Can 1025R power hydraulic cylinder on 2 ton capacity dump wagon???
Like Tree19Likes
  • 3 Post By Jeff B
  • 4 Post By Herminator
  • 5 Post By JimR
  • 2 Post By jermedic
  • 5 Post By Tractor Tim

Thread: Can 1025R power hydraulic cylinder on 2 ton capacity dump wagon???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks

Can 1025R power hydraulic cylinder on 2 ton capacity dump wagon???

Hi all, I'm looking at the Country Manufacturing (CMI) model 8300 2 ton capacity dump wagon. It has a spot to mount a 2-4" bore hydraulic cylinder for the dump, the stroke is 24" .

I'm curious if a T off from my 1025R artillian diverter will supply enough hydraulic flow and pressure to offer full dump on this 4 ft x 8 ft dump wagon with 2 ton capacity. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    I haven't actually done this myself but I'm thinking it would easily handle that. At 1000 psi you would need around a 2.5 diameter cylinder to dead lift 4000 lbs with fluid entering the end of the cylinder with the rod in it, and around 4800 lbs on the other end.Providing the rod diameter was around 1 inch.

I would suspect the diverter was capable of supplying the limited flow capacity of the 1 series hydraulic pump. One consideration would be reservoir capacity. You would need to know how much force was needed to dump a max load and pick the smallest diameter cylinder that would provide it at system pressure for the fastest cycle time and least fluid exhaustion.

I don't know with these dumps if you have mechanical advantage or disadvantage where they mount the cylinders. The cylinder I mentioned above would be capable of dead lifting two tons. It may be overkill...
    Robnik, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    That is a tough question.

1st guess with a 4”cylinder yes. Someone else can confirm but I think that tractor has 2500psi. Flow is not a big concern as it would just affect speed of dumping. You would need to contact them to see what diameter cylinder they have used to do this and the pressure. It all depends on where at at what angle the cylinder is mounted as well as where the load is on the trailer. A cylinder has very little push when the trailer is down because it is trying to push towards the back until it reaches 45 degrees where it starts having real pushing up power.

Should you try this. Probably not. On my 14K dump as it goes up and is pivoting off the back it will start to pick up the hitch on my F-250SD. I do not stand in between the trailer and truck because if it is slippery between the picking up force and the load hitting the ground and wanting to slide out I have had the truck slide forward a couple times. Maybe only a foot or so but if it reaches me before that 1’ I wont stop it.

On a small tractor I would worry about it really picking it up off the ground and nothing good is going to happen then. The wagon might be a better choice as it eliminates this.

I see Mr. JEFF was posting at the same time. His points are good, use a double acting cylinder and then the diameter becomes irrelevant as fluid is returned as it is going in the other end of the cylinder. Bigger diameter will be slower though.

Google. hydraulic cylinder mounting angle calculation
    There is a lot of good information describing how the starting angle of the cylinder affects lift.
    Last edited by Herminator; 01-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Levi, Robnik, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking at the Country Manufacturing (CMI) model 8300 2 ton capacity dump wagon. It has a spot to mount a 2-4" bore hydraulic cylinder for the dump, the stroke is 24" .

I'm curious if a T off from my 1025R artillian diverter will supply enough hydraulic flow and pressure to offer full dump on this 4 ft x 8 ft dump wagon with 2 ton capacity. ???

Of course it will. The more important question is "Will it provide enough flow to lift it in a reasonable amount of time?". I think you'll find that you need at least 1.5 GPM at a minimum to operate the trailer. Anything less than that and it will be painfully slow. I'm not sure what the flow rate is through the diverter on a 1025R.

You also need to figure out if that wagon weighs enough to allow it to drop back down just on gravity or if you'll need to use a double acting cylinder.

You'll also need to verify that the cylinder itself is compatible with the hydro fluid in your tractor. The cylinder on mine was very specific that it was only to be used with DEXRON II fluid. No DEXRON III, no Hyguard, no generic hydro fluids...
    Last edited by JimR; 01-10-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    jgayman, Levi, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Of course it will. The more important question is "Will it provide enough flow to lift it in a reasonable amount of time?". I think you'll find that you need at least 1.5 GPM at a minimum to operate the trailer. Anything less than that and it will be painfully slow. I'm not sure what the flow rate is through the diverter on a 1025R.

You also need to figure out if that wagon weighs enough to allow it to drop back down just on gravity or if you'll need to use a double acting cylinder.

You'll also need to verify that the cylinder itself is compatible with the hydro fluid in your tractor. The cylinder on mine was very specific that it was only to be used with DEXRON II fluid. No DEXRON III, no Hyguard, no generic hydro fluids...
    Interesting. Maybe I would be better off getting an electrical hydraulic cylinder and not using the tractor's hydraulic.
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    I think you will be very happy with using a 2 or 2.5" cylinder to lift your wagon. I've been trying to convince Levi to do this since he got his wagon.

If you are wondering about flow and cylinder speed, just use the loader (and or backhoe) as an example. In my opinion, you will want the wagon to dump MUCH more slowly than these functions.
    So, you should be fine.

Tim
    Kennyd, Valley Boy, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements