• 3 Post By 69project

Thread: No lift after fluid change - 2013 2025r

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks

No lift after fluid change - 2013 2025r

A request for advice from the GTT braintrust:

So I wanted to change the hydraulic fluid on my tractor. It has 310 hours on it now, and according to records that came with it, the first change was done by the prior owner at 63 hours. The machine appears to have been well maintained and everything worked as it should - until now, that is. I felt pretty confident that I could handle the task with no problem since I'd done it before on my former x485 and scoped the procedure out a bit in forums here. I went to my dealership and told the parts guy I needed the supplies to change the hydraulic fluid in my 2025r. He set me up with low-vis deere fluid and a new suction screen. Thinking he knew what I needed better than I did, I walked out without a canister filter or the red dye for the fluid. My first mistake...
    Everything seemed to go smoothly getting the old fluid out and the new screen in. There were very few metal shavings inside so I was happy about that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shavings.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	497202
    It was probably 15 minutes that I let it drain before putting things back together and refilling. After over-filling it by about two quarts since it takes FOREVER for the sight glass to register the level of fluid (even after reading about the problems turtle had with his ) I siphoned it off to get to the correct level of new fluid.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refilled.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	497210
    Thinking I'm good to go, I fired it up and all seemed normal until I went to operate the loader and 3-pt. No worky, worky!!! Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Ran it at idle for 10 minutes and the sight glass sloooowwwwllly filled up while it was idling. Still no lift front or back. Did not try the steering or PTO. Honestly I was a bit worried about doing damage while running it with no fluid pressure.
    After reading more about it online and re-reading the manual (where I discovered the missing canister filter) I'm at a loss for what might be the problem. Today I went and got the canister filter that I should have gotten at first, and I guess I'll keep the suction screen that I didn't need to get, and tonight I'll drain it all again and start over. While it was at the dealer I told the service manager this whole story, and he said to double check that I didn't put the suction screen in backwards so I'll do that while I'm at it tonight. Other than that, I'm clueless. I'll be much obliged for any advice you all can provide on what might be the problem, and if there is any more info you need just let me know.
    DRobinson, pcabe5, Tomfive and 3 others like this.
    '13 2025r, 62" MMM, H130, 54" snow blade, Rim-guard in rear, R4s
    '04 x485SE 600 hours, MC519, (traded-in)
    140 pending restoration

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 2,415 Posts
    On the 1-series, operating the PTO seems to get everything going again and help purge the air out, I'd suggest trying that.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,823 Posts
    Are you certain you got the screen in the right way? Not really sure if it will go together if the screen is in backwards but it may.

Why did you buy a new screen?
    Did you reinstall the magnets in the new screen?
    Did you install a new O-Ring on the screen cover? Just curious here.

Edit:
    Oil level should be check with engine off for at least an hour.
    Oil level will normally show fuller when tractor is running and especially when the oil is hot.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 11-27-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    DRobinson, pcabe5, Tomfive and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks

Feeling pretty dumb right now

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Are you certain you got the screen in the right way? Not really sure if it will go together if the screen is in backwards but it may.

Why did you buy a new screen?
    Did you reinstall the magnets in the new screen?
    Did you install a new O-Ring on the screen cover? Just curious here.

Edit:
    Oil level should be check with engine off for at least an hour.
    Oil level will normally show fuller when tractor is running and especially when the oil is hot.
    Well for anyone who ever wondered if the the suction screen will go in the wrong way (probably no one) I can now confirm for you that, YES, it will go in the wrong way. Unfortunately I had proof of this in my garage...

Last night I got it all taken apart and drained again. When I pulled the cover on the suction screen the culprit was revealed. The rubber fitting was staring at me instead of lining up with the port on the pump inside.

Put it all back together, with the canister filter this time, and the suction screen in the correct way, and we are back in business.

To answer your questions:
    1. I bought a suction screen per the parts guy's recommendation. Bad info I now know. He's the same guy that didn't sell me the spin-on canister filter either. But hey, he got me the right fluid! I should have double checked what I was buying.
    2. The new screen had magnets with it and I did install them spread around inside the screen.
    3. No new O-ring. I didn't have one last night and the existing one looked to be like new. Hope I don't regret this...

Lessons learned:
    1. Don't just tell a parts guy what I plan to do and assume he'll get the right materials. Always know what I need and be specific with my order.
    2. Remember this tractor is a bit more complicated than my x-series was (I miss the maintenance kits that I always got). So, to quote a famous horseman, "take the time it takes, so it'll take less time". Doing it right the first time would have been much faster.
    3. A $5 siphon tube is a great investment.

In the end my mistake cost me a gallon of fluid and a suction screen I didn't need, an extra day of down time on my machine, plus a bit of embarrassment. Still better than the $250 that the dealer quoted for doing the job for me.

Carry on, Gents, and may your lawns be green and your driveways clean!
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 11 others like this.
    '13 2025r, 62" MMM, H130, 54" snow blade, Rim-guard in rear, R4s
    '04 x485SE 600 hours, MC519, (traded-in)
    140 pending restoration

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to paulthebanker For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (11-28-2017), 69project (11-30-2017), Gizmo2 (11-29-2017), jgayman (11-28-2017), keane (11-29-2017), Kennyd (11-28-2017), Marlin (11-28-2017)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Not an embarrassment as much as a lesson learned that will eventually help someone else.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 3 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

paulthebanker (11-28-2017)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthebanker View Post
    1. Don't just tell a parts guy what I plan to do and assume he'll get the right materials. Always know what I need and be specific with my order.
    This is the excellent advice that applies to everything, not just tractors.

Thank you for following up and letting us know what the resolution was.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Glad things worked out for you. This happens to everybody sometime in life.
    Gizmo2, paulthebanker and Yank like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

12. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthebanker View Post
    Well for anyone who ever wondered if the the suction screen will go in the wrong way (probably no one) I can now confirm for you that, YES, it will go in the wrong way. Unfortunately I had proof of this in my garage...
    Thanks for the followup.
    BigJim55, paulthebanker and Yank like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Don't sweat it, it happens. If it was your first time doing that particular task and you are doing it without someone to teach you or having a very clear and concise manual then you have to expect to do some re-work. I can't even begin to fathom the amount of times I have installed parts in wrong the first time I do a task, even after looking at a manual. Sometimes you just have to do stuff a couple of times before you get the hang of it. That's just a part of life. I am happy you shared this though so maybe someone else may be able to learn from your experience.
    Gizmo2, paulthebanker and Yank like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements