How Does A Hydraulic Top and Tilt Kit Work? See It In Action!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How Does A Hydraulic Top and Tilt Kit Work? See It In Action!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks

How Does A Hydraulic Top and Tilt Kit Work? See It In Action!

Here is a short video showing how top and tilt works. This is setup on my 2018 John Deere 3046r tractor and replaces the top link and right adjustable link on the three point hitch. I hope this explains how to use Top and Tilt and you can see what it might be helpful to have on your tractor. My version is being controlled with an electric diverter valve which redirects flow from the loader functions to the 4th and 5th valve. Thanks for watching!

Click here to watch on YouTube

Otherwise, view below.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GWT3046r For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (05-24-2018), Auguste (05-26-2018), Kennyd (05-24-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 1,125 Posts
    If the diverter channels hydraulic flow away from the loader, what prevents the bucket from eventually bleeding down and scraping on the ground when the Top 'N Tilt is being used?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If the diverter channels hydraulic flow away from the loader, what prevents the bucket from eventually bleeding down and scraping on the ground when the Top 'N Tilt is being used?
    I would imagine the hydraulic fluid already present on either side of the cylinder holds its position once the hydraulic circuit is closed off and redirected. Just a guess.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    I would imagine the hydraulic fluid already present on either side of the cylinder holds its position once the hydraulic circuit is closed off and redirected. Just a guess.
    If it does, it would be the first JD SCUT/CUT tractor in history to do so. :-)
    ejb69, Jim Timber and Treefarmer like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 08:26 PM
    Thanks
    That's a lot of extra hose out back. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icon_eek.gif 
Views:	140 
Size:	170 Bytes 
ID:	619346
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the informative post.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-09-2019 @ 05:40 AM
    Thanks
    It is possible, depending on the type of hydraulic cartridge used in the diverter, the ports that are not used when the diverter is shifted are pretty much closed. If the FEL ports are are tightly closed by the diverter, then it will not leak down.

Solenoid controlled cartridge valves normally have less internal leakage, and some have check valves in them so they have no internal leakage, so they provide a more positive lock on the hydraulic accessory. I don't know is this diverter has this capabilities, I am just throwing out a possibility. I guess if it doesn't, you would have to shift the diverter back to the FEL and raise it routinely.

It would be like disconnecting the FEL quick connects. If the hose fittings are actually blocked, the FEL will not bleed down.

The reason the FEL or any other cylinder attachments leak down, isn't due to the attachment itself, it is due to the internal leakage in the SCV on the tractor.

Having the solenoid controlled diverter in line after the SCV, this diverter could provide a more positively closed valve than a standard SCV. Don't know, but maybe.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I guess if you're asking if the loader just drifts down, then I haven't noticed that. However, in the applications I'm using it in so far, I'm don't remain in the "engaged" diverter mode for long. I have needed to use my loader functions, so I switch back to loader functions after a few minutes. I'll report back if I notice issues with drift.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 08:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    It is possible, depending on the type of hydraulic cartridge used in the diverter, the ports that are not used when the diverter is shifted are pretty much closed. If the FEL ports are are tightly closed by the diverter, then it will not leak down.

Solenoid controlled cartridge valves normally have less internal leakage, and some have check valves in them so they have no internal leakage, so they provide a more positive lock on the hydraulic accessory. I don't know is this diverter has this capabilities, I am just throwing out a possibility. I guess if it doesn't, you would have to shift the diverter back to the FEL and raise it routinely.

It would be like disconnecting the FEL quick connects. If the hose fittings are actually blocked, the FEL will not bleed down.

The reason the FEL or any other cylinder attachments leak down, isn't due to the attachment itself, it is due to the internal leakage in the SCV on the tractor.

Having the solenoid controlled diverter in line after the SCV, this diverter could provide a more positively closed valve than a standard SCV. Don't know, but maybe.
    You're over-simplifying this a bit and missing another part of the equation: Air

You have internal leakage around the piston seals, but that's usually pretty minimal unless they're worn or scored from dirty oil. You also have air that gets introduced from cavitation which can lead to sag and sponginess in the mechanism.

Hydraulics are not mechanical holding devices intended to support loads indefinitely. They have internal losses which are compensated for and otherwise simply accepted as part of the beast. I'm actually impressed with how long my rockshaft will support a load when not under power. My loader will leak down much faster.
    johncanfield likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    You have internal leakage around the piston seals, but that's usually pretty minimal unless they're worn or scored from dirty oil. You also have air that gets introduced from cavitation which can lead to sag and sponginess in the mechanism.

Hydraulics are not mechanical holding devices intended to support loads indefinitely. They have internal losses which are compensated for and otherwise simply accepted as part of the beast. I'm actually impressed with how long my rockshaft will support a load when not under power. My loader will leak down much faster.
    The rockshaft on my 2720 will stay up for weeks even with a 300+ lb implement attached.

Like you, the loader is another story. Based on my own experience and from reading forum posts it seems the problem is much worse on newer JD SCUT/CUT tractors. Folks with older models (650, 750, etc.) report that their loader will stay in position a long time even after the engine is turned off. Whereas folks with newer tractors find they bleed down pretty fast. JD of course has their little bleed-down spreadsheet which clearly shows that the tolerances in their hydraulic components has gotten worse as the years progress.

When I was running a subsoiler back and forth in a field with the bucket slightly raised I was surprised just how often I need to hit the SCV lever to bump the loader back up into position.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast