Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Do I understand power beyond?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks

Do I understand power beyond?

And if I don't, feel free to call me an idiot. You won't be the first or last.

In a "normal" open center type configuration, you have oil coming from the pump and into a spool valve of some sort. When the valve is in the neutral position, a gallery is open between the pump in and tank out and fluid just flows through the valve unimpeded. If the spool is activated, flow is directed to the device controlled by that spool and blocked from the return passage.

Q1 - is this correct?

A power beyond kit seems to create additional pump in and tank out ports on the valve. With nothing connected beyond the valve, these ports would be capped shut and the valve operates as described above.

Q2 - Is this correct?

If you install another valve "beyond" the aforementioned valve with PB, you plumb that valves pump in and tank out ports to the primary valve and the pass through gallery is blocked in the valve with the PB kit installed so that pass through now flows to the beyond valve and back.

Q3 - is this correct?

So if I wanted to add another function elsewhere (say a rear SCV to control the angle cylinders of a back blade) what would be the difference between simply "splicing" into the existing tank return line or installing a PB kit? I understand that the existing SCV would have priority in either case. I guess what I'm wondering is what does a PB kit bring to the table besides potentially easier plumbing?

Al
    Last edited by AlKozak; 05-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    Gizmo2, Levi, mark02tj and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post

In a "normal" open center type configuration, you have oil coming from the pump and into a spool valve of some sort. When the valve is in the neutral position, a gallery is open between the pump in and tank out and fluid just flows through the valve unimpeded. If the spool is activated, flow is directed to the device controlled by that spool and blocked from the return passage.

Q1 - is this correct?
    Correct

A power beyond kit seems to create additional pump in and tank out ports on the valve. With nothing connected beyond the valve, these ports would be capped shut and the valve operates as described above.

Q2 - Is this correct?
    Not quite. With Power Beyond there is no valve. Just a pressure-out and return hose connection on the tractor. Any valving or flow control is normally provided by whatever device/implement you plumb in to the hoses.

If you install another valve "beyond" the aforementioned valve with PB, you plumb that valves pump in and tank out ports to the primary valve and the pass through gallery is blocked in the valve with the PB kit installed so that pass through now flows to the beyond valve and back.

Q3 - is this correct?

So if I wanted to add another function elsewhere (say a rear SCV to control the angle cylinders of a back blade) what would be the difference between simply "splicing" into the existing tank return line or installing a PB kit? I understand that the existing SCV would have priority in either case. I guess what I'm wondering is what does a PB kit bring to the table besides potentially easier plumbing?
    I don't think that is correct but I will let someone with more know chime in. Again, there are no valves with PB. Just full wide-open flow from the tractor.
    Levi, PJR832, Yank and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (05-02-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Remember that power beyond valves have two outlets, the PB, and the tank return.

all valves will have two outlets, except the last valve, which only has one outlet.

If you disconnect a downstream valve, the power beyond port CAN NOT be blocked,
    it must return to the tank.
    Tomfive, Levi, PJR832 and 3 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (05-02-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    I think I understand your confusion and will hopefully square you away with a couple quick distinctions of the implementation of "Power Beyond."

First, there's the general configuration of an open center hydraulic system: You seem to have this down, but it's mucking up your perception of the second part (I'll get to in the next paragraph). With an open center system, the valve has a tank port and a power beyond port to relieve fluid from the spool(s). When you engage a spool, the open center is moved to apply fluid (and thus pressure) to the work port on one side while the other port is diverted to the "tank" or drain port so fluid in the opposite side of the cylinder can escape without pressure. Valves down-stream of this valve now have less (if only partially engaged) or no (if fully engaged) fluid available to them as the inlet fluid is being directed to the selected work port. This is why you can't use your 3pt hitch and your loader at the same time. The 3 point hitch is the last valve in the circuit on most (if not all) tractors. When there are no spools engaged, fluid passes through the center(s) of the valves all the way back to the tank through the power beyond ports on any valves in the circuit.

When you add a "Power Beyond" port to the system, this is actually an external loop of the power beyond port(s) of the other valves. Any equipment you connect to this circuit will see the return valve as the tank drain (even though it's actually being sent back into the power beyond circuit), and that completes the fluid's path to the tank. You could make it work with an additional tank drain connection, and then have full external use of the additional valve spools and 3pt hitch, or you could get a valve capable of handling the higher pressure on it's tank drain port but those are usually more money. Another option if you were needing to use the 3pt hitch while the power beyond circuit was connected to an implement (like a log splitter) would be to put a check valve in the tank drain and then "T" the PB and T connections before returning them to the tractor. That way when the 3pt hitch is pressurized, there would be no pressure applied to the tank port on the equipment, but it would work normally otherwise.

Is that helpful?
    Levi, PJR832, Yank and 1 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (05-02-2018), mark02tj (05-04-2018)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-09-2019 @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry if this is a hijack of the thread.

If you want to use a sub-plate and valve,
    is an open center sub-plate the correct part to select?

I have found what is called an open center sub-plate for
    an electric valve. And the diagram shows in input P and output T
    that looks like it is alway open to allow flow of the PBeyond.
    And and A opening and B opening for the valve.

Is this correct?

If Yes then:
    It's a little hard to understand how any work will get done
    when you open a valve on the sub-plate. It seems like the flow will
    always go back to the T, tank.

But, pressure in a contained area is everywhere the same.
    So, to move the cylinder, it will move if it takes less than system
    pressure, to move the load?

I hope this is correct, otherwise I feel stupid.
    JD 4720, JD 445

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stone7 View Post
    Sorry if this is a hijack of the thread.

If you want to use a sub-plate and valve,
    is an open center sub-plate the correct part to select?

I have found what is called an open center sub-plate for
    an electric valve. And the diagram shows in input P and output T
    that looks like it is alway open to allow flow of the PBeyond.
    And and A opening and B opening for the valve.

Is this correct?

If Yes then:
    It's a little hard to understand how any work will get done
    when you open a valve on the sub-plate. It seems like the flow will
    always go back to the T, tank.

But, pressure in a contained area is everywhere the same.
    So, to move the cylinder, it will move if it takes less than system
    pressure, to move the load?

I hope this is correct, otherwise I feel stupid.
    Are you looking at something like this? https://www.surpluscenter.com/_MoreSpecs/DR9-5883-2.pdf

This sub plate would not work with a valve in use and something else down-stream of it also trying to use pressure.
    PJR832 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    07-09-2019 @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    Are you looking at something like this? https://www.surpluscenter.com/_MoreSpecs/DR9-5883-2.pdf

This sub plate would not work with a valve in use and something else down-stream of it also trying to use pressure.

I'm not really asking this question.

But, using this diagram in your pdf, if you hooked up P and T to the Power Beyond,
    would the valves connected to A and B work
    or move a cylinder?

Would this be a proper use of the power beyond?
    JD 4720, JD 445

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stone7 View Post
    I'm not really asking this question.

But, using this diagram in your pdf, if you hooked up P and T to the Power Beyond,
    would the valves connected to A and B work
    or move a cylinder?

Would this be a proper use of the power beyond?
    It would work, but you'd need to make sure not to use the connected valves at the same time as the 3pt hitch.

That valve block represents how the 3pt hitch integrates into the tractor's system. There is nothing but the tank beyond it, so there is no power beyond port on it's valve body.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post

Q1 - is this correct? Sort of! When the spool is moved on an open center valve, the flow into the valve is directed to a work port and the other work port (now is a return port) is connected to the tank port in the valve.

Q2 - Is this correct? Power beyond does not change the pressure in port. When a valve is set up for power beyond, there is now a power beyond outlet port and a tank port. When the valve spool is centered, the oil flows in the "P" pressure port and out the "PB" port. No flow flows out the tank port when the spool is centered. When a valve is set up for PB, the PB port cannot be blocked. When the valve spool is moved off center, the flow in "P" is directed to a work port and the flow out of the PB port is reduced relative to how far the control is pushed. The other work port is connected to the tank port. This will return the oil from the function cylinder or motor to tank.

Q3 - is this correct? OK. The valve that is connected downstream of the first valve with PB, is connected so that the "P" port of the second valve is connected to the "PB" port of the first valve. The tank port of the second valve is connected to tank (the tank port on most all valves is restricted to no more than about 500 PSI of pressure) and the work ports are connected to the attachment cylinders. If you have another valve downstream like the 3 point rockshaft cylinder, then your second valve is actually in between the first valve and the rockshaft valve. In this case, the second (middle) valve has to also be set up with a "PB" also. In this case, you would connect the "PB" port of the second valve to the pressure port on the rockshaft valve. Then you would have to connect the tank port of the second valve to tank (no pressure) and the work ports would go to your accessories.

So if I wanted to add another function elsewhere (say a rear SCV to control the angle cylinders of a back blade) what would be the difference between simply "splicing" into the existing tank return line or installing a PB kit? I understand that the existing SCV would have priority in either case. I guess what I'm wondering is what does a PB kit bring to the table besides potentially easier plumbing? I'm not really following your thinking here. The main SCV is already set up with "PB". This line supplies the oil to the "P" port of the 3 point rockshaft cylinder. So, if you are going to add a rear SCV, you would have to remove the line that runs from the "PB" port of the main SCV and the "P" port of the rockshaft valve. Then you will have to connect a line/hose to the "PB" port of the main SCV and connect the other end to the "P" port of the rear SCV, which is set up with PB. Then connect a line/hose to the "PB" port on the rear SCV and connect the other end to the "P" port of the rockshaft valve. Then here is where the hard part comes in. You have to connect the "T" port of the rear SCV to a tank port on the tractor. There is really no need to install the JD PB kit if you are only going to install a rear SCV and no BH. You can do the same thing by connecting the hoses as I said above. If you use hose, use 1/4" ID SAE 100R17 hose. This hose is extremely flexible.

Al
    Here is how I installed the rear SCV on my 1025R. You will see, I installed a "T" adapter in the existing tank line so that I could connect the "T" port of the rear SCV to the tee. http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...er-beyond.html
    PJR832 likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (05-02-2018), PJR832 (05-04-2018)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. Yes, that was helpful.

In rereading my post I can see that I didn't do a great job of explaining myself but you all seemed to get the point.

I actually have an engineering background, but it is electrical and not mechanical. Hydraulics are kind of like electronics, but not really. I wanted to make sure I understood the concept.

Conceptually it seems to me (to speak in electrical terms) putting an additional function in series with the tank return** from an existing valve accomplishes the same thing as PB. I also realize that the engineers that design this stuff actually do know more than I do. I'm just trying to understand the reason why you install a PB kit instead of "wiring them in series".

Thanks and regards,

Al

** This is kinda what I mean using no graphics:

Pump=======Pwr In [SCV] Tank out=======Pwr In [Another SCV] Tank out=========Tank
    mark02tj, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast