Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Lucas hydraulic system Stop Leak

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks

Lucas hydraulic system Stop Leak

I've been fighting a mid PTO shaft oil leak for months on my 855 tractor. For numerous reason, I have not yet been able to make the required seal repairs. Without going into all the details, I just want to pass on to other members my recent experience with Lucas Hydraulic Stop Leak & System Booster. This is in no way an endorsement of the product or a suggestion that you use this product in your tractor's hydraulic system. This is simply a statement on my own experience.

I have a badly worn oil seal at the mid mount PTO shaft. I would lose about two gallons of hydraulic oil leaking out at the shaft after running the mid mount 72" mower over about 2-2 1/2 acres of grass & weeds. I saw a bottle of Lucas Oil additive for gas engines. I got interested in the product & went to their website (just google Lucas oil) to look at the product. On the site I found they offered a Hydraulic System Stop Leak for worn seals & leaky systems. I decided to try the product to see if it would reduce the size of the leak & Low Vis oil loss.

I bought a gallon of the Lucas & it was expensive. Paid $33. & change with the tax. Got it home & opened up the bottle & really got cold feet over using it. The stuff is dyed red & it is really really thick like Molasses. Compared to the Low Vis hydraulic oil that's in the system, it makes you think about what will this heavy stuff do in the system. Then I also questioned why am I shelling out $33. for a gallon of this stuff when Deere Low Vis oil here is $18 a gallon. Anyway I decided to put it in. On the first try, I put in a full gallon of the stuff & then toped off the oil level with about a half gallon of Low Vis to bring the level up to full on the dipstick.

Went out & cut 2.5 acres of weeds about a foot tall & thick. Got done with no issues from the use of the Lucas. Parked the tractor & kept an eye on the leak. Noticed that I still had the leak but it was now leaking slower & less oil loss. So I waited & watched over several days. Then I decided to try again with Lucas. I installed another gallon of the stuff & again toped off the system with Low Vis oil. Went out and mowed the same 2.5 acres, parked the tractor & the leak has fully stopped for now. I don't know if the leak will return, but right now it's gone. I AM not suggesting that using Lucas Oil will be a good thing long term. There is no magic substitute that can replace a full mechanical repair.

The Lucas product, for now is helping me until I can get to the repair. Based on my experience, the product takes some time to work its way into the seal & swell it up to stop the leak. Also the 855 holds 5 gallons of Low Vis oil. It took me two gallons of the Lucas installed to stop the leak. Also I have no way of determining if the Lucas changed the viscosity of the Low Vis oil, however examination by feel of the oil & visual examination it appears not to have changed the Low Vis BASED ON THE TWO GALLONS OF LUCAS I INSTALLED.

If MY oil seal had a tear in it, I doubt that Lucas or any additive would have worked. So what I believe I have is a badly worn oil seal at the PTO shaft. Keep in mind that using Lucas is just a temporary treatment AND NOT a repair. But sometimes a Band Aid can save the day.

A word of caution- I had a difficult time locating the product in my area. You will not find this stuff at your local Wal-Mart or Auto Parts store for the most part. This product is specifically labeled for use in HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS. Do not use the Lucas stop leak that is designed for gas engines. The Lucas I used is For hydraulic systems. I finally found it at a large NAPA Store & machine shop about 12 miles from my house. If you can't find the stuff, contact Lucas for dealer help. Maybe you can order it direct from them?

For now-its working & I'm not having any issues in my transaxle beyond the leak. So I guess the Lucas is safe to use & while really thick it appears to mix well with Deere Low Vis. However I don't know how much Lucas you can put into the system safely. I suppose you could call Lucas and ask if you have questions on how much you can safely use. Lastly, I'm just stating my experience with the product, which so far has been positive.

Maddog
    Tomfive, keane and 89420 like this.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

Moon Dog (07-12-2017), Tomfive (07-13-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,971 Times in 2,150 Posts
    What tractor?

Oh..I see - buried in the text - 855. Does the 855 have a hydro trans?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Used some of the power steering stop leak in an 02 Subaru with a noisy steering rack. It would moan when turning to the left. Especially when cold. Didn't use the whole small bottle.

Tried the fuel system cleaner in my 01 Wrangler. Immediately it got hard to start especially when cold. After multiple tanks of gas things got back to normal. When I bought the Lucas it was buy one get one free. After starring at the bottle on my shelf for months I stupidly installed it. Went right back to hard starting. Same as last time.

So I guess you win some and you lose some. lol
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

I have never had good luck with Lucas products, mainly the fuel additive after a few tankfuls will cause Ford O2 sensors to report lean to the ECU which will then attempt to trim the mixture but run out of range then turn on the check engine light.

As far as leaky seals, I would just suck it up and fix the seal. "Stop leak" additives are really "Seal swellers" and will affect every seal and o-ring in whatever they are placed in, potentially causing other issues that you didn't have before.

The old timers used a number of "additives" to stop leaks in seals, brake fluid and Lestoil being the most popular. Of course, these were the people that would also get to repair the engine/trans after it stopped working from the "additive". These same people most likely invented the Popsicle stick clutch disk repair and the "pack the differential with grease repair" for used car dealers.
    Last edited by tomd999; 07-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    johnH123 and Firemark like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 06:50 AM
    Thanks
    A tractor mechanic friend swears by "Blue Devil" products. Apparently this company offers a range of stop-leak products. I've never tried any of these, just passing this info along.
    Tomfive likes this.
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550 | 1960 Ford 841 Powermaster
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45 | 1954 Ferguson TO-30
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2008 850D Deere Gator

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rod330 For This Useful Post:

Maddog (07-12-2017)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

I have never had good luck with Lucas products, mainly the fuel additive after a few tankfuls will cause Ford O2 sensors to report lean to the ECU which will then attempt to trim the mixture but run out of range then turn on the check engine light.

As far as leaky seals, I would just suck it up and fix the seal. "Stop leak" additives are really "Seal swellers" and will affect every seal and o-ring in whatever they are placed in, potentially causing other issues that you didn't have before.

The old timers used a number of "additives" to stop leaks in seals, brake fluid and Lestoil being the most popular. Of course, these were the people that would also get to repair the engine/trans after it stopped working from the "additive". These same people most likely invented the Popsicle stick clutch disk repair and the "pack the differential with grease repair" for used car dealers.
    Hi- Now I'm not trying to start a war here, but after reading your post, I felt I have to clarify a couple of points with you.
    First I do not have any long time experience with Lucas products & I can only comment on the one & only product I used Lucas Hydraulic system stop leak. In my OP I clearly stated that I was not endorsing any product or suggesting that the product was a permanent fix over a mechanical repair. Read my post on this. Yes, stop leak products work by swelling the seal. Do they do harm to good seals or other components? I really don't know if they do. Is there data or proof of that with the product I used? As I stated in my OP I am unable to get down to making the mechanical repair needed. The stop leak is an interim measure. Its like wrapping your cut arm in a bath towel so you don't bleed out on the way to the O.R.

As far as "sucking it up" I did that at the same time Deere was Sucking out $36+ tax for two gallons of Low Vis every time I cut two acres of weeds. My equipment is well maintained & not abused. But right now I am in a situation with projects & time constraints that simply don't allow me to get to the needed mechanical repair. As far as the people who invented the stop leak being the same people who invented the "Popsicle stick clutch repair & "pack the differential with grease repair", both of which I have never herd of before, I think that's a little over the top & very cynical. But maybe you have had some bad experiences with products of this nature & they failed. Maybe the application was wrong. All I am doing is just passing on my experience so far with my particular situation. Your situation & results may be different. As they say in the legal commercials "every case is different" your results may not be the same. Thanks for allowing me to clarify my original post.

keefus, WifeSaidOK and ky_shawn like this.

11. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,127 Times in 2,507 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    ...for two gallons of Low Vis every time I cut two acres of weeds.
    No amount of any leak stop additive can fix a two gallon leak in the amount of time it takes to mow two acres (two hours maybe?). That's a heavy leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Hi- Now I'm not trying to start a war here, but after reading your post, I felt I have to clarify a couple of points with you.... I think that's a little over the top & very cynical.
    I didn't see Tom's post in any way cynical. I found it helpful and insightful really. I am familiar with the repairs he's talking about and can relate. He was trying to help you.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Id be carefull with adding anything that is not the proper oil. Changing the seal after this removes the,"band aide" on the seal but not the remnants of it thru out the system when your done with the seal repair. I would check next what the,"post op" is. There might be a means of flushing things after you replace the seal. Hopefully when you get to it, it will be smooth sailing. At this point it's done, so now you have to figure out how to get, "gorilla glue" out of the hydro jacket.
    Gizmo2 and Tomfive like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Firemark For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-13-2017)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    04-21-2019 @ 02:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    Id be carefull with adding anything that is not the proper oil. Changing the seal after this removes the,"band aide" on the seal but not the remnants of it thru out the system when your done with the seal repair. I would check next what the,"post op" is. There might be a means of flushing things after you replace the seal. Hopefully when you get to it, it will be smooth sailing. At this point it's done, so now you have to figure out how to get, "gorilla glue" out of the hydro jacket.
    I agree. My Manual says to never mix Low-vis with Hi-vis.

Plus where is all that leaked oil going? You have a water well?
    Last edited by Bulitt; 07-13-2017 at 06:41 AM.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    02-26-2019 @ 04:31 PM
    Thanks
    if it works for you great but how much is a new seal and how hard is it to replace? cant be that hard. just keep in mind a damaged or worn seal can and will cut a groove on the shaft.. so if its damaging the shaft a new seal wont help you will need a new shaft and seal + fluid. just something to keep in mind.

so all the fluid you have lost and the 70$ in lucas since the leak started you probally could have done the seal job 10x over. as you know fluid is big coin and thats if your lucky and the shaft is ok. their pretty hard shafts so small chance its grooved but why chance it..

if you dont have time to fix it in all this time thats an excuse. you make your own time..and if you got time to run around buying and finding fluid you could have replaced the seal already. maybe its time for a brand new tractor.if you dont have time for repairs ect on a old one.

good luck
    Last edited by 89420; 07-13-2017 at 06:39 AM.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold