• 2 Post By BrotherJoe

Thread: Loader line replacements

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2018 @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks

Loader line replacements

Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum and hydraulics.. I've got a 3020 with a 48 loader that had a couple of bad hydraulic lines (flex lines on each end of the tubing that runs from the bucket tilt control valve down). I have them removed and they're at a local shop being re-made.

i've never had to do this, so I want to verify a couple of things.

Both lines need to have threads cleaned and prepped with liquid thread-sealer, correct?
    Once both lines are on, do I need to bleed the system? Basically the line with a 90 off the control valve and then the line from the tubing to the bottom of the bucket ram, so, when I replace the lines, there will be that whole length that could have air in it.

I did find a procedure for bleeding where you turn the wheels to the right, bleed and then repeat until the air is all out; I think that requires removing the cowl.

Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that I should know?

I expect I'll be replacing all the flex lines in the coming months. The one on the ram appears to have been seeping for a while; but the one up by the control valve was actively dribbling after some work with the loader this past weekend.

Thanks,

BJ
    rtgt likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks
    I had to replace a line on the loader of my 4066R last summer that blew out. I never did any of the things you mentioned. I just went to O'Reillys and had them make me a new line like the one I took with me. Put it on and went back to work. The air will work it's way out of the cylinders as you use the loader.

Dave
    rtgt likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

Had to replace a line on the BH , had a new line made at local hyd shop put the line on started the tractor checked for leaks , done.
    rtgt likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Welcome to GTT,
    The system is self bleeding, and whether or not you need sealant depends on the fitting type, only NPT "pipe threads" technically needs it, and they were rarely used on JD tractors.
    rtgt, Ray_PA, keane and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. It wasn't clear to me that I had to do anything special.. other than replace the lines and move on. I just put 'em on and all is well

I suspect I'll be replacing all of these lines sooner rather than later. I probably should have pulled them all to save me the trouble when winter hits.

BJ
    rtgt, BigJim55 and 69project like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    Agree with others. Hydraulics that are connected to cylinders or motors are self bleeding. Essentially this means, after replacing a line or rebuilding a cylinder, if you cycle the cylinder several times, the air will purge through the system.
    So, to say these systems are "self bleeding" is accurate if you cycle the cylinder several times to purge the air through the system.
    rtgt and keane like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Agree with others. Hydraulics that are connected to cylinders or motors are self bleeding. Essentially this means, after replacing a line or rebuilding a cylinder, if you cycle the cylinder several times, the air will purge through the system.
    So, to say these systems are "self bleeding" is accurate if you cycle the cylinder several times to purge the air through the system.

Thanks folks. Had it out today and after some hesitation a few cycles of the loader and all was well. Nice to hot have all that oil dribbling around, heh.

BJ
    Kennyd and Ray_PA like this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements