the circuit board. Well I don't need a circuit board to cook - so I searched high and low and finally found a range that had the dials on it instead of the push button control for the oven. $100 cheaper than the cheapest one with push button controls and I expect it to last a long time - easily replaceable parts.

Our refrigerator is getting old - when it comes time it will be replaced with a small simple one.
    pcabe5 and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Check out this site. They have a lot of information on diagnosing appliance problems & the parts to repair them.

Appliance Repair Help, Troubleshooting, and Appliance Parts
    From the link you gave I was able to figure out my problem. I have a bad run capacitor at the compressor. Part is not too expensive but I have called in the local repair man because as usual, it's an emergency repair on a freezer unit & the wife is going nuts over it because she has a birthday party scheduled tomorrow for our daughter. But at least I know what the problem is. Now I will see if I have an honest repairman!! Thanks.
    pcabe5, ChrisR, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I have a bad run capacitor at the compressor.
    I had that happen on the AC unit last summer in the middle of a heat wave on a Sunday. The capacitor was about the size of a soda can and cost only $10. I figure the emergency call from a repairman would have run north of $100. Hardest thing was finding a distributor that would sell to a non-HVAC person. Had to drive about an hour one way to get it, then i ordered one online to have as a spare.

Popped it in and back to making cool air in the 90+ temps....i was a hero for the moment....it didn't last long but i enjoyed it while it did!
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast