1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-09-2019 @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks

What is a poppet?

Hello,
    What is a poppet valve and what’s the difference
    between these two fittings? Thanks.

Pioneer O-Ring Pioneer Male Tipe (Poppet Valve)

Pictured below with the cone with a button on top, tip

===

Pioneer O-Ring Pioneer Male Tip

Pictured below with the round top, tip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O-Ring Pioneer Male Tipe (Poppet Valve).jpg   Pioneer O-Ring Pioneer Male.jpg  
    JD 4720, JD 445

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    you see the difference. Sometimes they work well together but most of the time they do not. The female end on the poppet has a small button the poppet pushes in. On my deere they are poppet only. I picked up the ball style and quickly learned my lesson. I have been getting my poppets from Kenny at Bolt on Hooks. He's reasonably priced with excellent service.
    Robnik likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 1,125 Posts
    The poppet and the ball are designed to be 100% compatible with each other. If I'm not mistaken, the guts inside the female couplers are all the same.

I have both types in use on my 3rd SCV. My hydraulic top-link has the ball coupler and the hydraulic blade has the poppet style. About the only thing that I notice is that when disconnected the tappet style seems to leak a bit less but both styles leak plenty while the implement is stored.

Also, the poppet style is supposed to offer slightly more flow but this would only apply to applications where you are already close to maxing out the flow on a particular sized fitting.

If I have a choice I will go with the poppet but if the ball valve is all that is available I will use those also.
    Kennyd, Ray_PA, raco232 and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

stone7 (05-02-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    A poppet valve is a specific engineering term used to describe any valve that uses a movable section against a fixed seat to control the flow of a fluid or gas. The best known examples are the intake and exhaust valves in an internal combustion engine.

The two male hydraulic couplers shown are both a kind of poppet valve. The extra tit on the top of one of them doesn't make it any more or less a poppet valve.

Al
    Jim Timber, Jeff B, Robnik and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-09-2019 @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    The poppet and the ball are designed to be 100% compatible with each other.
    Thanks jgayman ! mille grazie

I just added a new implement that has the old style cone deere male ends.
    And I could not get these to snap into my tractor.
    So I switched out to the ball style male ends.

I noticed these two styles before. I have a grapple rake with the cone style,
    and there have been times when the lines became pressurized by the sun
    or whatever, and I couldn't push in the button, even with a hammer. And had to
    loosen the fittings with wrenches to relieve the pressure. I kinda wish this thing would
    leak a little.

Anyway thanks J, and AlKozak for the engineering fill out information.

Summary:
    Both poppets, different styles. Tractor compatible with both.
    Last edited by stone7; 05-02-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    Robnik and Fozsey like this.
    JD 4720, JD 445

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stone7 View Post
    I noticed these two styles before. I have a grapple rake with the cone style,
    and there have been times when the lines became pressurized by the sun
    or whatever, and I couldn't push in the button, even with a hammer. And had to
    loosen the fittings with wrenches to relieve the pressure. I kinda wish this thing would
    leak a little.
    What you describe can happen with any hydraulic fitting when there is a big temperature swing. My loader seems to give me the most grief.

What you need is a hydraulic pressure relief tool... (see below). These even let you direct the fluid that escapes into a container for reuse or to keep it off the floor. I have two, one that fits the smaller coupler like used on CUT loaders and the second fits the larger 1/2" coupler typically used on the rear SCVs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	603385
    arlen, BigJim55, raco232 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    A poppet valve is a specific engineering term used to describe any valve that uses a movable section against a fixed seat to control the flow of a fluid or gas. The best known examples are the intake and exhaust valves in an internal combustion engine.

The two male hydraulic couplers shown are both a kind of poppet valve. The extra tit on the top of one of them doesn't make it any more or less a poppet valve.
    You are 100% correct. This is one of those situations where someone started calling the tapered couplers "poppet" and the other type "ball" and it just stuck. Anytime someone mentions a "poppet style coupler" we all know exactly what they are talking about.

Here is an interesting tidbit. I went to the Parker website to see if they had official designations for these and believe it or not Parker refers to them as "ball" or "poppet".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poppet.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	603393
    Last edited by jgayman; 05-02-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    BigJim55, Ray_PA, Robnik and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You are 100% correct. This is one of those situations where someone started calling the tapered couplers "poppet" and the other type "ball" and it just stuck. Anytime someone mentions a "poppet style coupler" we all know exactly what they are talking about.
    Thanks for the pointer. I'm in the middle of demonstrating on another thread (which I believe you replied to) that I think I know a lot more about hydraulics than I actually do.

Al
    BigJim55, Ray_PA and Robnik like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements