Compression 'T''s in hydraulic lines?

Thread: Compression 'T''s in hydraulic lines?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks

Compression 'T''s in hydraulic lines?

Since the newly revised 3rd SCV kit (# BLV10764) for my 4044R now comes with both the mid-mount and rear mount 3/8" hard lines, I am thinking about ways to 'T' them together so I can have joystick operated (via the push button control on the joystick) remotes at both locations.

I have found T's that I believe are compatible with the 3rd SCV valve body which uses a O-ring to seal at the valve body (where either the mid or rear hard lines attach), but these T's have compression fittings for the hard lines 47716 - Compression Tube Fitting to Adj. ORB to Compression Tube Fitting Tee | Hydraulics Direct I am just unsure if these will work and seal correctly with the JD steel hard lines.

These would only see pressure when the push button control is activated (or if the continuous flow switch is turned on??? - for a hydraulic motor or something?). I would have QD's on both sets of lines, of course. And yes, I would only ever have one set of lines attached to something at a time.

Does any of this makes sense? Not sure why JD did not plumb the new 3rd SCV kit this way from the beginning?
    Last edited by stevepsd; 02-12-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    2017 4044R Open Station, eHydro, iMatch, H180 MSL loader & R4's.
    Power Beyond (BLV10969), 3rd EH SCV (BLV10764),
    John Deere 485A Backhoe with HD 18" Bucket & mechanical thumb,
    Frontier AP12F 48" Pallet Forks, BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072 Rotary Cutter,
    PHD200 Post Hole Digger w/12" Auger, Titan Ballast Box, FIMCO 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Very interesting Steve, I did not know they made that made that change-I just read the install instructions you sent. I agrre they (JD) where very short sighted in not having a way to Tee these together.

I have no personal knowledge of the compression fittings, but I'd think they'd work great IF you can get the lines to all line up-which I think will be the issue with this idea. Also you'll have to consider the room near the valve body...do you have anything installed yet?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Very interesting Steve, I did not know they made that made that change-I just read the install instructions you sent. I agree they (JD) where very short sighted in not having a way to Tee these together.

I have no personal knowledge of the compression fittings, but I'd think they'd work great IF you can get the lines to all line up-which I think will be the issue with this idea. Also you'll have to consider the room near the valve body...do you have anything installed yet?
    Nothing installed yet, as I have to have the tractor ready to off-load my 485A Backhoe which should be arriving any day now. Then I will start to take the tractor apart.

I should have plenty of room in front of the SCV as this is where either the mid or rear 3rd SCV hard lines run. It looks like about 4" of clearance from the SCV to the cover plate on the inner fender on my 4-series. My plan is to use 1/2" O-ring boss 'T' fittings that screws right into the SCV valve body and install them slightly clocked (say at the 1 o'clock position) to allow both fittings to sit next to each other (the ports on the SCV are inline with each other and would interfere with each other if the were installed straight up & down) as you can see in the pic below (the T's go where the 2 screw on caps are now).

Both sets of lines have a straight section before they bend into the SCV. Plan is to cut the bends out of both mid & rear hard lines (the mid hard lines come up into the SCV from the bottom, and the rear mount hard lines come down from the top) and hopefully be close. I will know more when I remove the rear tire & fender and mock things up beforehand.

I should have quite a bit of horizontal run on the hard lines that should or *might* be more easily manipulated to allow the lines to be adjust to fit into the T's on the SCV. This is my main concern. Not sure how easily these lines give, if at all. The certainly feel stout and I know my normal brake line tubing bender would not work on them. Anyone know how to go about bending these hardlines?

I am assuming that the hard lines are SAE and not metric. I miked them at around .508" - of course they are painted, so I am assuming these are .500" hard lines. Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180203_084659.jpg  

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-18-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure, but you might not be able to spin both ORB tee's on without interference. You may need to extend one out to gain some space and then get creative for fittings. If the line ends are going to be JIC, there will be some options. Maybe one port is straight ORB to MIP and then a FIP x JIC tee. I use Discounthydraulichose.co (online) for their fitting selection and price.

SAE Straight Thread O-Ring (ORB) Hydraulic Fittings
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    Not sure, but you might not be able to spin both ORB tee's on without interference. You may need to extend one out to gain some space and then get creative for fittings. If the line ends are going to be JIC, there will be some options. Maybe one port is straight ORB to MIP and then a FIP x JIC tee. I use Discounthydraulichose.co (online) for their fitting selection and price.

SAE Straight Thread O-Ring (ORB) Hydraulic Fittings
    I am not sure as it depends on how large the fittings are, but I will have to think of a solution. After researching the compression fittings (good for 6000-10000psi) I would probably find a solution using them as it will make the install a bit easier (maybe).

Maybe use a male/female ORB fitting http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ORB-...der-p/6410.htm to extend the T out a bit.

Thanks!
    Last edited by stevepsd; 02-12-2018 at 07:33 PM.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    The only steel compression fittings I can recommend for hydraulics that suffer vibration are Parker Ferulok.
    They require a setting tool you use to torque a hardened ferrule into a position of "bite" on the steel tube. Then you assemble as normal.
    The ferrules will not bite properly if you just assemble as you would with say brass fittings to copper tubes where the ferrules would easily deform onto the tube.

There may be others, these are the ones I have had 100% success with.

http://www.hufco.com/images/products...pe-catalog.pdf
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    When I added the third valve to the mid valve (loader valve) of my 6415, I also "T"ed lines to the back. The mid valve kit came with hoses to the quick couplers of the loader, so I used hoses to the rear and made a mount for the quick couplers. I also put hydraulic rated ball valves at the rear quick couplers so I could leave something connected at the rear, but not have it operate if I wanted to use the third function on the loader.

So consider using hoses to either or both points on your tractor.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    When I added the third valve to the mid valve (loader valve) of my 6415, I also "T"ed lines to the back. The mid valve kit came with hoses to the quick couplers of the loader, so I used hoses to the rear and made a mount for the quick couplers. I also put hydraulic rated ball valves at the rear quick couplers so I could leave something connected at the rear, but not have it operate if I wanted to use the third function on the loader.

So consider using hoses to either or both points on your tractor.
    That is a interesting idea. If it turns out to be a real issue getting the rear hardlines to line up, I could always use a short hose between the 3rd SCV and the rear hardlines, or run hose all the way to the rear QD's.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements