Need some advice before spending money. Adding more SCVs to a 4200

Thread: Need some advice before spending money. Adding more SCVs to a 4200

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks

Need some advice before spending money. Adding more SCVs to a 4200

As noted in the signature block, I have a 4200. It has a factory installed 3-spool valve. Two spools are controlled by the loader joy stick; the third is controlled by a lever on the right fender. The 3rd spool is plumbed to the rear of the tractor with hard lines. It is normally connected to my MMM lift. I also have the JD power beyond kit which essentially provides a place to install another "device" (backhoe valve for example) between the loader valve and the rock shaft valve AND a connector for the "return to sump line." Finally, I also have a bracket with quick connectors on my loader mount for the "3rd function" along with a pair of hoses neatly routed under the tractor so I can connect to the rear 3rd function connectors.

I'd like to have at least one more SCV but need some advice before dropping a lot of money. To be clear, I don't NEED another valve, but it would be nice AND I love having projects to do.

JD did make a 4th/5th function kit and from time to time, they show up on eBay. The last one I saw was $800. It has all the brackets and connectors to add the SCVs to the rear and two more levers on the fender. It "hide's the valve near the rear tire and results in a pretty tight fit. Over all, the pics I've see show it to be a neat install but not a lot of room left.

Question: I'm considering buying Prince stack valve with at least on eSCV work section. Would it be better to try to "hide it down" near where the JD kit places the valve or would it be better to install it up on the roller like others do? It will definitely be a tight fit down near the rear housing but it will be out of the way. The advantage I see to the roll bar option is I could add other manual work sections and easily reach the levers from the seat. (The cost of a manual work section is about ⅓ the cost of the electric one.) I'm pretty sure I can do this for less than $800 and the eSCV would give the option of a joystick mounted switch.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks
    I would do the ROPS mount (even though I doubt you would want to add more valve sections) I do like the factory lever set up with the kit, but not the valve placement.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

JAllen (02-03-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    If your considering a stack (or any other really) valve-then ROPS mounting is the way to go, mounting in the fender and fabricating linkages and handles is just not worth the effort-especially in that tight place.

OTOH, If you can snag a complete OEM 4th/5th kit for $800, then I would consider that a bargain.

One other option, is to "split" your 3rd with a electric diverter.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

JAllen (02-03-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements