Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hydraulic fluid leak and Blue Devil

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

Hydraulic fluid leak and Blue Devil

My 1025R developed a small hydraulic fluid leak at about 30 hours. By small leak I refer to a spot on the concrete under the rear axle about the size of a quarter overnight. Sometimes there was no leak for a few days, and then another spot would appear. I cleaned the underside of the tractor but couldn't find a specific leak location. I changed the filter, screen and fluid. I used JD a JD brand filter and Hy-Gard fluid. The screen was remarkably clean. The intermittent leak continued, though. The longest without a drop under the tracor was a couple of nights.

I came across several threads and posts recommending a Blue Devil brand product.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluedevil.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	475570

I added 16 oz to the tractor, and within a day the leak had stopped, and has not come back. That was about 20 hours ago. SO, here's my question.

My next scheduled (JD recommended) hydraulic fluid change is in about another 55 hours. Should I do the fluid change early to remove the stop leak stuff now that the leak appears to be sealed? Or should I just leave it as is and wait to do the service?
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Where is it leaking from?

I’m not typically a fan of “mechanic in a bottle” type fixes, I would rather get to the root cause.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DRobinson, Ray_PA and coaltrain like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemoore98 View Post

I’m not typically a fan of “mechanic in a bottle” type fixes, I would rather get to the root cause.

Jason

I agree - especially because of the fact of the intricacy of the transmission which shares the hydraulic fluid with the rest of the system.
    DRobinson and Ray_PA like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    I shamefully admit trying sealube once on a steering cylinder. It worked almost instantly and for a while but while i was out of town an axle seal let go sitting in the garage and all at once i had a quart or 2 of hydro on the floor. I drained the fluid until i could change the seals and refilled with new following seal replacement. Almost instantly, the original steering cylinder started leaking again. Ill let you decide what level of coincidence to apply to all this. I replaced the steering cylinder (took awhile for that to grow back) and all is well.

Would i use it again? Not unless it was an absolute emergency.
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and Ray_PA like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Isn't your tractor under warranty, Doc?
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemoore98 View Post

Jason

As I said in my post, I cleaned all the grime on the underside of the tractor, and searched several times for a source of the leak. And I was not able to find any specific point with hydraulic fluid coming from it. Had I found the source and location of the leak, I would have addressed the specific problem.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I agree - especially because of the fact of the intricacy of the transmission which shares the hydraulic fluid with the rest of the system.
    Thant's for responding, but that was not my question.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozsey View Post
    I shamefully admit trying sealube once on a steering cylinder. It worked almost instantly and for a while but while i was out of town an axle seal let go sitting in the garage and all at once i had a quart or 2 of hydro on the floor. I drained the fluid until i could change the seals and refilled with new following seal replacement. Almost instantly, the original steering cylinder started leaking again. Ill let you decide what level of coincidence to apply to all this. I replaced the steering cylinder (took awhile for that to grow back) and all is well.

Would i use it again? Not unless it was an absolute emergency.
    Interesting story, but does anyone have an answer to my posted question?
    BigJim55 and wildbranch2007 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,084 Posts
    I would change it early.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (10-24-2017)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    Isn't your tractor under warranty, Doc?
    Yes, it is, but I can't just let it sit at the dealer until it finally gets serviced. That's why I've done all the maintenance so far myself, even buying and installing parts that I know would be covered by warranty. Besides, my local dealer's shop doesn't have a great reputation, and if I do it myself at least I know it's done correctly. And the few parts I've needed so far haven't been terribly expensive. That's why I really like GTT as a source of information.
    BigJim55 and em14 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast