Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hydraulic Attachment issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-05-2018 @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks

Hydraulic Attachment issue

I haven’t been on in a while and I apologize for only using the forum for advice, but sometimes it’s the best way to here from someone who knows.
    I have a 5065e, I recently got a good deal on a root grapple. I didn’t have a third valve so I routed a set of lines to the rear and it works perfect. My question is when hooking to grapple hoses to the quick connects I put up front, one of the lines coming off the grapple is extremely difficult to attach. I’m assuming it’s because it’s under pressure, but I can’t release the pressure no matter how hard I push the tip against the loader. If I tap it hard with a hammer a mist comes out. Do I need to change this tip to one of the “connect under pressure” tips?

Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Are you trying to connect with the engine running and therefore, the system pressurized. When connecting hyd lines, always turn off the engine, then move all the hyd levers a few times to release the pressure. Further, when dis-connecting the lines, follow the same procedure.

Dave
    goat704! likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,162 Posts
    Safest way to do it is to wrap the end of the fitting heavily with a rag(s) and slowly loosen the fitting with 2 wrenches to relieve the pressure.

You are dealing with a very dangerous thing here. Safety glasses and heavy leather gloves are a must. Make sure you wrap the fitting very well.

In the future when you remove it do this

Set the graple down where you want to drop it. Shut off the tractor engine. Move the joystick in all 4 directions a few times. Then remove the couplers. This will relieve any pressure that may be left in the grapple.

Now if you drop it in the sun the pressure will still get into those lines even if you do the above.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    You could certainly try that. I believe the flat-faced couplers are more forgiving although they too can be tough sometimes.

You could also get a pressure release tool. Waite's makes one or some folks make their own. Below are the two that I use (one for each size coupler). These will allow you to capture the oil that squirts out into a container.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waites_tool.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	574321

You can also try just cracking the coupler loose although that too is messy and a real pain if swapping the grapple often.
    BigJim55 and goat704! like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    No, the tractor is off. The pressure is in one of the lines coming off the grapple.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, the first time I hooked it up it was hard but not terrible. When I went to unhook it wouldn’t budge. I moved the levers back and forth and tried again and it came apart easily. Maybe the next time I unhook I need to move the levers back and forth a lot more to make sure all the pressure is off. The tip has the small flat face, but it looks like they make one that has another smaller tip that is labeled connect under pressure.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cpeyton View Post
    No, the tractor is off. The pressure is in one of the lines coming off the grapple.

You can help that by moving all the hyd levers a few times (engine off) when disconnecting it next time. Otherwise, the lines remain pressurized. Also close the grapple before disconnecting it as you are already probably doing as it is the sensible thing to do. If the grapple is open, that might cause pressure on the quick connects. I had to do the crack the fittings thing one time when trying to reconnect my loader lines. Now I am very careful to make sure all line pressure is relieved prior to disconnecting.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Dave—actually I’m parking it wide open and “mouth” down. The manual recommended that. They sell kickstands for $185 each and you need two. I’m having a set made for next to nothing. Then I can store it closed. But when it’s stored closed, won’t the pressure just be on the other line?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpeyton View Post
    Dave—actually I’m parking it wide open and “mouth” down. The manual recommended that. They sell kickstands for $185 each and you need two. I’m having a set made for next to nothing. Then I can store it closed. But when it’s stored closed, won’t the pressure just be on the other line?
    Without seeing a photo of your grapple it is hard to say but typically with them sitting flat on the ground with the jaws closed there isn't any pressure being generated anywhere. You can still have a slight pressure build up due to temperature changes. If you park it when cold and then try to reattach when the temperature is warmer it will usually have an issue. I know my loader does.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Without the kickstands it’s either wide open and mouth down or nothing. It came on a skid upside down with the loader side down. That was fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 315FE023-B113-49C1-9FF5-E4951EE2B47F.jpg  
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast